U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 160,769 times

Advertisements

Any comments on the best cell phone provider for orlando and lake mary areas?

So far I've come across ATT, Verizon, and T-mobile. Interested in signal strength and quality. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,230,958 times
Since I moved down here, I have had Sprint from Sept 2005-March 2007 and ATT from April 2007-current. I have noticed that Sprint has better coverage in this part of the country than where I moved fro, but I did still lose a lot of calls. A LOT!

ATT works a lot better for me now, I seem to always have full coverage and I have a data phone now (not with Sprint) and the extra features all work very well. ATT does not have a big HQ down here like Sprint but seems to have a very good strength and feasability. I do not leave the city that often, so this may be a little different outside the city.

All in all, I would recommend ATT over Sprint, but I cannot speak for Verizon or T-Mobile.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM

39 posts, read 53,300 times
Metro-PC all the way!!!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,230,958 times
Does Metro PCS work outside Florida? You should explain how they work...

From what I have heard, there is a flat fee, no contract, fairly cheap, etc.
But I was under the assumption that it does not work outside the state.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 AM

7 posts, read 160,769 times
I've heard about Metro PCS, but would like something that will work outside of Florida (since we do travel sometimes and need something outside of FL).

Keep the advice coming...thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
I have ATT, they have plans that give you Nationwide roaming which is good if you leave the state.

I don't get dropped calls either. I love the roll over minutes as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM

69 posts, read 412,669 times
No problems with Sprint for me. And the SERO pricing doesn't hurt!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,947,521 times
I thought Sprint was the worse service I have ever had. Their customer service was horrific . I would never recommend them... and whats worse I actually worked for them. Working for them was fine but their product sucked. I've had AT&T it was good but a few dead zones here and there but pretty good over all. T-Mobile is cheaper than AT&T and Verizon but thee network isnt as strong. Nextel - I did not care for them when I had them. I had Cingular and did not really care for them. but now they are AT&T.. which I would say is much better for Cingular.
I have Verizon, they are expensive but the network is solid. and customer service is pretty good. If you make changes to your plan it ropes you in to another lease period. There are lots of locations and the phones are good.. well except the Motorola Razor... that phjone sucks and I won't buy Motorola products as a result. I like the LG's the best. Verizon does not use a sim card so if your phone dies you lose everything unless you have pc backup capabilities on it.
I had some clients that had Metro when thery were just coming to Orlando, they had horrible service as they had no towers at that point. their rates are the lowest by far. Someone tolkd me they are now teaming up with the Verizon network but I find that ahrd to believe. sounded more like a wish than reality. I hope enough people switch so the rates of the others will fall.
Since deregulatoin we have gone from $15 / mon unlimited local calls and .25c/ min long distance calls with land lines to .25-.50c/ minute for all calls. We need these companies to roll back their profit margins and charge fair rates for calls. and these overage rates are in need of some serious regulation. When I worked with my cohorts in the early days and we built the digital PCS service we could not believe they would ever recoup the cost. None of us believed anyone wouold pay $100/month for a phone, boy were we wrong. My Verizon which includes 1 line and a computer card and line is basically $200/month. then I have my Bellsouth DSL line for $25 (that is a good rate for a full DSL) Times have changed and now you can reach me everywhere, anytime. What happened to the 40 hour work week? lol

Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 PM

69 posts, read 412,669 times
I don't know, I've had Sprint for about a year, and their customer service, in my case has been nothing short of excellent. The reps have been friendly and helpful. Way better than what I've experienced with Cingular. Coverage is pretty good, but there couple of dead spots. Thankfully roaming is free, so that's not such a big deal. Regarding coverage, for CDMA at least, Verizon seems to be the best, and Alltel seems pretty bad.

My wife has a tracfone which uses AT&T's network, and the coverage is very good. I used to have T-mobile, their customer service was great, but I couldn't do with GSM and the slow edge speeds anymore.

Verizon seems great if you don't mind their high prices. Sprint's $30/mo SERO plan with 500 minutes, free nights & weekends and unlimited EVDO connection works really well for me.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,225,039 times
I have no problems with coverage using T mobile, Metro pcs I heard is only good around city areas that have metro towers if not you either have no service or you pay a roaming fee. I would not go with Metro pcs if you leave the orlando area alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or