Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:29 PM

198 posts, read 224,273 times

Advertisements

My job is in D.C. and I work remotely with light travel so I can live anywhere there's a major airport.
I'd appreciate some pointers as to which area of Orlando I should be looking at for apartments
that are in a trendy/fun area that is also well suited for dating in the 25-35 year old range.

I would like to rent a 2 bedroom that looks somewhat like this:

My budget is $1500 to $2000.

Orlando is a large area so I would like to get a general idea what part of Orlando I should be looking
at when I search the apartment rental websites.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 09:46 PM

24,375 posts, read 26,872,010 times
Check out "The Rialto" in Dr Phillips

Really nice area, walking distance to restaurants, bars, spas, salons, banks etc, 2 bedrooms within your budget.

Apartments in Orlando, FL | The Rialto Luxury Apartments

Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 PM

2,128 posts, read 4,502,130 times
I would look in downtown Orlando. There are several new developments around. The Sevens, Nora, SteelHouse, Lofts at SoDo.. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Dr. Phillips is a great area too, but I wouldn't describe it as hip or trendy. There are some nice new apartment complexes near there though that look just like your example photo: Sea Isle, Integra Cove, Altis at Sand Lake, The Courtney, The District at Universal Blvd, just to name a few. The Rialto, as bmw pointed out, is the most central to Dr. Phillips.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:56 AM

27,071 posts, read 43,723,281 times
Check out 55West, The Sevens or Sky House which most closely match your style pictured and is about as hip/trendy as Orlando gets. As a long-time former DC resident myself, just bear in mind you won't find anything close to what DC feels like in terms of trendiness or an energetic vibe.

https://www.55westaptsorlando.com/ap...orlando/photos
The Sevens Gallery
https://skyhouseorlando.com/photo-gallery/

Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 AM

You could also look into "The Vue" which is in Downtown by Lake Eola. They are ondos but a lot of them are for rent.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Thanks guys for all the help ! I drove over to Orlando yesterday
and I was pleasantly surprised. Orlando seems to be newer,
more vibrant, more upbeat, with more to do than Tampa.

I like that it's cozy with everything being walk-able. Tampa is all
spread out and full of decay. Plus Orlando seems to have a younger
demographic than Tampa. I feel like Tampa is 51% (or more)
retirement age. Not that there is anything wrong with that but
I prefer a younger demographic. I think the air quality in Orlando
Is better also. Less exhaust smell and mold in the air than Tampa.
Anyone else think the air is cleaner in Orlando?

I viewed available apartments at Nora, Sevens, and Skyhouse.

Sevens, Skyhouse, and 55W are all sister properties owned by Greystar.
The agents at Sevens and Skyhouse both told me to pass on 55W
because "it is non-stop party central and the noise and craziness
would get to me". I also drove by "The Rialto" but it was after 6PM
by the time I got down there so I only drove down Sand Lake Road.

Nora:
Nicest interiors of the bunch.
100% quiet with hurricane type windows.
I heard ZERO noise when I was inside the units.

Sevens:
Units were a little more shop-worn than Nora.
THE BEST POOL. The best gym.
I heard cars/motorcycles through the windows when I was inside
these units.

Skyhouse:
Older Units and not up-to-date. Bathroom light was straight out of a 1970s Motel 6.
Units had too much wear and tear for me to consider.
Pool looked dated also.
Hallways smelled a little bit.

The Rialto -
Sand Lake is a nightmare for traffic. I doubt I would want to deal with it daily.
The yuppy shops might take all my money.

I'll be checking out rental websites now that I have a better feel for the area.
I think I want to be downtown either near the lake or near 777/Nora. I want
to be walking distance of Church street but not living in the middle of the noise.

If anyone has any more suggestions for downtown apartments or the names of condos I should check for on rental websites I'm all ears.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS and one more.... THANKS !!!!!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 AM

27,071 posts, read 43,723,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy View Post
Thanks guys for all the help ! I drove over to Orlando yesterday
and I was pleasantly surprised. Orlando seems to be newer,
more vibrant, more upbeat, with more to do than Tampa.
I like that it's cozy with everything being walk-able. Tampa is all
spread out and full of decay. Plus Orlando seems to have a younger
demographic than Tampa. I feel like Tampa is 51% (or more)
retirement age. Not that there is anything wrong with that but
I prefer a younger demographic. I think the air quality in Orlando
Is better also. Less exhaust smell and mold in the air than Tampa.
Anyone else think the air is cleaner in Orlando?
Most of the time a "drive by" doesn't tell the whole story. While much of Orlando is much newer than Tampa since much of it didn't exist pre-Disney, I wouldn't call Tampa "decayed". Pretty much all of South Tampa, downtown neighborhoods like Seminole Heights and the entertainment district in/around Ybor City is all older or historic and seen by most as very desirable places to live/play. Orlando is definitely cozier and a good bit smaller but not any more to do than Tampa, especially considering proximity to neighboring St Pete and it's city offerings as well as the beaches. Air quality is actually better on the coast so that might be a bit of the new/sparkly influence which seems to be leading your decision-making process. Lastly here's the demographics of both which is pretty much dead even in terms of age...Tampa's population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34.7 years old. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals. Orlando's population was spread out with 12.0% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 36.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:10 AM

@Gulf,

I feel the same way about Orlando and Tampa.

Check out...

101 Eola and The Vue

They are condos but have a lot of units for rent

Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Most of the time a "drive by" doesn't tell the whole story. While much of Orlando is much newer than Tampa since much of it didn't exist pre-Disney, I wouldn't call Tampa "decayed". Pretty much all of South Tampa, downtown neighborhoods like Seminole Heights and the entertainment district in/around Ybor City is all older or historic and seen by most as very desirable places to live/play. Orlando is definitely cozier and a good bit smaller but not any more to do than Tampa, especially considering proximity to neighboring St Pete and it's city offerings as well as the beaches. Air quality is actually better on the coast so that might be a bit of the new/sparkly influence which seems to be leading your decision-making process. Lastly here's the demographics of both which is pretty much dead even in terms of age...Tampa's population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34.7 years old. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals. Orlando's population was spread out with 12.0% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 36.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals.

I think I view "newer and cleaner" as better and "older/shabby/dirtier" as decay. All I know is that compared to "ChannelSide, South Howard Street, and YBOR" where single people spend a lot of time, downtown Orlando seemed much cleaner/nicer to me. The air quality in downtown tampa does not seem as clean to me either. Maybe at St. Pete beach the air is pristine, but I smell a lot of car exhaust in Tampa. In downtown St Pete and South Tampa, I smell a lot of mold in the air. That musty smell. I didn't sense this in Orlando. I didn't notice any old people walking around downtown Orlando either. My opinions are my own and reflect what I saw yesterday. I was really surprised in a good way.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:27 PM

16,987 posts, read 15,244,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy View Post
I think I view "newer and cleaner" as better and "older/shabby/dirtier" as decay. All I know is that compared to "ChannelSide, South Howard Street, and YBOR" where single people spend a lot of time, downtown Orlando seemed much cleaner/nicer to me. The air quality in downtown tampa does not seem as clean to me either. Maybe at St. Pete beach the air is pristine, but I smell a lot of car exhaust in Tampa. In downtown St Pete and South Tampa, I smell a lot of mold in the air. That musty smell. I didn't sense this in Orlando. I didn't notice any old people walking around downtown Orlando either. My opinions are my own and reflect what I saw yesterday. I was really surprised in a good way.
There are A LOT of bums downtown Orlando. I work there, and not a single day goes by when I don't get harassed (aggressively) by bums. That is my main issue with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando