Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times

Advertisements

This is sort of freaking me out. They marked defective drywall and there is a reader that says this (see attachment) about defective drywall. Something about materials shortages during the time these were built. Is this something to be concerned about? Everyone says BP is so great, but this has me a little worried....
Attached Thumbnails
Just put an offer on Baldwin Park and see a note about Defective Drywall-capture.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 PM

17,187 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Wow... I personally wouldn't want to be in there... Research this carefully and see if this is something to really be concerned about.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:44 PM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
This is sort of freaking me out. They marked defective drywall and there is a reader that says this (see attachment) about defective drywall. Something about materials shortages during the time these were built. Is this something to be concerned about? Everyone says BP is so great, but this has me a little worried....
Do you know if the issue has been mitigated at all?

You are in a catch 22 type situation at the moment, since you are not the homeowner then you cannot get a proper inspection/testing performed as samples will need to be taken (While minimal, it is still "damage"). Without the inspection/testing you cannot confirm/deny the presence of the drywall that is known to impact health and cause corrosion.

If it were me, I would push the owner to sign a waiver/addendum to pursue proper testing, otherwise I would likely walk away from the deal.

[edit]Here's a link that provides some info - https://ietbuildinghealth.com/chines...spections.html[/edit]

Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Do you know if the issue has been mitigated at all?

You are in a catch 22 type situation at the moment, since you are not the homeowner then you cannot get a proper inspection/testing performed as samples will need to be taken (While minimal, it is still "damage"). Without the inspection/testing you cannot confirm/deny the presence of the drywall that is known to impact health and cause corrosion.

If it were me, I would push the owner to sign a waiver/addendum to pursue proper testing, otherwise I would likely walk away from the deal.

[edit]Here's a link that provides some info - https://ietbuildinghealth.com/chines...spections.html[/edit]
Second time today i agree with the above member!

Old 09-18-2017, 05:02 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times
OP - What do you mean by "they marked defective drywall"

Who did that?

Was that your agent who is just looking out for you - in the contract that YOU submitted - to force your seller to disclose or allow you to inspect? That's typically what Addendum M is for.

Or is that actually listed in the Seller's disclosure?

I have a feeling you're getting up in arms a bit early here - without more info.

I would proceed with your contract and use your due diligence during your inspection period to figure this out.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
OP - What do you mean by "they marked defective drywall"

Who did that?

Was that your agent who is just looking out for you - in the contract that YOU submitted - to force your seller to disclose or allow you to inspect? That's typically what Addendum M is for.

Or is that actually listed in the Seller's disclosure?

I have a feeling you're getting up in arms a bit early here - without more info.

I would proceed with your contract and use your due diligence during your inspection period to figure this out.
Yes, I think I am getting up in arms early. Apparently it's a standard rider here in FL for homes that were built during this time period. The unit may, or may not have this drywall. Only way to be sure is to inspect. I will inspect once again, and hope that all is ok, otherwise we may find ourselves walking away from yet another home...

Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 AM

36 posts, read 73,129 times
Just a suggestion: If you do have to move forward and this falls through, you can request the seller's disclosure before a contract/offer is written on any future homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando