Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,671 times

Advertisements

Our upstairs unit went out on us. Our a/c guy is trying to convince us that we should go straight cool since it's a cheaper unit and we don't get that many super cold days in this area. We have tried researching online, but after weeks of trying to decide while our daughter puts up with a window unit to stay cool, we don't feel any closer to a decision. I would like to hear peoples' personal experience with both types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Hmm, I can't speak from experience, but after reading up on straight cool I wouldn't do it. It probably depends on your tolerance for a cold house. I don't even let my house get below 72 in the winter. I know some people that would open their windows on a night like last night. Definitely not us.

"While you may pay significantly more for an air conditioning unit with a heat pump, this is the route that many homeowners are choosing for new installations – since it allows them the benefits of an air conditioner and a heat pump. For homeowners with new construction homes with more than three units, it’s optimal to go with an air conditioning system with a heat pump because it is more efficient and also costs less to install the electrical service, since straight cool systems pull more amps when heating. While a heat pump is much more costly upfront than a traditional straight cool system, the cost savings may be worthwhile depending on how frequently you use your heat. If you don’t often turn on your heat during the winter, even when the temperature is very cold outside, a straight cool system will work for you just fine."

Last edited by Pete C; 10-26-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 05:48 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
I wouldn’t want to be without central heating when we buy a house in Florida. Setting up a bunch of space heaters would be a hassle, it’s less safe, and not even heating.

I would suggest checking out a two stage central air conditioning unit, instead of a single stage air conditioning unit. We have a two state central air conditioning unit in Minnesota, and it works much better than a single stage unit. It alternates between cooling and dehumidification. So, you can reduce the humidity without lowering the temperature too much. The two stage air conditioning works great in the short humid part of the short Minnesota summers. The two stage air conditioning would probably work much better in Florida where you can benefit from reduced humidity in your house without having to lower the temperature too much, during the long cooling season. The two stage air conditioning costs more than a single stage unit, but it’s worth the extra cost, as long as you can afford to spend a little more money to improve your comfort level.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:54 PM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Whats the cost difference that he is trying to sell you on?

In looking at a page that came up via Google: Carrier Packaged Unit Price List | WebHVAC.com

A 3 Ton Carrier 15 Seer unit would run:
A/C Only - $3,999
A/C with Heat Pump - $4,799

Personally, I would go with the heat pump. $800 isn't worth the hassle/risk of setting up space warmers, sleeping downstairs or freezing my @ss off.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:27 AM

73 posts, read 65,004 times
Virtually all central AC systems have heating coils so "space heaters" don't figure into the decision.
Heating a house isn't a large expense in central Florida.
Electric resistance heating while inefficient, might cost you on the order of $100.00-200.00/ year on a 2000 Sq. ft. home.
A heat pump might save you. $50.00-$100.00/year on electricity.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynex View Post
Virtually all central AC systems have heating coils so "space heaters" don't figure into the decision.
Heating a house isn't a large expense in central Florida.
Electric resistance heating while inefficient, might cost you on the order of $100.00-200.00/ year on a 2000 Sq. ft. home.
A heat pump might save you. $50.00-$100.00/year on electricity.
Thanks for clearing this up.

In other words, straight A/Cs are what they call “reverse cycle” for heat, correct?

Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 PM

73 posts, read 65,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Thanks for clearing this up.

In other words, straight A/Cs are what they call “reverse cycle” for heat, correct?
No, "reverse cycle" is when an Heat pump/AC system is warming the house in heat pump mode.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynex View Post
No, "reverse cycle" is when an Heat pump/AC system is warming the house in heat pump mode.
Okay, since my AC has the heating cycle it’s actually a heat pump then?

Gets confusing because I’ve heard the term reverse-cycle AC frequently.

I was also confused by your comment stating that virtually all ACs have heating coils.

The term heat pump just gives me the impression of being something separate.

So my ideal unit would probably be a 2 stage heat pump I guess. I’ve heard the 2 stage is more efficient and helps reduce the humidity more than single stage. Heard that from customers, not a salesperson.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,671 times
Thanks, guys! We have decided to stick with a heat pump like our old unit had.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:36 PM

...so the electric coils that are found in most ACs providing what’s called electric resistance heating.

Did I finally get it right? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando