Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 19,100 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with all the homeless downtown these days? It has definitely gotten much worse just in the past couple of years. I can deal with a few here and there or big groups congretating in the usual suspect locations like Eola Park or the Library area. But now they are EVERYWHERE downtown. Yikes! All along Orange Ave thru the CBD it's loaded with them claiming spots on the sidewalk or just milling around bothering everybody. You have to dodge them constantly. What a complete turnoff. That's unreal for such a small city.

I thought with all the new apartments and businesses down there, the homeless population in high profile areas would have waned off a bit. But no, it's the complete opposite. Too bad. It could be such a cool little city, but way too many bums per capita. I can't believe anyone would pay big $$$ to live in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
The more vibrant a downtown gets, the more homeless show up. It's economics, go where there are a lot of people walking around that isnt private property. It's all relative though, I have a friend visiting right now from San Francisco and we were out along Orange Street etc last night for Halloween and she mentioned how little homeless there are here. With that being said, I appreciate the attitude many Orlandoeans have regarding homeless. Where I moved from it's almost as if they encourage it by ignoring publically drunk or drugged out homeless people on the streets, people camping where they aren't supposed to, lowering penalties for car break-ins etc.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 10-28-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Good points. San Fran has always had an unusually high amount of homeless. It just looks like the ratio of bums to non-bums here is worse than other hip areas. Hoboken, Chelsea in Manhattan, etc are all cool & hip, yet very few visible bums. Maybe we went to downtown Orlando at a bad time of day and on a Sat with no 9 to 5'ers in the mix to balance things out.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:51 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabant1 View Post
Good points. San Fran has always had an unusually high amount of homeless. It just looks like the ratio of bums to non-bums here is worse than other hip areas. Hoboken, Chelsea in Manhattan, etc are all cool & hip, yet very few visible bums. Maybe we went to downtown Orlando at a bad time of day and on a Sat with no 9 to 5'ers in the mix to balance things out.
Yeah SF's homeless population is really bad, other cities are not as extreme. Downtown Orlando seems to only be happening at night on weekends, as most places are bars and clubs. During the day it's dead, but when UCF builds its downtown campus along with Creative Village, we could see retail etc move in to give people a reason to visit during the day... it will take awhile though imo.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yeah SF's homeless population is really bad, other cities are not as extreme. Downtown Orlando seems to only be happening at night on weekends, as most places are bars and clubs. During the day it's dead, but when UCF builds its downtown campus along with Creative Village, we could see retail etc move in to give people a reason to visit during the day... it will take awhile though imo.
I disagree. Not dead at all during the day. This has changed significantly in recent years. It is VERY active.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:07 AM

834 posts, read 528,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabant1 View Post
I can deal with a few here and there....
How noble of you!

You are truly an inspiration to us all.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:36 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
SF (population 865K) and Orlando (population 275K) are on such even keels.....seriously? Evidently given the population Orlando has a higher concentration, and when compared to similar sized cities it's clear there's a significant problem.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
How noble of you!

You are truly an inspiration to us all.
Thank you! We have this pet peeve about being harassed while minding our business when walking the streets.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:14 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
If you want to be free from the dregs of society perhaps you should move into a fairy tale world where nothing bad happens like Disney World.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If you want to be free from the dregs of society perhaps you should move into a fairy tale world where nothing bad happens like Disney World.
The point of my post was that there are too many downtown for it's size. And if you don't think that's just a tad of an issue, then YOU'RE living in a fairyland. I lived in NYC area in the '70s, so don't tell me about dregs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando