Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 41,010 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Relocating to Orlando Area this summer. I'm in the healthcare industry and my husband in hospitality industry. Don't have a job that we are relocating too but looking for great areas to consider living. I have one child in elementary and they other in Middle School. So we are looking to live in a good school district, but also if have to commute looking for something that is 30 minutes or less into downtown Orlando.

So, thanks in advance for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Winter Park
Dr Phillips

Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 AM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
Seminole county schools are considered the best in Central FL. Areas like Lake Mary/Heathrow, Winter Springs, and Oviedo are family friendly areas with good schools in this county.

What is your budget though? Can't possibly tell you what is "nice" without knowing what that would be relative to your budget.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Winter Park
Dr Phillips
Thanks for responding. Are these areas in a A rating school district. How far are they downtown?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Seminole county schools are considered the best in Central FL. Areas like Lake Mary/Heathrow, Winter Springs, and Oviedo are family friendly areas with good schools in this county.

What is your budget though? Can't possibly tell you what is "nice" without knowing what that would be relative to your budget.
We are middle income family. "Nice" relatively speaking to low crime rate. Family friendly. A rating school. 30 minutes or less to downtown.

Thoughts on Altamonte Springs

Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenLiz View Post
Thanks for responding. Are these areas in a A rating school district. How far are they downtown?
No problem, the schools are A’s and B’s in these areas. Families choose these areas because of the schools and safety as well as central location to shopping, dining, things to do.

Interactive database: 2017 Central Florida school grades - Orlando Sentinel

Dr Phillips to downtown without traffic is around 22 minutes

Winter Park to downtown without traffic is around 15 minutes

The exact time depends on the time of day you are traveling and what part of the area your home is located.

Generally speaking, it’s a 30 minute commute to downtown from Dr Phillips with normal commute traffic and 20-25 from Winter Park. I’d recommend using google maps with live traffic turned on and entering the to/from destination during the time you’ll be commuting to get an accurate estimate.

Winter Park has an edge over Dr Phillips in my opinion, but it’s also a lot more expensive. Dr Phillips is still an expensive area because it is arguably the most desirable area in that section of Orlando, but compared to Winter Park, you can get a much nicer home for the same price.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:40 AM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
Quote:
We are middle income family. "Nice" relatively speaking to low crime rate. Family friendly. A rating school. 30 minutes or less to downtown.

The Lake Brantley/Wekiva area of Altamonte Springs is very nice. It's on the westside of I-4. If you work with a realtor they would know exactly what area to point you in.

Oviedo & Winter Springs would be somewhat comparable as well. You can find a nice 4/3 with a pool for around $350k - $400k in all of these areas.

The Winter Park & Dr. Phillips areas, while being the nicest in Central FL, are by far the most expensive. You'd be lucky to find a 3/2 fixer upper with a 1-car carport for less than $500k in the desirable areas of Winter Park.

Be careful with this also if you are interested in looking at Winter Park due to its proximity. You can find a Winter Park address yet be in some rougher neighborhoods. If you go east of the Semoran & Aloma intersection, you'll see what I mean. Technically Winter Park addresses, and you could find a more updated home for around $300k, but not a great area.

For Dr. Phillips, you're starting at at least $350k for a small single family home that might need some updating as well. Realistically though the average price is closer to the $600k-$700k mark.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:01 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
The Lake Brantley/Wekiva area of Altamonte Springs is very nice. It's on the westside of I-4. If you work with a realtor they would know exactly what area to point you in.
The east side of Altamonte Springs (east of I-4, south of 434 and west of Palm Springs Drive) in the Rolling Hills area is nice as well, plus the area on the north side of 434 east of I-4 (and west of Rangeline Road) which is part of Longwood.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:

If you need A rated schools you have no choice but Seminole County.

If you need 30 minutes to Downtown Orlando, realistically Oviedo is your only go to.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM

17,175 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If you need A rated schools you have no choice but Seminole County.

If you need 30 minutes to Downtown Orlando, realistically Oviedo is your only go to.
Longwood and Altamonte are within 30 minutes to downtown. I actually think the drive into downtown is easier (probably closer too) than Oviedo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando