Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
Yes but an A rated school in Florida is often no where near an A rated school in other states- so yes, an A rated school here is likely a 7 or less compared nationally.
Personal opinion. There are A rated choice schools throughout Florida that rival anything up north or out west
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Personal opinion. There are A rated choice schools throughout Florida that rival anything up north or out west
If they have the funding & parents who participate in the communities. Let's not kid ourselves but most northern/midwestern schools are much better funded than southern ones.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:11 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I omitted Altamonte Springs primarily for the traffic/congestion which can be a deal breaker for many, though agree the Lake Brantley school district is a good option. The city of Winter Springs overall has slipped a bit and for whatever reason why seems like it was especially hard hit by the housing/foreclosure crisis with a lot of rundown neighborhoods, outside of Tuscawilla which I think is still a very desirable choice. Lyman's "lower rating" is relative and given it's much more diverse student body versus most of the other Seminole County Schools, wouldn't be quick to diminish what amounts to a pretty respectable high school which if in most any other district in FL would be among the top options. It's also the Engineering Magnet program for Seminole County which puts out some impressive results there alone.
That is interesting about Lyman. I kinda had a feeling it might be that way, because I remember just a couple years ago it was getting high scores yet local word of mouth was still negative.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
If they have the funding & parents who participate in the communities. Let's not kid ourselves but most northern/midwestern schools are much better funded than southern ones.
And let's not kid ourselves into believing funding = outcomes.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:19 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Actually, in general, it does.

At least with public education.

States with higher funding on average have 10-15% higher scores on SAT/ACT and far higher pass rates on AP Exams.

Florida boasts highest amount of students TAKING the AP exams, and omits it has the highest percentage failing them.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Actually, in general, it does.

At least with public education.

States with higher funding on average have 10-15% higher scores on SAT/ACT and far higher pass rates on AP Exams.

Florida boasts highest amount of students TAKING the AP exams, and omits it has the highest percentage failing them.
Correlation causation fallacy. Money likely matters to a point (it's important to have safe schools without leaky roofs, adequate supplies, vpk/preschool etc). But beyond that, parental involvement and zip code is a far greater predictor of success than just simply throwing more money at the problem

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016...ericas-schools

Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Funding matters, but I agree with your premise that funding does not mean everything. San Francisco is a great example of this.

If you make it impossible to fire teachers who are horrible unless they have sex with a student, it doesn't matter how much funding they have.

If you allow students to get away with breaking the rules and causing disruptions, it doesn't matter how much funding they have.

In my opinion, the most important thing is making sure teachers are held accountable and that students that cause disruptions are not tolerated.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Funding matters, but I agree with your premise that funding does not mean everything. San Francisco is a great example of this.

If you make it impossible to fire teachers who are horrible unless they have sex with a student, it doesn't matter how much funding they have.

If you allow students to get away with breaking the rules and causing disruptions, it doesn't matter how much funding they have.

In my opinion, the most important thing is making sure teachers are held accountable and that students that cause disruptions are not tolerated.
Funding matters to a point but beyond a certain level, accountability will matter more than funding as you've pointed out.

I grew up in the Florida education system and ended up next to ivy leaguers in grad school where I could hold my own. People love to dog on Florida schools without looking at the outcomes. Florida is actually pretty middle of the road in that regard, and there are excellent AP, IB and magnet programs out there for motivated students

Old 04-09-2018, 07:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Funding matters to a point but beyond a certain level, accountability will matter more than funding as you've pointed out.

I grew up in the Florida education system and ended up next to ivy leaguers in grad school where I could hold my own. People love to dog on Florida schools without looking at the outcomes. Florida is actually pretty middle of the road in that regard, and there are excellent AP, IB and magnet programs out there for motivated students
Middle of the road isn't good enough.
Motivating un-motivated students is important for the general population.
Having **** poor staff and incredibly high turnover is a part of lack of funding.

Bachelors Degrees awarded by Capita : Florida 47 out of 51.
Colleges Per Capita: Florida 46 out of 50.
10th highest incarceration rate in the country.

As you and others have brought up- Accountability, Zip Code, Family Education, $$$$ are huge factors in one's future... take those away and you're left with the quality of public education. If that's a failure, then these kids are f$*#ed.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
Tallahassee is probably better than otown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando