Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 17,327 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking forward to relocate to Sanford Florida before the end of this year.
My wife and I moved my Brooklyn, New York 3 years ago because of the hope that we can raise our children here better than New York. But honestly we do not see them growing here as we anticipated. City of New York and Phoenix is like comparing apple and cactus, I cannot say any bad things about Phoenix, it's just that everyday it seems we are missing something. We know we cannot move back to New York anymore due to high standard of living. We have 4 and 8 years old children and they love to go to the beach, they can spend the entire day playing with the waves.
I moved a lot, I was in the US Navy and it is not easy that I've been into different places because I am kinda hard to be pleased now because I constantly compare places from the place I've been. I lived in Chicago, San Antonio Texas, California, Jacksonville and Lakeland Florida, New York, and now I live here in Arizona. I was also stationed oversees in Japan and in Hawaii. Now I want to settle... Though I am out for couple of years before we have our oldest son, I am used to moving a lot but I really want to settle in one place to raise my kids.
I am currently working in the City as Housing Inspector, but they do not really offer good benefits here, salary is low versus the volume of work they give you. I have a job offer in Sanford Florida to become a Nursing Home Administrator (Though they offered me to go to school for free) I know this is a though call, and big responsibility. But since I've been in the USNavy, I was trained to perform complicated obligations.
I just want some encouragement for this relocation, I never been to Sanford Florida, I know Florida's weather, we are aware how humid, hot, and raining almost everyday. But we love the beach so much, I love fishing, the beach and the green sights.
Please kindly give me some insights and feedback to other people who moved from other places like where I've been to Sanford Florida. Did you regret your move, did you enjoy it, how did you build your network of people around you? Being said that I was in the USNavy, I am not going to detail my behavioral health status but I just want to say that I can easily get bored, I need to drive a lot and have lots of fun to overcome whatever I am suffering from my previous experience from the service.

Thank you so much for future answers and HOOYAA Navy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:22 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
You don't have to live in Sanford, you can live in Heathrow or Lake Mary, which are both very nice areas with easy commutes. Don't worry about it, I'm sure you won't hate it and probably will enjoy it. There are nice beaches nearby and also nice natural springs too. There are lots of areas to go biking, swimming, and hiking. You can get an annual pass to Disney or Universal. Don't worry.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
OP, do you have a Nursing Home Administrator's license, or do you have the qualifications to get a license in order to be a NHA in Florida? You mentioned something about a "behavioral health status" -- is that going to stand in the way of your becoming licensed? Here's the board's website so you can check: Florida Board of Nursing Home Administrators- Licensing, Renewals & Information

Regarding Sanford, there are some nice areas to live around there, but it's not what I would call close to the beach. It's probably 30 miles from New Smyrna Beach for example. There are lots of lakes in central Florida, but they're not for swimming in.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:09 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Regarding Sanford, there are some nice areas to live around there, but it's not what I would call close to the beach. It's probably 30 miles from New Smyrna Beach for example. There are lots of lakes in central Florida, but they're not for swimming in.
It's more like a good 45 minutes, unless a sunny weekend where it's more likely an hour. Sanford has a number of great neighborhoods to choose from and has one of the few strongest school districts in the state. For the OP, what is your housing budget and for what size home? That can help narrow the options for you.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:23 PM

Thank you for all your response. About the behavioral status, I have PTSD a common problem of Veterans like me. But, I have tons of support, and my coping skills is at least working, I go fishing lots of time. I am not sure if this will hinder me for getting license to become an Administrator for ALF. Yes I know I need to have license to do that, that's why I am going to do a different position first while studying the Core Program Course then will do the job. Budget wise, I am not sure yet, maybe around $1,000 - $1, 200 a month rent? I am excited to move to Central Florida but honestly, I DO NOT KNOW WHY I'VE BEEN READING SO MUCH NEGATIVE STUFF about Florida and Central Florida in particular. I am not sure if they just hate it or some people from Florida themselves who doesn't want other people to relocate there because they do not want more people from other places populate their areas that's why they are posting negative things about FL.
I am aware of the heat, humidity and hurricanes, but those don't bother me. What I am worried is the culture, the place in general and the acceptance of being an Asian. Thank you all again for your time and effort.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:33 PM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You don't have to live in Sanford, you can live in Heathrow or Lake Mary, which are both very nice areas with easy commutes. Don't worry about it, I'm sure you won't hate it and probably will enjoy it. There are nice beaches nearby and also nice natural springs too. There are lots of areas to go biking, swimming, and hiking. You can get an annual pass to Disney or Universal. Don't worry.
Pretty much.
Look at googlemaps and find where it is you will be working. I'll even go as far as saying you could live in Winter Springs or Longwood and still have a manageable commute.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian Ortega View Post
Thank you for all your response. About the behavioral status, I have PTSD a common problem of Veterans like me. But, I have tons of support, and my coping skills is at least working, I go fishing lots of time. I am not sure if this will hinder me for getting license to become an Administrator for ALF. Yes I know I need to have license to do that, that's why I am going to do a different position first while studying the Core Program Course then will do the job. Budget wise, I am not sure yet, maybe around $1,000 - $1, 200 a month rent? I am excited to move to Central Florida but honestly, I DO NOT KNOW WHY I'VE BEEN READING SO MUCH NEGATIVE STUFF about Florida and Central Florida in particular. I am not sure if they just hate it or some people from Florida themselves who doesn't want other people to relocate there because they do not want more people from other places populate their areas that's why they are posting negative things about FL.
I am aware of the heat, humidity and hurricanes, but those don't bother me. What I am worried is the culture, the place in general and the acceptance of being an Asian. Thank you all again for your time and effort.
$1,000-$1,200 is going to get you an apartment or a house in a not very desirable area.

Central Florida is expensive. We're in a 1,500 square foot house and pay $1,600 by UCF in Orlando.

I believe cost of living in Phoenix is lower as we looked at Phoenix before a job out there fell through and we decided on Orlando.

Since you like outdoor activities, you'll be in absolute heaven here. Yes, we get the daily rain showers but I've found it not too difficult to plan around it. They're typically brief. Tons of fishing holes, biking/running trails and outdoor stuff to do in general. I'm not a hunter so I'm not sure where to do that at.

No one cares that you're Asian. This area is quite mixed with a variety of people and languages spoken. One strange thing I've seemed to notice is that most of the people here aren't from here. Lots of people from NJ/NY here.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:37 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian Ortega View Post
I am excited to move to Central Florida but honestly, I DO NOT KNOW WHY I'VE BEEN READING SO MUCH NEGATIVE STUFF about Florida and Central Florida in particular. I am not sure if they just hate it or some people from Florida themselves who doesn't want other people to relocate there because they do not want more people from other places populate their areas that's why they are posting negative things about FL. I am aware of the heat, humidity and hurricanes, but those don't bother me. What I am worried is the culture, the place in general and the acceptance of being an Asian. Thank you all again for your time and effort.
It's not so much negative perhaps as an attempt to introduce some reality to what is often not for those with preconceived notions of what it's really like living here economically. Many think FL is so cheap/affordable and that it's a place where you can work less and play more as a result, which unfortunately isn't the case for the vast majority. Other than the weather advantage (which is perhaps not even that in some instances) the other advantages of living here are relative few on paper. Consider it a reality check and not an attempt to deter.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:40 PM

Thank you again for all your replies. I think our income for now can only afford $1,000 - $1,200 rent because I am the only working due to wife taking care of the kids. But when she starts working maybe we can afford buying our own property soon. We almost move to San Antonio Texas, but I realized I want to be closer to NESB just in case we want a vacation. We loved NY but can't live there anymore, so FL is the best choice we have.
My friend also told me that if my kids will be a 4.0 students in High School, there's a program "Bright Future" for them. Also, like what I've said, beach is really the big deal. I hope to find a good network of friends, and a nice neighborhood to live. We are driving this August from Phoenix and our kids are so excited. Phoenix is nice, but you will get tired of always eating "Burito" ;-) Just kidding... It's either you live here or you leave... No reason for us to stay other than my work in the City, but I believe we can find a decent job in Sanford (Since there's an offer already) but we are in the US, and it will not be difficult to get a stable job. Thank you guys again for all your message.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,543 times
Sounds like a good move! Sanford is actually the county seat of Seminole County which is renowned for its top notch schools, natural areas, and family friendly neighborhoods, many of Central Florida's long-time residents seeking a retreat from the urban hustle of Orlando/Orange County tend to move up to Seminole County for a generally quieter lifestyle and are very proud of their neighborhoods!.. As an added bonus, Sanford is also home to Orlando's smaller secondary airport which is a hub for discount-carrier Allegiant Air which services other smaller cities (like Sanford) throughout the country..

As far as places to live, I would especially recommend Lake Mary/Heathrow as recommended by a PP or even Longwood/Wekiva Springs or Oviedo/Winter Springs areas, all of these areas are within proximity to Sanford and have great neighborhoods.. I wish you the best with your relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando