U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:26 PM

58 posts, read 108,277 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a new job and I have an offer in downtown orlando (near lake eola). Currently I live in Winter Haven and I am hoping to move somewhere near downtown if I take this offer.

I would look to spend 700-800/month. I would like to live somwhere safe with things to do close by. I know that downtown is not in that price range really, but I would like to be close enough to walk/bike to work. I realize that is highly unlikely, but the closer the better.

Any one have any suggestions of places to live and things to do in those areas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 PM

732 posts, read 3,757,940 times
You could only rent a room with that unless you move to Paramoore.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,206,932 times
You should look for roomates on Craigslist or their equal in the Colonialtown/Thornton Park/Audubon Park areas. That level of rent is kind of the base for a decent efficiency/studio, but probably not in that downtown core area as it is very hip and pricey.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Well I realize that its too expensive there, I thought I mentioned that in the post. That is why I am asking if there are any places near downtown, not necesarrily downtown. I have found one bedrooms near the area that are in that range. I am just wondering how far I have to go away and which areas are better.

But thanks for the time.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:26 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,206,932 times
wow

Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 AM

Something wrong?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 AM

I guess I should mention also that I am a 23 year old professional. I like to go out some and have an area safe enough to walk around in because I do have a dog and I enjoy walking and exploring. I dont remember seeing too many places like that around the orlando area.

I wasnt trying to upset any one. I just wanted to convey more of my original intent. I realize downtown is out of my price range, and I am not too keen on a roomate right now, especially when a lot do not like dogs.

My main goal was to find hte closest areas within my price range and maybe some benifits and cons of each area. I can find appartments on rent.com etc, but it doesnt let me know what the neighborhoods are REALLY like and what there is to do there.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:35 PM

765 posts, read 2,322,291 times
The best thing to do is come here and take a look for yourself. Some of the nicer areas are northeast of Orlando like Winter Park and Maitland. For the most part it is pretty safe there for walking your dog and it is about 20-30 minutes to downtown maximum.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:51 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,566,470 times
I think you should be ok in that price range living right downtown. Granted you won't be in a high rise condo but could probaly find an garage apartment in that price range. The best thing to do would be just to drive around the neighborhoods looking for signs. A lot of the garage apartments and mother in law suites are rented out by the owners of the main home who usually don't post the listing online. I would also look in college park. The truth is, for that price range it will be a little harder to find a place, even out in the burbs one br apartments are going for $900. since thats the case, you might as well live downtown. And as a young professional myself, I will say that the short travel time is invaluable when you're in less than good condition to drive.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:35 PM

135 posts, read 646,586 times
look in college park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando