Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:30 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,003,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Rose View Post
You do understand that the taxes in the nice areas that are not infested with strip malls and franchises are significantly higher then the taxes in crappy strip mall franchise infested areas don't you? So a person that can afford a million dollar house in a crappy area can't afford a million dollar house in a nice area because of the super high taxes in the nice areas. If they could they would. So the fact that they get a million dollar house in a crappy area instead of a five hundred thousand dollar house in a nice area makes them seem as tacky as the area that they come from. Because they are desperate to look more well to do then they are.
So people from nice areas aren't impressed by stuff like that. They think it's sad. Sorry.
I know how it work.
And no, million-dollar homes don't "impress me."

Your assessment that folks only buy million-dollar homes here because they have to and are desperate to look better off than they are is false, however. Let's go ask Tiger Woods why he lived in Orlando for so long. I'm sure he's not desperate of anything. What about Vince Carter? His primary residence is in Orlando.
A few others who aren't athletes...
David Siegel
James Seneff (CNL CEO)
Harris Rosen

To name a few.

How about maybe some people just LIKE Orlando better than other traditional "wealthy" places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 01:48 PM

536 posts, read 846,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
So Dr Phillips is the new Kissimmee?
Quote:
No. Definately not the new Kissimmee.
Yes both places are infested with crappy strip malls and franchises and light up neon signs.
But Kissimmee has more land and large horse farms and stuff.
I don't think there are any people in Dr. Philips with five acres of land in their back yards that have horses running around on it. I could be wrong. Like I said I have not driven on every street in Dr. Philips. But I'm guessing that isn't the situation there.
Man...the things ya learn around here!

Maybe Kissimmee should annex that neon jungle Dr Phillips.

Our horse properties & stuff might help bring up ol' Beemer's DP equity.

#Win/Win

Old 06-22-2018, 02:16 PM

89 posts, read 80,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Celebration is your best example? There's a Motel 8 literally in the middle of its commercial district. And the reason why there isn't a Marshall's IN Celebration is because there is one 1 mile East at its border with Kissimmee.

That said, I'm not a fan of Dr.Philips, but to say that everywhere in CFL is like that, and comparing an entire town (Dr.Philips) to a small portion of another (Windermere) makes no sense.

I'd like to get your opinion on Ilseworth.
If there is a motel 8 it's in line with the theme of the place and decorated or whatever accordingly. I was not calling it an upscale area. I was making a point about zoning since the other guy didn't get how zoning works. I was using it as an example because it's clear that you people are having a difficult time comprehending the concept of zoning. I thought it was an example that would make it easier for you people to understand. Celebration is a 1950s old school Americana themed place. It's supposed to resemble a retro town from the 1950s or whatever. So no, that's not why marshalls is not permitted there. It's because of zoning. It would disrupt the theme of the place. Because there were no marshalls in the 1950s-60s in the downtown areas of old school American towns so it wouldn't fit with the theme.
I've actually never heard of motel 8 so whatever.
But they obviously feel that a motel 8 is in line with the theme of the place so it's allowed.
And how far do the Dr.Philips people need to drive to get to another marshalls? Lol!
The point was about zoning. That's why I used it as an example.
I understand that you are not smart enough to get it and I don't care.

Isleworth is a neighborhood in Windermere so my opinion of the place is the same as my opinion of Windermere obviously. Windermere will not allow tacky light up signs in its wooden sign area because it would disrupt the theme of the place. It's themed like a colonial town in England. There were no light up neon signs etc. in colonial times in England. So signs like that are not permitted. Zoning laws in that area prevent them.

And how come you lay in wait for me to post? Obsessed much? Creepy weirdo.
It's like you waited all day for me to respond then jumped right in when I did.
You did that yesterday too. You are totally stalking me on this thread.
I'm not surprised that a weirdo like you would be so into a neighbor stalking app lol!

You are so weird.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:23 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,390,140 times
Brinley!!!!

Old 06-22-2018, 02:38 PM

13,260 posts, read 22,670,360 times
Quote:
You do understand that the taxes in the nice areas that are not infested with strip malls and franchises are significantly higher then the taxes in crappy strip mall franchise infested areas don't you? So a person that can afford a million dollar house in a crappy area can't afford a million dollar house in a nice area because of the super high taxes in the nice areas. .
You clearly do not understand how property taxes work. The person buying the million dollar home in the nice area is paying a significantly lower tax rate on that property than the person buying a home of the same price in the poorer area.

Say that you're got two suburbs- call them Roseville and Tulipville. They have 5000 homes each and a negligible amount of non-residential development. say that the cost to run fire, police, and other essential services is $4 million per year. So to balance the budget, the median amount of taxes paid per taxable unit is $800/year.

The median home value in Roseville is $600K. In order to make the numbers work, the town council sets the property tax rate to 0.13% per year.

The median home value in Tulipville is $200K. In order to make the numbers work, the town council sets the property tax rate to 0.39% per year.

Want to buy a million dollar home in Roseville? You will pay $1300 in property taxes on that house.

Want to buy the million dollar home in Tulipville? You're now paying $3900 in property taxes on that.

That kids, is why the property tax is regarded as one of the most regressive taxes out there.

My county- Okaloosa- doesn't have much in the way of commercial development. In fact, more than 90% of the land south of I-10 where people would want to live is off the tax rolls because it's owned by the Department of Defense. I pay 25-35% the tax rate that I would in metro Tampa or Orlando because what has been built are a lot of high-priced vacation condos in Destin and Us Locals with homestead exemptions are effectively freeloading off a lot of the million dollar vacation homes.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I know how it work.
And no, million-dollar homes don't "impress me."

Your assessment that folks only buy million-dollar homes here because they have to and are desperate to look better off than they are is false, however. Let's go ask Tiger Woods why he lived in Orlando for so long. I'm sure he's not desperate of anything. What about Vince Carter? His primary residence is in Orlando.
A few others who aren't athletes...
David Siegel
James Seneff (CNL CEO)
Harris Rosen

To name a few.

How about maybe some people just LIKE Orlando better than other traditional "wealthy" places?
Hello again stalker guy.
If you knew how it worked you wouldn't have been so confused about marshalls and the motel.

Tiger Woods did not live in Orlando.
And he is a golfer.
There's lots of places to golf in Florida so it's not a shock he chose to live smack in the middle of Florida so he could easily access all the places to golf.
David Siegel is the time share king. Of course he lives in Orlando because his business is based here even though he has time share stuff all over the place.
I have no idea who Vince Carter is so I have no idea why he would live any where. But you did say primary which leads me to believe he owns property in a nice place as well as in Orlando.
I have no idea who the others you mentioned are nor do I care.
But yes. Orlando is one of the top vacation destinations in the world so all kinds of people have vacation homes here including celebrities.
You said "how about some people like Orlando better then other traditional wealthy places"
Orlando is not a wealthy place.
I have had crackheads ask me for spare change in Winter Park and in Dr. Phillips and of course every where else around here.
Wealthy and upscale areas don't have that situation.
And I said many times that I think that it's very nice that you like your area so much and that I'm happy for you that you do. But I don't think it's a nice area and that's my opinion based on my background. So as far as your "how about some people like it better" comment goes, again that's great. I'm not telling you not to like it. I'm just saying it's full of eye sores so I consider it to be crappy. And you can't convince me to feel differently.
My point about the million dollar homes was that where I come from the people in the non strip mall areas pay significantly higher taxes. So people that get a million dollar home in a crappy strip mall franchise area instead of a five hundred thousand dollar home in a nice area are considered to be just as tacky as the place that they come from and desperate to appear more well off then they are. And the Dr. Philips area would be considered to be a crappy tacky area where I come from so that's how I view it.
Again we come from different backgrounds.
So places infested with strip malls and franchises with light up signs seem crappy and low end to me because that's what those kinds of places are considered to be where I grew up. So of course that's how I view places like that here. It's okay for me to feel the way that I do and it's okay for you to feel the way that you do. And no you do not have to be wealthy to live in a nice area. All kinds of people live in nice places. And according to my upbringing Dr. Philips is considered to be the opposite of a nice place. So that's why I don't think it's nice. But I think it's really great that you do.
So you go on thinking it's nice, and I'll go on thinking that it's crappy.
And it all doesn't matter so who cares?

Have a nice night!

Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Hello again stalker guy.
If you knew how it worked you wouldn't have been so confused about marshalls and the motel.

Tiger Woods did not live in Orlando.

You love to contradict yourself, don't you? You said there is no Marshall's in the commercial part of Celebration because of zoning. I disputed that. Now you're claiming I'm confused. Perhaps you are with your walls of text.

Tiger Woods DIDN'T live in Orlando? You're all over the place with your information, which has been refuted countless times by other posters. He lived in Orlando until he got divorced.

And no one is saying Orlando is a wealthy place -- it generally isn't.

But yeah, I get it: you grew up in the Buckingham Palace so nothing compares, and people who buy houses on the Isle of Sicily are just pretenders who can't afford expensive homes in other cities. It's all making sense now.

Goodnight Your Highness.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You clearly do not understand how property taxes work. The person buying the million dollar home in the nice area is paying a significantly lower tax rate on that property than the person buying a home of the same price in the poorer area.

Say that you're got two suburbs- call them Roseville and Tulipville. They have 5000 homes each and a negligible amount of non-residential development. say that the cost to run fire, police, and other essential services is $4 million per year. So to balance the budget, the median amount of taxes paid per taxable unit is $800/year.

The median home value in Roseville is $600K. In order to make the numbers work, the town council sets the property tax rate to 0.13% per year.

The median home value in Tulipville is $200K. In order to make the numbers work, the town council sets the property tax rate to 0.39% per year.

Want to buy a million dollar home in Roseville? You will pay $1300 in property taxes on that house.

Want to buy the million dollar home in Tulipville? You're now paying $3900 in property taxes on that.

That kids, is why the property tax is regarded as one of the most regressive taxes out there.

My county- Okaloosa- doesn't have much in the way of commercial development. In fact, more than 90% of the land south of I-10 where people would want to live is off the tax rolls because it's owned by the Department of Defense. I pay 25-35% the tax rate that I would in metro Tampa or Orlando because what has been built are a lot of high-priced vacation condos in Destin and Us Locals with homestead exemptions are effectively freeloading off a lot of the million dollar vacation homes.

I don't care about the tax situation where you live.
I was making a point about the tax situation where I come from and how that effects how I view certain areas.

Where I come from if a person owns a 300 thousand dollar house in a crappy town they are paying less in taxes then they would be if they lived in a 300 thousand dollar house in a nice town.

So it's cheaper to live in the crappy place because of the taxes.

I know your example is hypothetical, but I have never heard of anyone paying less then ten thousand dollars a year in property taxes on a million dollar home.
But if people are paying $1300 in property taxes on a million dollar house that's damn cheap. No wonder so many flock here. Aside from the sunshine and stuff of course.

Last edited by Summer Rose; 06-22-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:

You love to contradict yourself, don't you? You said there is no Marshall's in the commercial part of Celebration because of zoning. I disputed that. Now you're claiming I'm confused. Perhaps you are with your walls of text.

Tiger Woods DIDN'T live in Orlando? You're all over the place with your information, which has been refuted countless times by other posters. He lived in Orlando until he got divorced.

And no one is saying Orlando is a wealthy place -- it generally isn't.

But yeah, I get it: you grew up in the Buckingham Palace so nothing compares, and people who buy houses on the Isle of Sicily are just pretenders who can't afford expensive homes in other cities. It's all making sense now.

Goodnight Your Highness.

There is no marshalls in the commercial district of celebration because of zoning. How am I contradicting myself? I said you you didn't understand how zoning works and clearly you don't. Why don't you call the mayor of celebration and ask him or her if you can put a marshalls in their down town area. When he or she says "no" ask them why and they will say because of zoning. Not because there is another marshalls near by in the next town. Because of zoning. And marshalls was an example. So fine. We can use T.J Max as an example instead. And that won't be allowed either because of zoning.

Tiger Woods lived in Windermere. Windermere is an actual town not a neighborhood. So no, he did not live in Orlando.

I didn't say I grew up in a palace. I said I grew up in a nice area that was not infested with strip malls and franchises and that the businesses and resteraunts had wooden signs instead of neon signs etc.
You don't have to be wealthy to live in nice areas.
Anyone can live in a nice area.
There are apartments in nice areas. There are small houses. Medium sized houses. 200 thousand dollar houses. 2 million dollar houses. etc. So all kinds of people can live in nice areas.
This has nothing to do with money.
It's a nice area vs. a crappy area thing.

"Refuted countless times by other posters"
I don't care if people agree with what I say or not, agree with what I wear or not, etc. So I just don't care. That should seem obvious. But again you aren't too bright.

Again, have a nice night stalker!

Last edited by Summer Rose; 06-22-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Tiger Woods lived in Windermere. Windermere is an actual town not a neighborhood. So no, he did not live in Orlando.
Isleworth is not part of Windermere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando