Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 AM

330 posts, read 249,257 times

Advertisements

do that conga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXVg2voCos

Last edited by Branal; 07-01-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:44 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83austin83 View Post
Puerto Ricans are definitely influencing the culture here. I think the worst part though is the traffic, they are definitely making the traffic worse. It used to be 417 going out towards the airport had no traffic, now 417 going towards the airport is terrible.

Tom most whites will be able to run and hide. I think you're going to see some migration out of Florida here in the next few years. Fees are going up, COL is getting out of control, traffic is getting worse, Orlando is not what it was even 10 years ago.

I know for me my job is the only thing that keeps me here. I would love to move back to West Virginia where I was born and raised.
I'm wondering how you know all these drivers are Puerto Rican. Do they fly the Puerto Rican flag from their car windows?

Old 07-01-2018, 12:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post

How about these ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEdIaYIzaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjjB...&feature=share

Old 07-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Sasie

Quote:
That's because Sasie doesn't really understand PR culture, though she thinks she does.

Sasie, was born in Puerto Rico, and raised in New York City, and understand the culture, in its entirety......but fortunately, never has lived in a GHETTO. I speak and write the language.......

Old 07-01-2018, 02:46 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Sasie, was born in Puerto Rico, and raised in New York City, and understand the culture, in its entirety......but fortunately, never has lived in a GHETTO. I speak and write the language.......
But would you say the culture is slightly different in the North (New York and Hartford, CT) than it is in Florida? Aside from the clothing, that is. Also, would you agree that Spanish, as it is spoken by the Puerto Ricans, is more universally understood by Hispanics from different countries (from Spain, to Cuba, to Mexico, to South and Central America) than any other dialect? I was told this years ago by a lady in South Florida originally from Puerto Rico who taught conversational Spanish to English speakers.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Like I said earlier.

And what is that suppose to mean?

Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
But would you say the culture is slightly different in the North (New York and Hartford, CT) than it is in Florida? Aside from the clothing, that is. Also, would you agree that Spanish, as it is spoken by the Puerto Ricans, is more universally understood by Hispanics from different countries (from Spain, to Cuba, to Mexico, to South and Central America) than any other dialect? I was told this years ago by a lady in South Florida originally from Puerto Rico who taught conversational Spanish to English speakers.

I go to Florida every year, and meet many Puerto Ricans, who have not been raised in NYC, and we communicate without any problems. I can also communicate with Central/South Americans. Yes, they have different dialects, and sometimes different names for the same item, or word, but we COMMUNICATE, and know exactly what the other one is talking about.....

However, Puerto Ricans born/raised in NYC may speak faster, and do things faster, because that is the way of life in NYC. If one is not fast enough, one gets left behind......As you probably know, NYC is the center of the universe, with over 200 languages spoken daily, and visitors from all over the world, to deal with in a constant basis, so yes, it may change our personality slightly, how we come across to some people. But, let me tell you: I have traveled extensively, and will live nowhere else.... If anyone of my friends asks me for advice, the first thing I will tell them is: Do you want me to tell you the truth, or do you want me to lie. I will tell it like it is. Some people from other states hide behind a facade.....pretending that they are hospitable...there is nothing false about my personality, and I can do it without hurting anyone's feelings. To some people that may be interpreted as "too brash."

So yes, the culture between Puerto Ricans from the mainland, and Puerto Ricans born/raised in NYC, is slightly different, but not that much that we do not LOVE and DEFEND each other.......to the END.......

As far as the language is concerned, to answer your question, yes: Unfortunately, some uneducated Puerto Ricans, may speak a form called Spanglish, half English, and have Spanish, at the same time, but since I am fluent in both languages, I understand them. I may have difficulty with my past-tenses, but I try not to mix both languages, at the same time. And you have a nice day, you hear!

Old 07-01-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
So maybe those pageants are or were good tools to build up self-esteem? I thought they were nicely done, an excellent way to develop poise, presence and presentation, to learn how to conduct oneself in front of a group of people. That's a cultural thing that could do wonders for women of all races and ethnicities and would be a great development for women in the Orlando area.

I, definitely, agree with you......I am for whatever helps mankind.....

Old 07-01-2018, 07:13 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
There is a great place for people with great prejudice, it’s called West Virginia.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 PM

330 posts, read 249,257 times
And who can forget this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando