Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83austin83 View Post
Really, is this what we've come to? No chance at civilized conversation without having to be called racist? What in my post was racist?

What I find ironic is that you have no problems with hispanics, blacks and asians staying in communities where their ethnic group dominates (Puerto Ricans in Kissimmee, Cubans in Miami, Japanese in San Francisco, Blacks in Chicago, etc.) but when whites do that you are the type who would consider that racist? Isn't that a hypocritical viewpoint?
My experience is frequently those who call others racist are often racist themselves. It's a defensive mechanism called projection.

It is absolutely hypocritical that if a white person wants to live by other whites, it's racist. But you can have Chinatowns, little Puerto Rico's, etc. pop up all around but no one ever calls those racist.

I'm not sure on traffic increases over the past 5 years as we've only lived here for the past 2 years. We're in east Orlando but we want to live where it's a little bit more rural, think Chuluota. Just tired of noisy neighbors, inconsiderate neighbors, heavy traffic, etc.

What really makes me laugh are the people looking to move here and one of the first things they want is "diversity" as if safety, good schools, commute times, etc. aren't important.

I'm tired of the social justice warrior agenda.

If I don't agree with your point of view, I simply don't care, I have no desire for you to see it my way. Don't push your brain washed ideals onto me. Certain people just can't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 08:59 AM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
My experience is frequently those who call others racist are often racist themselves. It's a defensive mechanism called projection.

It is absolutely hypocritical that if a white person wants to live by other whites, it's racist. But you can have Chinatowns, little Puerto Rico's, etc. pop up all around but no one ever calls those racist.
I'm not white, and I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:04 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:

100% agree, I'm not White either.

I think there is nothing wrong with people wanting to live in an area with people of similar culture and ethnicity whether you are White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, etc... it's human nature for many to want to feel a sense of belonging or blending in. It's funny how some people who act as if they are the holy racism police make the most racist assumptions lol.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Is Orlando becoming like Miami-Dade where white non-hispanics are starting to feel uncomfortable with the Latin influence and fleeing to outer suburbs? The classic "white flight" scenario experienced in many cities. It seems Hurricane Maria may be a demographic tipping point for the area.
I dont know if hurricanes have always brought people in from the Caribbean islands. In my familys's case (not Puerto Rican) Many of my family came to Florida after Hurricane Hugo & are still in the state. I would say only a few returned back to the islands. I dont see why white people in Florida would be feel uncomfortable, the people of the islands are huge part of Floridian culture one would only assume more white people are used to it by now.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 PM

147 posts, read 145,064 times
Quote:

I'm not sure on traffic increases over the past 5 years as we've only lived here for the past 2 years. We're in east Orlando but we want to live where it's a little bit more rural, think Chuluota. Just tired of noisy neighbors, inconsiderate neighbors, heavy traffic, etc.

What really makes me laugh are the people looking to move here and one of the first things they want is "diversity" as if safety, good schools, commute times, etc. aren't important.

If I don't agree with your point of view, I simply don't care, I have no desire for you to see it my way. Don't push your brain washed ideals onto me. Certain people just can't understand that.

I just feel it's racist when white people don't want non-whites living in predominantly white neighborhoods. I'm not white and experienced that as well as my kids but quite frankly I taught them to not care and move on. As the neighborhood became more ethnically mixed the racists moved away seeking an all white local "somewhere" in America as they stated.

What I've never experienced in all my decades of life is that other ethnic groups fleeing their neighborhoods just because white people moved in. America can learn a lot from some European nations in terms of interracially mixed living.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:59 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Do you have figures that show crime didn’t rise or public schools decline, generally people move once crime takes over an area. It just so happens that some of those times the racial makeup changes too. I’d like to see actual figures that show white people moved out of areas where minorities were moving in while crime and everything else stayed the same or improved. Seriously, everything in life isnt about race. It would be such a tiring and sad life to live like that and no i’m not white.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 08-05-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM

491 posts, read 518,516 times
Quote:

You are showing your lack of historical context. These neighborhoods didn’t just “pop up all around”. These groups were forced into these sections of town because they weren’t allowed to live in areas that were predominantly white.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM

491 posts, read 518,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Do you have figures that show crime didn’t rise or public schools decline, generally people move once crime takes over an area. It just so happens that some of those times the racial makeup changes too. I’d like to see actual figures that show white people moved out of areas where minorities were moving in while crime and everything else stayed the same or improved. Seriously, everything in life isnt about race. It would be such a tiring and sad life to live like that and no i’m not white.
Economic changes are more accurate than racial changes.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
You are showing your lack of historical context. These neighborhoods didn’t just “pop up all around”. These groups were forced into these sections of town because they weren’t allowed to live in areas that were predominantly white.
Pretty much. Just look at the makeup near and under the i4 overpass

Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM

147 posts, read 145,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

You just made my point for me. You're implying that crime & minorities are synonymous which is EXACTLY what those white people who moved out ASSUMED. In my experience our family along with 2 other families of minority ethnic descent were the only ones in a 10 block radius and had to live through all of the racial stereotyping, attacks, discrimination, etc... merely because of the "there goes the neighborhood" mentality. My siblings and I attended private school and even there were experienced discrimination all of the time. Mind you ALL 3 families were professionals and well established with NO HISTORY OF CRIME yet there were those who disregarded that. Driving a nice car like the neighbors meant it was stolen. Dressing nice meant it was achieved by way of drug dealing, pimp father, or stealing. Institutionalized racism rears it's ugly head even in 2018. White flight and segregation still continues although many continue to deny it.

Often times the home values of white flight neighborhoods devalue for no other reason than the fear of it being a "minority" neighborhood. Studies have been done on this and if you google you will most likely find the answers / "figures" you're interested in. My post was based on personal experience. Interestingly enough, crimes occur way more often than not in all white neighborhoods or trailer parks for instance but are not reported as frequently as they should to be fair.

Btw, I'm not sure why you continuously feel the need to express you're white as you've posted in the past. Personally I believe it's irrelevant. I've personally known plenty of minorities take anti-minority positions overlooking facts that don't agree with their views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando