Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 1,795 times

Advertisements

Hi Orlando peeps..my spouse was offered a flying job at Orlando Executive Airport. we need to be 45 min or less away. We don't have small children, all adults...but do have a big Rottweiler, and are looking for someplace more rural, or houses with big yards or acreage. He golfs and fishes, I used to race sailboats, but I'm cool if I can't get to the coast...because , I'm more concerned about safety near Orlando and crowding. I was told to avoid Kissimmee and the west ..I'm a special ed. teacher and would love to work in a good school. We love outdoor activities, but I'm.also a creative type with a theater degree. He makes good salary, six figures but ...it looks pretty pricey everywhere for housing. It's important to be in a safe community. I'm originally from LA and love diversity , food etc. I don't even know where to start and where to avoid. We would love a house with some land to grow stuff and let the dog run, not look in someone else's window when I bend down to pick up his little brown gifts on the lawn.
Suggestions please to start, and where to avoid. 45 mts to 50 minutes commute time to exec airport would be the max drive time. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 PM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Oviedo.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
I'm just curious, why does everyone mention diversity when they talk about places to live? Is that the new buzz word everyone has to use these days and if you don't use it, you're automatically branded a racist?

To answer your question: I would go for Oviedo or Chuluota (for more land). Chuluota can have a semi-rural or rural feel depending on where you go.

Yes, housing is expensive here. Not L.A. expensive (my parents live in L.A.) but definitely expensive compared to the salaries here.

I particularly like the Pickett Downs area of Chuluota.

Live Oak and Sanctuary are great areas of Oviedo which are off 419. But it seems like some Oviedo residents are against more people moving in and businesses opening up; they haven't realized that it's still a growing town and think they can turn back the clock to the 80's. They complain about the traffic mostly.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Lots of options, what is your price range?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 PM

Honestly, I think I need to focus on the safety of a community, city or location..vs price range...you can always find a house for sale in a low end of the range if the area is pricey. It's more important to identify an area that will allow no more than a 50 Mt commute time, be in a safe location and avoid crowded cookie cutter homes that are on top of each other...we have 18 acres of wooded farm land right now and I can't see us moving into a subdivision situation.
What's great about diversity? Culture, food choices ...for one.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragonfly View Post
Honestly, I think I need to focus on the safety of a community, city or location..vs price range...you can always find a house for sale in a low end of the range if the area is pricey. It's more important to identify an area that will allow no more than a 50 Mt commute time, be in a safe location and avoid crowded cookie cutter homes that are on top of each other...we have 18 acres of wooded farm land right now and I can't see us moving into a subdivision situation.
What's great about diversity? Culture, food choices ...for one.

Based on your criteria, there are 1.23 million options, you need to be more specific...

minimum lot size
minimum beds/baths
maximum budget

Without this information, it's a waste of time. If you say you want at least 1 acre, but don't want to spend more than $400,000 than there is no point in mentioning pretty much all the top choices I'd recommend. Likewise, if you need 4 bedrooms at least, but your budget only allows a 2 bedroom house, no point.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 AM

617 posts, read 831,994 times
I would also agree with the Chulota/Oviedo area. You can get homes with acreage out there. It would probably be about a 30-35 minute commute with traffic from there.

Orlando is not as diverse as LA, but still pretty diverse. Lots of Hispanic influence from the large Puerto Rican population, and that shows in the restaurants and bars that are around Orlando.

It sounds like you would enjoy the Mills 50 area, or Thornton Park for entertainment. Lots of trendy craft beer bars and restaurants around there with a diverse mixed crowd. These areas would be about 35-40 minutes away from Chulota though.

You can also look a little south of the Lake Nona area along Narcoosee road, as there is still some rural land and houses out there heading towards St. Cloud. Probably pushing 40-45 minutes away from executive airport with traffic being that far out though.

I don't think you'll find any acreage or "rural" whatsoever within 20 minutes of the executive airport. If you head a little north of the airport you'll get into Winter Park which is one of the most desirable areas of Central Florida, with price tags to match. If your budget is high enough (think $1.5M+) you might be able to get a decent sized yard for the dog in Winter Park, but yes you will still have neighbors close-by. It's an absolutely beautiful town though with some gorgeous historic neighborhoods (big tree-lined brick streets, big houses, etc.).

If you share your budget range I'm sure we can probably help more, but bmw335 is right - you're looking at about a million options right now unless you give us your realistic price range lol.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:25 PM

Fair enough...think about it from the perspective of an honest teen age boy... My son, now 30 was, is the creative music type..we moved from a diverse community when he was 15 to a wealthy suburb for the better schools, and outdoor rec activities ..hi thought, I'm doing a good thing right...
Well my son latter said..you know mom, I really didn't like that school ..you know there was like one token Black kid with 2000 students...it sucked! "

So now I think ..hmm what was I really trying to do... Diversity is a good thing..if everyone is wearing pink polo shirts and Lilly Pullitzer designs your bathroom Kleenex dispenser to match your dress...is that going to be comfortable to live in everyday...I lived in both Gross Pointe and Del Mar...not a fan...it's fake..when I know the difference between a Monet and a Manet...and they don't...it tells me all I need to know.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM

Orlando is very diverse espeically with Black and Hispanic populations. Go with Winter Park, Thornton Park, College Park, Ivanhoe Village, etc it’s a cluster of communities.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Ok thanks for all the ideas...love knowing where to start....
I don't need a mcmansion but love older homes with character...I don't want a fixer upper...but many of the houses look the same...old Spanish colonial style homes are cool, so are southern porch farm houses.. 3000 SQ feet would be plenty ..3 bedroom maybe an office, min two bath, 2+ garage ..work area...we have a huge pole barn and a two car garage now..
Saw a cool house with it's own MotoX track and pond...my young adult sons would freak..it was almost a mil...and I think worth it for what it had...but some of these 800+ houses simply don't..I could buy a house right now for that in a rural area near LA... seriously....so what's up with your housing prices.. seems inflated ..
a walkable city would be great nearby..we live close to Ann Arbor...it's unique because of the college town atmosphere but we live out just far enough that we have land with trees and space...I don't think that's doable in Florida. So I'm willing to compromise..
Quality over quantity...price depends really..it looks like 400k is the starting point for something like that..but I'm confused about your housing market..I'm seeing houses in Cocoa, Mins, Titusville that are over that...and yet my sister who has a son in Tampa and lives North of Atlanta says those are not good places to live...so why are they so expensive? Is Orlando going through an inflated housing bubble right now.if so, I need to be smart about where to invest my $$. better to buy smaller house in a community that will keep or increase in value....vs one that is currently inflated and will self correct. .
Been there ...done that in 2006...
Lesson learned....
Where should I avoid? Might be a better question...
Kissimmee, Apopka, Titusville,
Is Windemere , Dr Phillips too far and too expensive...
Thanks again..
Even half an acre would be ok but I have to fence this 130 lb Fluffy in
And I know some neighborhoods don't go for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando