Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 10,658 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 2 young sons currently live in Delaney Park, Orlando and are considering a move to the Winter Garden area. We love where we live now in terms of the central location, conveniences and it is in a great school district. That being said, we are unhappy in our home. We have outgrown it and it is very old (as most homes here are) and we are constantly dealing with issues we are having to fix with it. We can’t afford a new build here at this time. The prices are outrageous. We have been spending some time in the Winter Garden area to try to get a feel for it and really like it. We love the small town vibe, family friendly nature, and charm, while still being in close proximity to conveniences like Winter Garden village etc. We are specifically in love with the neighborhood of Oakland Park, but I definitely have some reservations.

Things we love about it:
-the quaint charm and beauty of the neighborhood
-proximity to downtown Winter Garden (you can even take a golf cart or walk the West orange trail to get there)
-sense of community- We don’t really feel that here. I love the idea of being friends with neighbors and having our sons be able to play with neighborhood kids
-brand new houses- all certified green homes- this is the major factor here. There is one house we are specifically in love with and want to make an offer on but I have concerns..:

1) Schools! The neighborhood is not zoned for good schools at all. That being said, I am in love with a charter school that’s not too far away in Ocoee, but of course it is not guaranteed we would get drawn for the lottery.
2) Crime- everything I read says to stay south of 50, which this of course is not. We have explored a few other communities and just keep coming back to this one because we love the environment so much.
3) Retaining home value- Our house in Delaney has increased in value exponentially (we bought during the crash). With the other factors mentioned above, I am worried about the same holding true for here.
4) I am worried that I am romanticizing the area in general as well as the community. It seems so idyllic, but this is coming from an outsider. Perhaps actually living there is a different story.

Any feedback from current or past residents, or even outsiders that have opinions is much appreciated. My husband is gung ho about putting an offer on a house we looked at imminently and I am getting cold feet!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 03:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I don't live there but I go there quite often. I like riding bikes along the West Orange Trail that runs through downtown Winter Garden and through Oakland Park. I like hiking on the boardwalk trail to Lake Apopka. The area around West Orange Trail always feels very safe and family friendly. The area along the trail has a lot of construction and it's quite expensive. There definitely is a strong feeling of community around Plant Street Market. Your pros and cons list seem pretty accurate to me generally speaking. I'd also look around Downtown Windermere and parts of Gotha (check the zoned schools). You have a similar feeling while being more central. The lots tend to be larger and more mature, but prices aren't as steep as Delaney Park. Schools are good too. Downtown Windermere is really cute and Dr. Phillips is right there too.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for th feedback. Going to check out the downtown Windermere area this afternoon.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:52 PM

215 posts, read 279,502 times
I personally love Oakland Park and would move there in a heartbeat if I could get my husband to leave our golf course neighborhood! However, I think very little of even the "Best" Orange County schools and send our child to private school. I wouldn't like those zoned schools either.

I saw your other post on "Old Windermere" and I guess we live in "Sorta old" Windermere (not quite the old neighborhoods outside the downtown, but on the right side of 535). I do think people are friendly, but people seem more friendly in the new Horizon West neighborhoods because everyone is in the same boat moving in at the same time. That being said, neighborhoods closer to downtown Windermere appeal to me so much more-mature trees, bigger lots, less cookie cutter.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
I personally love Oakland Park and would move there in a heartbeat if I could get my husband to leave our golf course neighborhood! However, I think very little of even the "Best" Orange County schools and send our child to private school. I wouldn't like those zoned schools either.

I saw your other post on "Old Windermere" and I guess we live in "Sorta old" Windermere (not quite the old neighborhoods outside the downtown, but on the right side of 535). I do think people are friendly, but people seem more friendly in the new Horizon West neighborhoods because everyone is in the same boat moving in at the same time. That being said, neighborhoods closer to downtown Windermere appeal to me so much more-mature trees, bigger lots, less cookie cutter.

Thanks for this. There really is something so special about that neighborhood. We are now also strongly considering a house in Windermere Downs as well. While I love the convenience factor to pretty much everything, I’m still so drawn back to Oakland Park, however. It just has a much greater sense of community, although I’ve only really driven through the Windermere neighborhood a few times, so perhaps that is an unfair assessment. And I totally agree about the Horizon West area. It is beautiful in its own right and you can get so much house for your money in a lot of cases, but it is lacking so much character to me, especially coming from such an old neighborhood. I just wish I could make up my mind!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 9,888 times
I live in Clermont close to Oakland.. I say go for it.. The entire area is fine. Oakland is North of 50, but it is the only area you are allowed to go North of 50. Stay on the South side of Lake Apopka.. and west of Winter Garden Village. East of Winter Garden Village I won't recommend.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 12,210 times
Oakland Park is an amazing community, your pros and cons list is pretty accurate. I wouldn't worry too much about crime in this area, there are some other areas North of 50 that aren't too hot, but Oakland Park is safe. Prices are still appreciating in this area so I don't think you should not be too concerned about that. I have clients who bought in Oakland Park last year and are absolutely loving it. The husband was very hesitant at first as they had 3 acres lakefront in rural Winter Garden and he did not want to leave it. The wife ultimately won and last time I spoke to him he told me "we made the right decision."

Old 03-26-2019, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 7,638 times
We really love Winter Garden (we are moving to Orlando) and fell in love with the Oxford Chase community but it looks like It is zoned for Sunridge Elementary and it isn't graded well on greatschools. We want new construction. The elementary schools I really wanted are Whispering oak, Keenescrossing or Independence. Or Lake whitney I think. I believe we missed the boat on charter school application. Anyone have a recommendation for a new construction neighborhood in one of the high rated elementary zones? Or do you have feedback on the area surrounding Oxford Chase and feedback on Sunridge elementary?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:37 AM

210 posts, read 270,702 times
Ashton Woods has a new construction community in the Independence and Keene's Crossing districts. Hamlin Reserve I think. I've helped clients buy in their communities and their construction project manager was one of the most impressive and detail oriented I've ever worked with. I would recommend taking a realtor with you that knows how to navigate a new construction contract with any neighborhood you pick. They are not written to favor the buyer. Do note rely on their sales department to help you through the process, they work for the builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando