U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM

94 posts, read 326,454 times

Advertisements

One other snake to worry about is the black or whip snake which often reaches 7 feet in length. The good news is that it's not poisonous the bad news is that it's very fast - faster than you can run. If you see one (they love dark spots in garages) do not attempt to flee. Don't look it in the eyes and back slowly away...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM

126 posts, read 305,724 times
Go out by the pool and enjoy yourself. HUNTERS CREEK IS A NICE AREA GO OUT AND ENJOY LIFE .Snakes I have not seen 1 in 15 year you get out of that house

Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 PM

874 posts, read 3,353,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I won't poke fun at, or make snide remarks to anyone who has a fear of something to try to embarrass them but I will try to be realistic.
My MIL is deathly afraid to go across a bridge in a vehicle. She won't drink anything out of a can for fear there might be a dead bug or something in it. She has to pour the contents into a glass so she can see all is ok. To most of us, these things sound silly but to her it is a real issue. Granted, there have been bridge incidents and probably a bug in a canned drink at some time or other but the majority of us aren't obsessed with fear about crossing a bridge or drinking from a can.
As far as snakes, all of the snakes in Florida are not going to try to attack and wrap themselves around your ankles to make you fall and then devour you. It kinda sounds like you are thinking worst case scenario about something that in reality won't happen. That is why I made the above comment about the snakes. They are more concerned about putting space between you and them. There are snakes of some sort in most places in the U.S.. You have probably been in close proximity with one or more at some time in the past and not even known it.
You might occassionaly see one but usualy not for long. They will be trucking away from you.
In reality your fears are pretty much groundless but to you they are real. Don't let something that may never happen make you a house bound person. Like anything else, just being observant and aware of our surroundings will help prevent an unpleasant encounter with creatures we don't especially care to associate with. We have all avoided creatures and maybe even some humans that we didn't want to get close to just by being observant. That didn't make us quit going about our daily routine though.
Ask a doctor or hospital person about the number of snake bite cases they see compared to car wrecks, falls, or work related injuries, or any other things that happen daily in normal lives.
Your chances of being harmed by a snake are much less than other things that could happen that you probably don't even think about happening.
I wish you luck with your fear. I hope you get help or realize that you are fretting over something that has very little chance of causing you harm. Much less chance than many other things that we all do everyday and don't even think about.
Enjoy Florida, it doesn't have a monopoly on snakes, and you're bigger than they are and a whole lot smarter. They know it too. They aren't out to get you.
At the moment, I think your fear of them is much more harmfull to your quality of life than the object of that fear will ever be.

Robhu, I want to thank you for relating to my issue. Some folks just dont understand how deep a phobia is. The other day i met a guy was deathly afraid of birds. Birds? Are you serious? But ofcourse he is. That is his phobia. People don't understand what a phobia is.. "Phobia: An unreasonable sort of fear that can cause avoidance and panic. Phobias are a relatively common type of anxiety disorder."..I know that this fear for most is irrational..but its very real for me. I believe its just a matter of understanding and educating ones self to understand what this fear is really all about. As I've mentioned before..I had no idea how deep this stupid fear was until I reached the Floridian soil. It is what it is.

I just wanted folk's positive opinions such as yourself to share and shed some light. I'm going to take it one day at a time! It'll get better..i just probably wont see one..but if I do...I will just have to deal with..frightening..but I always say..God is in control. Tuff to trust and believe that..but its very true.

i'm just grateful that there are a few amongst us that can be compassionate or understanding to ones fear! I appreciate you sharing your story about your MIL and I hope to God that she overcomes her fear..This just sucks!! Thank you so much again!!

Last edited by TrishP7; 04-03-2008 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,177,831 times
At least you don't have the most common Florida forum phobia; xenophobia .

You are right, everyone has some kind of fear. A lot of people are afraid of cockroaches. I'm not, I think they are funny. A lot of people are afraid of clowns. I'm not, I think they are funny. A lot of people are afraid of the dark. I sure as hell am. Everyone has some kind of phobia.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,223,804 times
sad but true LOL
I had to look it up. I was confusing xenophobia with agoraphobia in my head!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM

1,427 posts, read 3,161,414 times
When I was living in Orlando, I went out to the garage to do laundry one day, opened the lid to the washing machine, and there was a giant snake wrapped around the agitator. How it got in there I have no idea. I closed the lid and obviously decided this was not a good day to do laundry. lol The next day I went out there and it was gone. Strange.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 PM

40 posts, read 229,046 times
Default You Poor Thing

I am also from NY but I live in Texas now and will be relocating to Orlando this summer. I am deathly afraid of snakes. frogs, big bugs, anything that can get on me pretty much and I am going to be just like you. I will continue reading the helpful post replys that you are getting. Some people are making me feel good tho. Esp the lady that said she been there for 30 yrs and never seen one. Bless her Heart. I needed to hear that.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,976 times
Talking overcome ur fear

i tottaly understand snakes seem to freak people out but understand this the likely hood of u seeing a snake is very rare dont let ur fear overcome u when i lived in kissimee which im moving back to i seen a snake maybe 1 and that was a gardner snake dont worry about it enjoy the sun and the pools etc. snakes tend to stay in tall grass areas and near water but not pools. good luck

Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
At least you don't have the most common Florida forum phobia; xenophobia .

You are right, everyone has some kind of fear. A lot of people are afraid of cockroaches. I'm not, I think they are funny. A lot of people are afraid of clowns. I'm not, I think they are funny. A lot of people are afraid of the dark. I sure as hell am. Everyone has some kind of phobia.
Lol..I hear ya!!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissyq View Post
I am also from NY but I live in Texas now and will be relocating to Orlando this summer. I am deathly afraid of snakes. frogs, big bugs, anything that can get on me pretty much and I am going to be just like you. I will continue reading the helpful post replys that you are getting. Some people are making me feel good tho. Esp the lady that said she been there for 30 yrs and never seen one. Bless her Heart. I needed to hear that.
Lol..yes, posts like that are very encouraging..the ones that share the scary or unlikely to happen stories..i glance at them and keep it moving. Some people are just mean..but i guess its therapeutic as well for us scary cats!! Sigh..its no fun..but I tell you..i've been going out more often..sleeping better..a few shots of vodka b4 bedtime seems to kill the paranoia temporarily as well..lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or