Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,008 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am currently living near Nashville. I am originally from Orlando and I have been wanting to move back for years now. (Haven’t lived in FL since 2007) I’ve gone back on average once a year since then for various reasons but went back last year to poke around and look at housing and neighborhoods and I’ve looked online at areas I could live in but didn’t really get anywhere with it due to the realtor showing me housing in questionable areas. I’m currently working on getting my credit score cleaned up and getting rid of extra things I don’t need, even though it could be a year and a half or more until the move actually happens. Honestly it’s all a little overwhelming and I’m not sure where to start. I’ve never moved out of state as an adult before and I need to get the basics of what to do and expect. I may or may not transfer with my current job, it really depends on what my current company has to offer there and if there’s anywhere comparable that offers insurance, pto, etc (I am a dog groomer if the username didn’t clue you in ��), but I’m not super worried about finding a job in that field near where I would be living. My boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and I make about 38k and he makes 35k currently. I would like to not live more than 30-40 minutes away from downtown or the theme parks. I don’t have kids, and not planning on it anytime soon, so school ratings are a non-factor. I would still prefer to live in a safer area that is more affordable.
What I am looking for:
Neighborhoods in or near Orlando that would best fit for what I’m looking for
Tips and tools for budgeting (moving costs, car registration, any other living expenses)
Advice for first time homeowners (currently renting and wanting to buy a home if possible, renting is not entirely out of the question though but I do have a cat and a dog)
Companies/services you recommend (movers, realtors, anything related)

Last edited by Doggroomer92; 09-27-2018 at 03:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggroomer92;53201098 My boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and I make about 38k and he makes 35k currently. [B
I would like to not live more than 30-40 minutes away from downtown or the theme parks.[/b] I don’t have kids, and not planning on it anytime soon, so school ratings are a non-factor. I would still prefer to live in a safer area that is more affordable.
Check out Altamonte Springs which is about the only area I can think of that would fit your budget that's more/less pretty safe.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...39_rect/15_zm/

Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I would suggest you begin by doing more research regarding where you and your boyfriend will be working in this area. Please do not move forward on the assumption that it won't be hard to find a job. It could take a lot longer than you think. Your job will be the major deciding factor in where you live (amount of housing expense you can afford, commute time, etc.).

In addition, do you have a lot of money saved up for the move? There are the actual costs of moving your stuff, and then there are other costs to be considered: first/last/security or down payment for the new home, registering your car, deposits for utilities, buying necessary items for the new home, etc. etc. And if you're moving here without a job in place, you should have about a year's worth of expenses saved up until you do get a job.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:12 AM

18 posts, read 18,344 times
Dear Doggroomer92,

First, I think WellShoneMoon has some great advice. I also agree that finding a position to
maintain your income may take some time. If you have ties to the Orlando area, you may
want to start networking now.

As for areas to live that are safe and affordable (~$73k income), as well as being 30-40 mins
from downtown and theme parks, you may want to look South and West of town. For example,
there are areas of Winter Garden between downtown WG and Disney that have nice apartments
that would be affordable. A little further out is Clermont which is also nice. (Both Clermont and
WG are becoming very popular, so prices are increasing.)

South of Orlando you have the St. Cloud/Kissimmee area which would also fit your budget (you
would be closer to theme parks, but further from Orlando).

As for buying a house, you could consider an FHA loan (only 3.5% down required) or even a lease
option situation where you rent with an option to purchase in the future. This could be a good hedge
against the pending market decline (with an option you are not obligated to buy; if the prices drop
you don't have to follow through- although you would lose your deposit. However, if the prices keep
rising dramatically, you are locked in at today's lower price)

The main thing is to get your budget in order and once you know what you can afford and where you
want to live, you can work with a real estate professional to show you the options.

Good luck,
@movetoorlando

Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 AM

267 posts, read 262,129 times
If you are looking for a moving company, check out Best Movers of America. Because they have a lot of good reviews, we picked them for our move in April. They were great! They charge only a fraction of what other moving companies charge (I got 3 quotes) and the 3 guys who moved our stuff did not even leave one scratch on any piece of our furnitute. Nothing broke and nothing got scratched. We moved 6 times in the past 20 years due to my husband's job and that had never been the case! They took really good care of everything! I can highly recommend them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando