U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 03:53 PM

14 posts, read 9,507 times

Advertisements

Hello- my boyfriend and I are looking for an apartment in either Winter Springs, Casselberry, Altamonte, or a city surrounding these. I know next to nothing about these areas- which city would be the best for an environment that is safe and has fun things to do, but is also not terribly expensive? I have heard that Winter Springs is best, but there are not many apartment complexes in our budget. Does anyone have any suggestions about where we should go? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM

3,607 posts, read 6,200,837 times
Welcome to Orlando (soon)!!!

All of these areas "have things to do" as they are typical suburban communities. You'll have plenty of dining and cocktail options in any of them. Altamonte Springs has a pretty decent mall so shopping is best there. However all of these suburbs blend together and don't differ that much in most respects. They are all pretty safe minus a rough patch here and there.

If you find an apartment you are considering then post it here so we can weigh in on the specifics for you. Winter Springs is a little less built up and Altamonte is very congested to give you a frame of reference, but again they are all so close and not really that different.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:48 PM

12,209 posts, read 8,850,326 times
What OrlFlaUsa said is accurate. Longwoof/Casselberry/Altamonte pretty much all mesh into each other.

Altamonte will put you more in the center of things, as Cranes Roost can almost be considered as Seminole County's downtown, if there's such a thing. If you live around there (there are PLENTY of options in that area) you'll be in a fairly walkable area, with everything you need withing walking distance, from grocery stores to the mall to the movie theater to Burlington's, etc. etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6627...7i13312!8i6656

To give you a general idea, if you want to be in Seminole County and in the center of things.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 AM

22,949 posts, read 34,122,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly61212 View Post
Hello- my boyfriend and I are looking for an apartment in either Winter Springs, Casselberry, Altamonte, or a city surrounding these. I know next to nothing about these areas- which city would be the best for an environment that is safe and has fun things to do, but is also not terribly expensive? I have heard that Winter Springs is best, but there are not many apartment complexes in our budget. Does anyone have any suggestions about where we should go? Thanks!
If your budget is on the lower end I would personally recommend avoiding Winter Springs or Casselberry as the apartment complexes with lower rental rates tend kind of sketchy. For whatever reason Altamonte Springs seems to have a better handle on it, perhaps attributable to their more aggressive community policing. In terms of a better deal I would recommend looking for condos for rent versus apartment complexes where you're often paying for a lot of amenities you might not use at all (tennis courts, pool, clubhouse, etc). Here's some examples of current options:

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...r/LV134527069/
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...t/LV137830931/
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...r/LV139149137/
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...r/LV135170657/

Old 11-30-2018, 06:28 AM

Thanks everyone! I think I'll start to look more into Altamonte Springs and see what apartments or condo I can find. Is there anywhere I should avoid in terms of safety issues?

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 PM

3,607 posts, read 6,200,837 times
Not many places come to mind except for a few not as nice but not necessarily dangerous places on Wymore Road (can't remember the names). Also say no to the Remington Inn on Douglas but I think it's more of an efficiency/extended stay kinda housing so you'll know if you come across it.

My wife and I rented in Altamonte for years and enjoyed it very much. Worse thing that happened in our neighborhood was that we found a gun while out for an evening walk.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 PM

Alright cool! There seem to be a ton more options in Altamonte Springs, almost overwhelming haha! But definitely gives us more options- I think we will look into condos primarily, but since we can't move in until late April we will have to wait until it gets closer as those are single units and are less likely to be available when the times comes.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:52 AM

24 posts, read 13,910 times
I lived in Altamonte for about 10 years in the 80's 90's, and loved it. Anything you could possibly need is within 2-3 miles. Traffic is thick, but that is true about most of metro Orlando. Whether you choose Altamonte, Winter Springs, Longwood, Casselberry in my opinion should depend on where you will be commuting to work. I worked on Lee Road in WP and during rush hour was a 30 minute drive. If I could go during non rush hour, maybe 10-15 minutes. As far as sketchy areas, there really aren't any "bad" areas, but if that is a concern for you, Wymore Road, 17-92 from Fern Park up to Sanford is a little iffy and the older areas of Altamonte and Longwood near Ronald Reagan Blvd.

That was then, though, so I'd be interested to hear from folks that are familiar with it today.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Is the traffic as bad as people say it is? I've heard a normal 10 min drive can sometimes take 30-60 min because of the horrible traffic in Altamonte Springs

Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 AM

22,083 posts, read 21,021,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly61212 View Post
Is the traffic as bad as people say it is? I've heard a normal 10 min drive can sometimes take 30-60 min because of the horrible traffic in Altamonte Springs

Where are you commuting? Are you talking about within Altamonte Springs? If so, there is nowhere within the area that would be 30-60 minutes even during the peak time of rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando