U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,011 times

Advertisements

i live in south carolina and im thinking about just driving there. is having my car with me necessary? or is it pointless cause theres really no use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 PM

95 posts, read 345,737 times
lilmeg12, I would recommend bringing your car down with you if you have it. It really helps when you go to buy groceries or go to Wal-Mart, the mall, out to eat, etc.

Plus I found it helpful when I had really early morning shifts and the buses weren't running yet (although at the time I did my CP, you could call in advance to request a shuttle - not sure how it is now). I took the bus to work most of the time, but I was glad to have my car.

Oh yeah, I also found it helpful when I was sick and had to visit Centra Care.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 29,558 times
Default Experiences May Vary?

I was on the program in 2005, for the Spring Advantage. I suppose everyone's experiences will vary on this program, but it was truthfully one of the most enjoyable periods of my life. Yes, the work ends up being pretty menial and repetitive, but you make tons of friends there, and you're all in it together. And honestly, apart from the actual labor, it was a job where each day felt new. You were always meeting new people, you never had homework, e-mails to catch up on, or project deadlines. You went to work, and when the work was done, you had nothing to worry about. That, for me, was one of the nicest parts about this program. Were there tough days? Sure. Plenty of times you'd be stuck at work on a blazing hot Florida day, and then they'd ask you to extend a couple extra hours. But no job is 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Apart from the work, there was plenty to do, and it was mostly a stress-free and exciting experience. We spent countless hours at the Disney Parks/Resorts, Univeral Orlando, local attractions, restaurants, etc. I never felt that I was being "over-worked," and I almost always had 2 days off per week. Plus, getting an early release was usually not too difficult if you wanted to get some extra rest or just go home a little early.

As a caveat regarding my experience, I worked an attraction at Hollywood Studios, and our park hours were generally shorter than Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The people that worked at Magic Kingdom absolutely worked longer hours, especially those in Merchandise like one of my roommates. Another one of my roommates worked at Animal Kingdom, and they required the least hours by far.

Another point worth mentioning is that when I worked there, the economy was pretty robust. With things having crumbled quite a bit since then, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear of the cheap CP's getting stuck with a few more hours.

Regardless of when you go or where you work, I think the College Program is what you make of it. Some people came down to party and ditch school for awhile, and they burnt out quickly. Many were terminated or quit faster than I would have expected. I personally saw 1 roommate terminated and 2 roommates quit during my 7 months. Some people came down because of their love of Disney, and none of them that I knew burnt out. One of my roommates stayed on for another Program followed by a Professional Internship, and he only just recently left for a new job. I came down on a bit of a whim, thinking it would be a nice break from school, an opportunity to meet some new people and really soak up the Disney parks and the Orlando lifestyle, and that's exactly how it went for me. Did it help my current career? Definitely not. Not in any direct way, at least. But I made countless friends that I still keep in touch with, and I was fortunate enough to meet my wife there. We will forever have a lifetime of memories from the program, which is worth way more than the $6.25/hr we got paid.

For anyone with the right attitude and expectations, I would highly recommend this program.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM

36 posts, read 74,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavet View Post
There are 3 types of people who should do the Disney college program...
1. Those who are desperate to escape their small hick town but could not get into the armed forces
2. Anyone who seriously wants to work in the hospitality industry
3. Disney loving freaks (though by the end, your pixie dust will be gone)

Some advice...
1. During your interview, do not accept just any position. Insist that you are only interested in Front Desk, Housekeeping, whatever. Don't think they won't hire you because you refuse to sell hot dogs or clean bathrooms. (However, the good thing about custodial is that you are afforded some independence and don't have someone constantly hovering over you) These hours are long and hard. Consider that before they try to sucker you into a job you really don't want to do.
2. Do not stay in Florida if you are from somewhere else. Go back home and finish school when your program is over!

I did CP in 2004 and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I slept at night for 3 hours or so (I got off at midnight then took the bus for 90 minutes then took a shower and got back on the bus at 5 am) and was treated horribly. It's true that if some evil person wants to spread a lie about you, you can be fired over it. I almost was. There is no time for fun whatsoever. I never had a day off. I had no food because not only did I have no money but I didn't even have time to go to the store. One day at work in a moment of desperation, I reached for a pancake in the garbage and the chef (whom I did not realize was watching) threatened to fire me - for trying to eat garbage.

So what are the positives? I did stay friends with two of the people I lived with. That's nice. Outside of Florida, the words Disney and Internship on a resume do carry some weight since most do not realize that all the "internship" entails is menial labor.

The best thing that came out of it is that because of the incredible suffering I endured, I hit a very low point and turned to God. I was already a churchy person but I never realized how much I needed a relationship with God until I was physically overextended, emotionally tortured, and mentally manipulated. It made me nearly suicidal. Hitting rock bottom and getting closer to God helped me endure the last two months of the college program.

I've done the College Program, and this story sounds very credible.
A lot of the kids truly did not have enough money to eat. I got by
because my parents helped me, otherwise I would've had to eat
pancakes out of the garbage too, on the pittance the Mouse paid us.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,943 times
hey guys i have a couple of questions if you dont mind me asking? so i recently just got into the disney CP and these are my questions
1. do they pick you up from the airport?
2. don't they give you 3 full course meals a day?
3. and how easy is it to get terminated?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,914 times
Default Parties

I got accepted to the program, and was excited about going, until I started reading blogs and watching videos on the internet. It seems like drinking and partying are HUGE. I specifically remember reading one girl wrote, "I didn't make many friends, but that's because I didn't party or go to the clubs." I don't drink (I'm only 18), and I'm not really big on parties. Will I fit in and still enjoy myself if I don't drink or party? Or will I be left out of most of the social scene?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshotopia View Post
hey guys i have a couple of questions if you dont mind me asking? so i recently just got into the disney CP and these are my questions
1. do they pick you up from the airport?
2. don't they give you 3 full course meals a day?
3. and how easy is it to get terminated?

1. Unfortunately, no. They do not start providing you transportation until you are an official employee, which will be after you arrive at Vista and get all checked in.

2. With the exception of social events at the apartment complexes, they will provide no meals for the duration of your program. You are basically on your own, as if you are a typical full time employee.

3. Extremely easy. Too many absences and too many late arrivals can result in termination. Underage drinking, drugs and rule breaking will be instant termination. I had a roommate booted from the program after another roommate reported that he had said something that felt threatening (it was a joke, but my roommate didn't take it that way). They interviewed everyone in the apartment individually, and he was gone the next day. They don't mess around. That being said, if you go to work on time and don't make an obvious fool out of yourself at work/apartments, you'll be fine.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdsej View Post
I got accepted to the program, and was excited about going, until I started reading blogs and watching videos on the internet. It seems like drinking and partying are HUGE. I specifically remember reading one girl wrote, "I didn't make many friends, but that's because I didn't party or go to the clubs." I don't drink (I'm only 18), and I'm not really big on parties. Will I fit in and still enjoy myself if I don't drink or party? Or will I be left out of most of the social scene?
I was 19 when I went, and based on how quick Disney is to drop the hammer, I had no intention of risking instant termination by drinking. I never for one second felt like I was missing out on the social scene, nor did I notice partying and drinking being "HUGE." Bear in mind, there are about 5,000 CP's at any given time. Many want nothing but to party, many are willing to but don't need to, and many won't have any desire. It's just like any other college situation you'd encounter. You'll find the crowd you want to hang out with, and you'll make plenty of friends at work and in your apartment. I wouldn't worry at all about this issue.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,249,551 times
No

Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM

674 posts, read 1,012,925 times
You are going to work ALOT and PARTY alot if that's your thing. For me it was best of both worlds b/c I am SUPER social and since I had just graduated, all I had was to intern and then chill at the parks or go out. Most of the parties anyway are at BDUBS, House of Blues or DT via the Partybuses (Vain, Beacham, Wall St, Antigua, Etc). The only time you will get in trouble is if you're under 21 and get caught drinking, most likely at BDUBS and House of Blues. DT, nobody will no unless you are stupid and do a walk of shame super drunk into your complex....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or