U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM

506 posts, read 888,089 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be so quick to dump on Disney. Have you ever thought about a career in PR working for Disney? An internship would be a great way to get your foot in the door with them and into a professional position. Any white collar job with them pays well and has really good benefits - not to mention the prestige of saying you work for them.

It's one thing to sell sno-cones for them as a summer job; quite another to say that you have a corporate or professional job with them. And having an internship with them is a lot different from just weaseling a minimum wage job from them. Disney management would see an internship as a stepping stone to higher things there. A *lot* of people would love to have your opportunity, present company included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 AM

327 posts, read 851,335 times
I think one of the main problems is that Disney plays off the College Program (CP's) as an "Internship" and that simply is not what it is. Disney has Internships that are called Professional Internships or "PI's" which are real internships. The CP is basically free labor. CP's are not unionized, get no benefits, vacation, sick, or healthcare. I have worked at Disney for a while and have seen a fair share of CP's, some people love it and some people do not. The program is what you make of it and if anything you will make some great friends. I am still friends with CP's from 5-6 years ago who I talk to on a regular basis. You do work long hours but, most of the work is not difficult and honestly the only reason I even still work at Disney is for the free passes and it is worth every penny. Just remember that the CP is NOT an internship so if you are looking to get "real" work experience this is not it. If you are just looking to take a semester off of school and hang out in Orlando or love Disney, the CP might work for you.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 AM

3,319 posts, read 5,581,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
I think one of the main problems is that Disney plays off the College Program (CP's) as an "Internship" and that simply is not what it is. Disney has Internships that are called Professional Internships or "PI's" which are real internships. The CP is basically free labor. CP's are not unionized, get no benefits, vacation, sick, or healthcare. I have worked at Disney for a while and have seen a fair share of CP's, some people love it and some people do not. The program is what you make of it and if anything you will make some great friends. I am still friends with CP's from 5-6 years ago who I talk to on a regular basis. You do work long hours but, most of the work is not difficult and honestly the only reason I even still work at Disney is for the free passes and it is worth every penny. Just remember that the CP is NOT an internship so if you are looking to get "real" work experience this is not it. If you are just looking to take a semester off of school and hang out in Orlando or love Disney, the CP might work for you.
And the thing I notice from my son's friends----they came down for CP and either did not go home to finish college or went home and came back a few months later and did not finish college. They get a part time or full time job with Disney(some also work the same type part time job at SW or Universal) and they tell their parents they will finish classes down heere. Some have been here for 6 years now and still don't have their degrees....some never even got back into school because they worked to get Florida residency first.

CP pretty easy to get into, Disney Internships are a little harder to get because the competition for them is steep. A lot of the internships are actually in California and not at Disney World.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 26,002 times
I recently applied for several undergraduate internships with Disney & ABC Entertainment Group and my status shows "in progress" on two applications (casting and development). I hope this is a sign that I will be contacted for a phone interview.

I am over 50 years old and went back to college two years ago earning my Associate's degree and now working towards my Bachelors in Business Management. I have always dreamed of working in the corporate level at Disney and I think this would be a great opportunity to get a foot in the door as an intern.

1. Is the undergraduate internship different than the College Program?

2. Also has anyone worked in the undergraduate internship and can shed some light as to the pay, hours, experience?

I am so very excited at the prospect of working for Disney!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM

327 posts, read 851,335 times
If you read my previous post you will see that the professional internships are different from the college program. I have never done a PI but I know some people who have. It really depends on your work location to how much you will make and what hours you will work. I do know that the interns who work in the parks/hotels/sports complex and such that are "management" interns make a certain salary per week and work crazy hours. Some of the internships that are not management interns either work at Disney World or Celebration and make an hourly wage. I had a friend who did an advertising internship in Celebration was paid hourly and worked a mon-fri 9-5, this will not happen in the parks. It really just depends on the location as every internship is different.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,537 times
I'm hoping to do the CP spring 2013, but I had a question for anyone who did/auditioned for entertainment.
The only job I would want in entertainment would be a performer (character or dancer). If not, I'd want to do hospitality or operations (haven't really decided which I'd prefer. I don't even know how much it matters what you want to do). But if I apply and say I want to work in entertainment, and DON'T make it when I audition, am I stuck being a character attendant or in costuming?
Let me know if my wording is unclear, I could try and rephrase that lol

Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM

649 posts, read 970,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebeamazingalli View Post
I'm hoping to do the CP spring 2013, but I had a question for anyone who did/auditioned for entertainment.
The only job I would want in entertainment would be a performer (character or dancer). If not, I'd want to do hospitality or operations (haven't really decided which I'd prefer. I don't even know how much it matters what you want to do). But if I apply and say I want to work in entertainment, and DON'T make it when I audition, am I stuck being a character attendant or in costuming?
Let me know if my wording is unclear, I could try and rephrase that lol

I Interned, and mine ended mid January of this year (2011). I was a hospitality Intern. That is pretty cool. It really depends on your manager honestly though on what you will do. I started off doing housekeeping which is ALOT of work but ended up doig front desk, manager shadow, valet, etc... Some people only do housekeeping the entire time.....

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,042 times
I'm planning on doing the CP, and I had some questions if anyone doesn't mind answering them?

1. I live in Texas, and have a car. I read the posts, and it sounds like it's best for me to bring my car just in case for certain reasons, but my mother doesn't think the 16hr drive would be worth it since my car is an '04 model. Would it be worth it taking it over there?

2. Do we get sick days?

3. Can we requests days off if needed for appointments?

4. Are we restricted from going off grounds from the apartments?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM

93 posts, read 340,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair2522 View Post
I'm planning on doing the CP, and I had some questions if anyone doesn't mind answering them?

1. I live in Texas, and have a car. I read the posts, and it sounds like it's best for me to bring my car just in case for certain reasons, but my mother doesn't think the 16hr drive would be worth it since my car is an '04 model. Would it be worth it taking it over there?

2. Do we get sick days?

3. Can we requests days off if needed for appointments?

4. Are we restricted from going off grounds from the apartments?
1) If you are up for making the drive, I think it would be worth it. Many people do fine without their cars (I myself took the bus most times to work), but it is really nice having it around for convenience when going grocery shopping, errands, and if you want to explore other parts of central Florida.

2) CPs don't get sick days (at least not when I was there).

3) But yes, you can request days off. They may or may not be granted, but you'll have a better chance if you request it early in advance.

4) You are allowed definitely allowed to leave the apartment complex. There may be a curfew, but I am not too sure on this.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM

385 posts, read 1,211,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair2522 View Post
Bring the car, the CP bus transportation doesn't use Disney buses, it's outsourced and if you aren't working at a theme park and get off work late the bus transportation is horrible. I work graveyard front desk at the Contemporary and any CP who gets off after 1AM (the last CP front desk shift ends at 2:30 AM) has a real pain getting home if they don't have a car.

-Harry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or