U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 65,340 times
Being away home isn't the problem because i study in another town 5 hrs from home so that's not the problem... And i've gone to disney 6 times already so i know it pretty much and i kinda like it. That's why i was asking if it's also available for mexican students.

I'm on my 4th year at college now on the actuarial science program and it's been quite hard so far, and i feel like some vacations wouldn't be bad at all... Hopefully i'll be attending a recruiting session or something the problem is i don't even know where to check all that information

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:43 PM

75 posts, read 258,024 times
MemoPerez,
I think you might be interested in the International College Program. I will PM you a link.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks! Excellent!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM

37 posts, read 89,203 times
If you were 28 years old, I would sound like the rest of the naysayers on this board. But you're not... I know from personal experience that having Disney on your resume is never a bad thing - especially out of state. Granted, I was designing hotels and attractions, not working in them.

I've known bookoos of people who have gone through the program, and the ones who were successful all did the same thing: Complete the program and leave Florida. I know a 26 year old running the F&B division of a large 5 Star hotel in Dallas who attributes her time at Disney to getting her foot in the door.

Bottom line, tell your heart to shut up and listen to your head. If you go in with a plan to do well, get noticed, and move on with a load of recommendations, you will probably do very well.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Yes, i'll do that.Let's see how it goes...Thanks for the help! Very kind all of you guys

Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,363 times
wohooooo yeah!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM

653 posts, read 1,108,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Hello, I was reading a few other posts about Disney, but wanted more specific detailed responses, I'm a junior in school looking to graduate next year,

Earlier this week at my university there was a recruiter for Disney. I decided to go to the meeting, and see what it was about. I have a classmate who went a few years ago and said he really enjoyed it. The video looked pretty fake with a bunch of smiling people. I went ahead and filled out an application, and got a phone interview the next day. The lady who called didn't even seem interested in what I had to say. I gave some really good answers, but it didn't sound like she was really listening. They said within about 2 or 3 weeks I'd get a response in the mail stating if I got offered a position or was declined from the college program.

My question is- Is the college internship program worth it?? Is it really worth it to take a semester away from school to basically put on resumes I worked for Disney? The jobs I could be working (attractions, merchandise, hospitality, lifeguard) are jobs that aren't really geared towards my degree in PR. But again, having Disney on a resume for a professional position in the future could also pay off. I also figure it's possible that during my stay there will be a lot of networking opportunities.

Has anyone who's gone through the internship program have it pay off for them for future jobs? I mean, if I don't go to Disney world, I'd just find an internship program here in Texas where I live. The environment sounds fun, and the opportunity to meet a lot of people from all over the world sounds terrific. but-I'm also not one to have a fake appearance with the fake smile people seem to post from other threads. I'm pretty straightforward with people, and nice, just not the way Disney seems to promote it.
Your statement up above pretty much sums it up. If you plan on making it a career in Disney, it's a good place to start, but realize you'll be investing in something so specialized (though parts of it will be applicable), rather than investing your time in a broader program in college or even community college. Ask yourself, what will completing this program buy me as far as credentials are concerned? A certificate? An associate's degree? Why not use that time towards a bachelor's degree?

If your pursuing a degree in PR, you're probably better off putting your time into something more related, rather than just ride on the "Disney" name. As you can tell by some of the responses here, that name doesn't ring a bell or necessarily impresses anyone these days. Do some civic duty or work related in the community, that may suit your PR degree more. If you're thinking about the hospitality field, several colleges, including one here in Central Florida, offers a program. I guess what I'm saying is I would go for the broader reach of higher education before pursuing anything as specialized as the "Disney" experience, which, as you hinted, is manufactured, i.e., people are taught and trained to be that way, a lot of stress (and sometimes hypocrisy) goes on in the background to make that "magic". Take it from someone who's worked there before...

Old 04-19-2009, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,494 times
Default Disney College Program

I am graduating in the top 5% of my class at Indiana University this semester and have been offered an attractions role in the disney college program starting in august. I'm thinking about accepting the offer because my work experience (i never did an internship) is the only place on my resume holding me back from the elite nyc or LA jobs that i'm looking for. I'm graduating with 3 majors in business and a 3.9 gpa from a top business program and i feel like a disney internship will really make my resume stand out. My plan is to immediatly put this on my resume when i get to orlando and search for a job (online sources, my schools career site, etc..) while i'm there for 6 months. What do you guys think about that plan?

The negatives about the internship is that none of the roles were really business related. Someone argued to me that hospitality is the most related but i really don't want to get into the hotel industry and i also want to be in the parks where all the action is. Also, working in luggage or dispatch (if you don't get front desk) would be horrible. Attractions was my first choice. Anyone know anything about what roles were the best?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM

267 posts, read 434,717 times
Man, i must be one of the only ones who enjoyed the program. :/

I did the spring advantage program in 2006. I worked merchandise at EPCOT and then at Magic Kingdom. I absolutely LOVED IT. I was married and both my husband and I both were there, and we lived in Chatham Square.

Each year I miss it more and more-- the great people I met, the opportunities it provided me for future employment and the perks. We were seriously at the parks every weekend, or whenever we were off of work. It's not a lot of pay, but they provide housing, and take the low rent from your checks. All you pay for is food. They even provided bus transportation to and from work. As a CP, you got free access to the parks anytime you wanted to go and I LOVE Disney, so I went often!.

I still talk to the friends I made there and former bosses I had. My program ended before my husbands, so I ended up there as Full Time as a PhotoPass photographer and it has helped me get many jobs back home in WV.

I got internship credit, a great experience and networked and made several career contacts.

It's all about your attitude. Not everyone is cut out for the Disney lifestyle... they have some strict rules and regulations, mostly about safety in the parks and appearance.

I am NOT a college campus rep, I didn't have time to do that once I got back to finish my degree, but I wish I were. Honestly, I love the company, everyone I worked with there still is involved somehow with the company and has nothing but good things to say.

It's an experience that may not be for everyone, but as a CP it's only a short amount of time and if you don't like it, you can leave and not have to worry about it ever again.

Was totally worth it to me. I am hoping to save up and in a few years, my husband and I are def. looking at Orlando, Fl to move too. It's a possibility!

Hope that helps!!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,805,959 times
If I was young and in college I'd go in a heartbeat. From what I've seen and heard it sounds like a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando