U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 PM

669 posts, read 998,947 times

Advertisements

I'm doing the program this Aug- Jan '11. You do have to live in Disney housing... They have 3 different apartments to offer which are called Patterson, Vista Way, and Chatham. Btw, do your own research and have a plan on what you hope to do in the future, and how this could "open doors" into the industry that is right for you. A lot of people seem to bash the program from their experience, but it's all up to you, and it seems as though It's wahat you make of it....I'll find out this fall. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 128,310 times
[quote=benice66;13580978]My daughter was on the college program in 2001 and LOVED it. It was the highlight of her life! I'm sorry for what happened to your daughter, but Disney does not work this way. They are wonderful. I've NEVER heard of this happening at Disney before and I worked there and so did my husband.[/quote

Im STILL getting over the shock myself...and it most certainly does happen...ever since this program started I would get calls from my daughter saying this one was terminated and that one is terminated...It almost became a joke...

One set of Girls were terminated when a repair man found an Empty beer can under the sink.(im guessing in the bathroom)..he was there to repair the A/C so cant understand why he was looking under a bathroom sink or any sink.BUT ONE of the girls claimed the beer can...and they TERMINATED BOTH girls...and her roommate was COMPLETELY innocent..GUILT by association.

YES it IS happening..and AS I stated in my previous post...IF you are in a pool of kids who are walking the line your fine (and as you know YOU HAVE NO CHOICE on who you are roomed with) If not you are lumped together and tossed out. PERIOD ...no questions...no chance to defend yourself...just a random decision of the idiot in charge...MY daughter was let go...and she said here is my car check it call security while im sitting here...and check my apt..I HAVE NOTHING ...its a lie...and yet they let her go for being dishonest because she didnt admit to "stealing" something she NEVER stole...???? so can only speak from our experience and it was NOT a good experience ...It was a DEVASTATING experience!...

Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,360,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I'm doing the program this Aug- Jan '11. You do have to live in Disney housing... They have 3 different apartments to offer which are called Patterson, Vista Way, and Chatham. Btw, do your own research and have a plan on what you hope to do in the future, and how this could "open doors" into the industry that is right for you. A lot of people seem to bash the program from their experience, but it's all up to you, and it seems as though It's wahat you make of it....I'll find out this fall. lol
Thanks for the input Yeah I want to be in the entertainment industry and absolutely love Disney so I'm pretty sure I would like it. The website didn't exactly say you had to live in housing, just that you had the "opportunity" to live there.. which I guess means you have to in Disney terms lol.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post

Thats JUST the point...Disney would be great if you had some voice...but they LITERALLY will empty apartments of college workers JUST on Guilt by association...or if someone "happens" to flat out lie...ONE person who was caught flat out stealing money...was a believed to be the most HONEST person in regards to her word....when she got TEN people FIRED for LIES...ten people that she knew by "name"...not because she KNEW them or talked with them...but because she worked with them and knew their names...and DISNEY chose to believe a thief...as the GOSPEL TRUTH...when she said TEN OTHER people were thieves too?????....so its not what you make of it....ITS the KIND of people you happen to be stuck with either in the living arena or the WORK arena...just BEWARE!!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:41 PM

181 posts, read 608,539 times
My daughter had six roommates and NOONE was terminated! In fact, I wish my son had gone on the college program. My daughter DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE! She stayed at Vista Way and had a blast. She is still best friends with four of her roommates and they even travel to see each other for weddings, etc. It was the best experience she could have had and a lasting one.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM

my daughter had SIX roomates also....and MANY FRIENDS...and they are ALL still her friends...and AS you know....all six roomates do DIFFERENT jobs and different areas...MY daughters issue was a co worker...who didnt want to get terminated "by herself" and randomly said ten names...and NOW all TEN are gone ...with ZERO proof ...except the word of one caught redhanded thief..and there is NO RECOURSE PERIOD NONE>..NOT even a pink slip or paperwork.....

ALL TEN of these kids were in different apts...
the girls who where terminated was a mistake...IT was FIVE GIRLS in ONE apt that were terminated for ONE beer can...

so the one roomate who was spared must have been a "needed" position....

Im glad that you and your family had a GREAT experience..BUT you are the exception to the rule and NOT the RULE!....IF you didnt hear or know of MANY people leaving suspended terminated ...then I would have to really question that...PERSONALLY I think its an economic decision to get rid of money weight (college kids) and they DO because they CAN...IT just shouldnt be at the expense of the COLLEGE kids reputation and HONOR!

ITS SHAMEFUL ...that DISNEY ( and its really the head idiots in charge NOT DISNEY)...itself...that are making these BROAD decisions...about the reputation of the people they terminate and its JUST SHAMEFUL...that DISNEY the name allows it....

Old 04-03-2010, 04:04 PM

I just reread my post and doesnt make sense...what I was saying was another incident that my daughter just "heard" of was that FIVE girls were terminated for ONE beer can a repair man found under a sink....NOT just two FIVE!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Cool Beware disney college program bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
yeah i'm really thinking twice about it. ill update you guys about position i'll get. most likely, i'll decline the offer. there's just something in the back in my mind that tells me if i went this direction, it wouldn't be a wise one.

more opinions welcomed.

RUN!!! dont walk RUN!!!-----DISNEY has probably a 90% termination rate that is UNRECORDED...and NOT TALKED ABOUT....

I heard someone say...look to your right and left and those people will not be the ones you see when or IF you complete this program...they are VERY RANDOM...and "thin" out the COLLEGE population "as needed"...because you are a dime a dozen and on CONSTANT cattle call...

BEWARE...I was terminated because someone LIED..a co worker I barely knew..and I was ONE of OVER TEN people that she got terminated along with HERSELF...(because she didnt want to be terminated alone) ..I was LIKE ..are you serious??? your taking someones WORD who is a thief to get rid of TEN hardworking college kids who TRUSTED DISNEY??? WHOLESOME DISNEY???...well yes ...because DISNEY is NOT in charge ..a handful of LOW PAID IDIOTS are....are they are told get rid of the stock and then terminations start to roll...

I heard a guy was terminated for being a GOOD GUY...drove his friend to airport and then drove his car BACK TO APT...and TERMINATED because he was driving unauthorized car...
and ONE guy who went through WHOLE PROGRAM...turned in everything then had his record as TERMINATED because he had a long scratch in the wall at disney..AND SINCE they felt they wouldnt get reimbursed to repair it...(didnt even notify or ASK the guy to repair it) they marked his file terminated AFTER he already completed the program..
ONE apt (there are SIX to an apt) had FIVE GIRLS terminated for ONE can of beer the ""A/C guy found under the sink"""" what an A/C guy was doing under ANY SINK is beyond me...
DISNEY says its IN THE CONTRACT ...they can terminate you anytime anyhow for anyreason YOU have ZERO recourse NO SAY and good luck trying to salvage your integrity HONOR or self esteem...YOU are expendable and they could care less...
NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!.....bring in the next BUS LOAD of naive unsuspecting DISNEY college intern wanna bes!!!!....LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE GODS HONEST TRUTH...it would be LAUGHABLE if it were not so BLATANT...SHAMEFUL and SAD...that poor college kids are terminated on a MOMENTS notice and on literally ZERO money in their accounts...and have to pack and move out by car train or plane and HOPEFULLY WELLOFF parents in less than 12 hour period!!!....crazy...I KNOW of TWO people right now on suspension till MONDAY....today is sat...so they have to sit and worry for THREE days to get a call monday like around 12pm and will have to be PACKED AND OUT by 9am!!

SO that being said IF the FREE parks and working and Little pay...sometimes 180.00 a week sometimes like 80.00 for a week...are worth your energy...then do it ..ONLY if you go into it ..KNOWING that if you are TERMINATED!!! arghhhh!....you wear it as a BADGE OF HONOR to all the DECENT FALLEN HONORABLE college plebs who went before you!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 AM

Well, all I know is I'm doing the program and am excited about it! I know a handful of people who did it, and had a great time, and got Hospitality jobs in Southern FL. Disney is a great stepping stone if you plan to do something in the Tourism based state of FLORIDA. Not only for Disney alone but for any hospitality chain, cruiseline, resort, etc... I'm going to be well over 21 so alcohol shouldn't be a problem since I will be roomed with people my own age, and am already slowly picking my roomates. But it's all how you act and who you choose to associate with... I see where you're coming from with the whole "terminated" thing, but I don't feel like that will be a problem for me as long as you follow the rules.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Thanks for the input Yeah I want to be in the entertainment industry and absolutely love Disney so I'm pretty sure I would like it. The website didn't exactly say you had to live in housing, just that you had the "opportunity" to live there.. which I guess means you have to in Disney terms lol.

That's great! I want to be in the Hospitality Industry and open up a few busineses in Central/South FL, or even maybe the Caribbean, so this is definetly a stepping stone... But I'd definetly take advantage of that cheap rent, while you look for something better in Orlando or Florida in general. I look at it this way...Yea, you'll have to have roomates AGAIN, and have to deal with a low wage, but depending on what you want to do, and if your going down as a recent gradute or undergrad, this could expose you to a lot, and allow you to apply and network with peole/positions, so you may get entry into the job you want while paying $88-$105 a wk for rent...cheap in my book....esp if you go down with $$$ saved already?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or