Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 15,351 times

Advertisements

I did the program in 2001-2002 and loved it. Didn't really care for work, it was min. wage and at Magic Kingdom but I learned a great deal. I made friends from literally around the world and across the US and we still keep in touch. A friend from Brazil came to visit me in January and we just laughed about the good and bad times we had at Disney. I worked a lot to have any kind of spending money after rent was deducted. Back then that's how it was done, not sure if it's still the same way. At our restaurant Liberty Tree Tavern, we had 2 great managers and 1 that didn't care to be there himself. Some of the staff couldn't care less because they were used to college kids coming in and out, but some of the staff members were very helpful. I really loved Florida and always planned to move back. I went back home completed my bachelors, in Dec I will complete my masters and January I plan to move back to Florida. I'm very grateful for my experience at Disney, while I made no money in my internship I made lifetime friends and had great experiences that no one will ever take away from me. Yes I agree that this is not for everyone, but if you decide to take this internship it's what you make of it. I networked, and I no longer put it on my resume (totally different field now) but when I did it made for great conversation during interviews and many opportunities for me. So best wishes in whatever you decide to do! Make the best of it, any situation for that matter. (I know the OP posted this 2 yrs ago but hopefully someone looking for info might get some help)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 132,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I'm sure people get fired from the Disney program because they put themselves in positions to be fired, or had some part to do with something against the rules... Living down there is basically like living on campus. Working during the day, or class if you choose to do so, and parties all through the night with drunken people. So that means beer pong inside and outside, cups and glasses thrown off balconies. People being disguting and urinating outdoors, and seeing stumbling people vomit outside, Jumping in pools drunk, people being naked in pools, you name it.... I mean if you did Undergrad, you know what to expect...Since this isn't college, the only thing to do is Terminate them from the program...That Simple! If your above 22, you probablly drink more responsibly, but as for the larger group that are not, They will be doing all the above, and I'm sure many will get fired since this is an Internship and not a University.
EXACTLY...Which is why you should have to get SPECIAL consideration to go into the college program if you are in your freshman or sophmore year...and the "usual" process if jr or senior in college etc...Then you are working with maturity, and responsiblilty and would seem Disney would take that more logical route..ALTHOUGH the way they are very robotic and cold in their suspension/termination process...IN of Itself its a great learning experience too.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,389 times
Where did your daughter work? There's a similar situation happening now within the Sports Complex CP cast.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 29,198 times
Many students are unhappy with their experience with that program. In fact one of the local universities had to suspend their involvement with it for a semester due to such a high number of complaints, yes France was one of the main complainers. I have to say I felt very sorry for the all of the foreign students and the conditions they had to work and live in during the internship. There are a lot of opportunities to work part-time for Disney, Universal, etc. in the area. Perhaps there are better options. Several students I know worked for Disney on a part-time basis through college and really enjoyed it and the perks that come along.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 AM

47 posts, read 184,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
My daughter was on the college program in 2001 and LOVED it. It was the highlight of her life! I'm sorry for what happened to your daughter, but Disney does not work this way. They are wonderful. I've NEVER heard of this happening at Disney before and I worked there and so did my husband.

I have been with Disney Security for 14 years and although I have never heard of the changing of the locks and putting them out on the street ( that would be private security, not Disney Security) I can say that yes Disney does work that way with suspensions and terminations. If you are even suspected or associated with someone that commits a crime and your name is given, you are "interviewed" for some time and it is up to the manager in charge if he/she wants you gone! I believe it is then up to the student to contact their parents for help. And yes they can destroy any scholarship you may have earned. This can be for for something as simple as taking a cookie off a tray.
So beware!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 11,611 times
This can be for for something as simple as taking a cookie off a tray.
So beware
Yes but that goes for the same with any big Corporations

Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 19,674 times
I am currently a college student with a dream of performing at Disney. I love the parks in general and would enjoy working there I think. I will want a bachelors degree so i was thinking about doing the program, staying employed there and finishing my education at a school in Orlando. Is it worth it to leave college and go do the program? Will I be able to eventually pursue my dream of performing? How long is the program and should you do it more than once with different roles maybe? Is the housing decent? If you cant tell I havent contacted anyone yet to get them to help me with these questions... so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,246 times
I think your best bet would be to come down and do the college program talk to people in entertainment, and see if it is really for you. I think most of the roles for CP are merchandise, attractions, custodial, food service, and guest services. I am not sure about entertainment for the college program but I do know some people who have done the college program, auditioned for entertainment and loved it, while some people did not. Just so you know as well, you most likely will start off as a character and will have to work your way up to parades/shows. I personally don't have any information on the housing as I was never in the college program but I do know there are a few housing complexes and some are better than others. The program generally runs anywhere from 5-8 months, and you can extend from there if you would like. Disney does offer some classes for college credit or you could take online classes if your college lets you. Just remember that if you decided to stay and finish your education you have to stay in Orlando for at least a year after you finish your program, before you start school or you will have to pay out of state tuition and your program does not count toward Florida Residency. My advice would be to go here The College Board - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com and sign up and read through that message board. That board is specifically designed for college students like you and has a lot of good information. Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 19,674 times
Default Questions???

I am currently a college student with a dream of performing at Disney. I love the parks in general and would enjoy working there I think. I will want a bachelors degree so i was thinking about doing the program, staying employed there and finishing my education at a school in Orlando. Is it worth it to leave college and go do the program? Will I be able to eventually pursue my dream of performing? How long is the program and should you do it more than once with different roles maybe? Is the housing decent? If you cant tell I havent contacted anyone yet to get them to help me with these questions... so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times
I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando