Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times

Advertisements

How he randomly went off about Radio DJ's it sounded like Doc, formerly from 106.7 LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
yeah i'm really thinking twice about it. ill update you guys about position i'll get. most likely, i'll decline the offer. there's just something in the back in my mind that tells me if i went this direction, it wouldn't be a wise one.

more opinions welcomed.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Yeah I would say if you have the opportunity to relocate to Florida with another company, you should look into more seriously than with Disney. I would not recommend working there, they never close. And even if given the opportunity to relocate to Orlando with another job, you should come and visit and try to get a feel for the area before taking the plunge. As you can see from the negativity on this forum, some people really do not like it here for their own reasons. It continues to work perfectly for me here and I love it, but I may not be aware of some of the circumstances or job situations of other posters. Sometimes I feel like I live in a completely different city than everyone else. But again, Disney is not the best place to work and I think that most people would advise you of that.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 53,498 times
I did the Disney College Program a few years ago. I hated it while I was there- bitched and complained all the time... yet as soon as I arrived home again, all I wanted to do is go back.

If you're doing the basic college program, you're poor all the time and doing a job that any idiot could do. If you're smart about it, you can make it worth your time. Suck up to... er, I mean, network with your managers and find the one who's willing to help get you in contact with people in the department you're interested in. Take the free classes they offer, both the regular CP classes and the little ones offered at Disney University. Your college program experience is what you make of it. Honestly, what I (and most of my friends) did on our programs had absolutely nothing to do with what we do now. But every single one of us gets asked about it when we go on job interviews (at least, job interviews outside of Orlando - most employers in Orlando couldn't care less if you worked at Disney. Most people do at some point, even if it's just for a week.) Sure, it has nothing to do with your job. It's a great icebreaker on interviews though. Plus, you have the option of doing an Advanced Internship with them after your regular internship is over. When I still worked at Disney, most of the people I knew or met that managed to work their way into management started out on the college program.

It's not for everyone. The average college program kid is basically the average frat boy/sorority girl, so if you're not one of them, sometimes you feel a bit isolated. It can be hard sometimes to find your niche. The pay is not all that great, and you end up giving most of it back to the company via the company provided housing. During busy times, I found myself working a TON of hours, giving me a lot of extra spending money, and during the slow times I was barely making enough to get by. Most of the kids there get help from their parents in order to make ends meet, but you can make it on the low pay (6.00/hr when I did it) with some thriftiness. It will be hard to manage to make contacts in the area you're interested in unless you get on in a place where there aren't many other CPs, leaving your managers grateful for your presence (in something like Food and Beverage at MK, you'll just be one in a crowd, but in something like Costuming at EPCOT, you may be the only one or one of a small handful.) Some managers are willing and able to help you meet with the right people to actually make worthwhile connections, but quite a few of them either only do it for their favorites, won't do it at all, or pretend they will and never do.

Just- whatever you do? If you do decide to do the college program, DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET TALKED INTO STAYING FULL-TIME. Not without a salaried position in the field you want. So many people do the college program and like it so much they stay on full-time.

You can always try doing something like going to LJSeek and searching for the Disney College Program. That way you'll get to read blogs of people's experiences on the program. I don't know how much I'd recommend forums like this where it's mostly locals- people who live in Orlando typically don't do the college program. If you're not planning to stay in Orlando after you're done, I'd recommend checking blogs and getting opinions from people who came down here to learn something and went back home to use their new knowledge.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 64,112 times
I did the college program a few years ago and people either love it or hate it. There are really two kinds of CPs. There are the people who love Disney, have fun at their job and realize it IS a job with some pretty fun perks. Then there are the kids who just want to get away for a semester and party and go home bitter because they actually have to *gasp* show up at work!

Some of it depends on the particular area, but I never felt like a slave to Disney. I had plenty of free time. Sure, you'll work mostly closing shifts but it's not like everyone's at home and in bed by the time you get done. The apartments take on a new life after dark.

Is the pay great? Nope. But it's sufficient. I don't know what rent is now, but it's auto deducted from your pay (amount based on which type of apartment you choose - anywhere from 4 to 8 people) and covers everything except your long distance. It'd be tough to find housing off property for the same amount you're paying. BUT, since most people do want to live it up and experience as much as they can, it's best to have a bit of savings coming down with you. The entertainment budget of a CP is significantly bigger than a local. If I needed extra money, I could work extra shifts. And Disney has one of the most generous OT policies I've ever seen. Has to be a half a dozen different ways to get OT. It's not just the standard more than 40 hours in a week. It's anything over 8 hours in a day, any 6th or 7th day in a week. VERY easy to get OT down there if you need a little extra cash.

When I applied, our recruiter was very honest. Unless they've changed things, it wasn't all happy smiling faces in the recruiting session. The recruiters talked about the things that turn some people off. They wanted people to make an informed decision. They didn't want to waste time and money to get someone down there just to have them leave in a month.

Like mentioned already, there are a lot of opportunities to learn and network. You can spend 6 months folding shirts, checking lap bars, or sweeping streets. Or you can take some of the free courses, take opportunities to shadow people in departments that you are interested in, meet people in those departments to make connections. Heck, you can make those connections even if you don't want a career at Disney. To get in the higher level positions, many of those people have been all over the corporate world or at least know former employees that are now somewhere else. Get to know those people, get recommendations, and use that when you graduate.

As for it looking good on a resume, it may not get you the job but it can make you stand out. I've never been on an interview where people haven't been intrigued by that section of my resume. I always get a ton of questions about it. And to the HR people that know what kind of training Disney does, it DOES make a difference. I did my CP back when they still had the business seminars instead of actual accredited courses so we learned how the company became the success it was, the ways they focus on guest satisfaction to stand out against other competitors, etc. THAT really stands out to people. I've found that you don't just have to be working in hospitality/tourism for the rules of Disney to apply. It seems like any job that you have to deal with people (not just guests/customers) some of the training can apply. People laugh at how "Stepford" it is to have all these super pleasant cast members, but if you think about it, it's brilliant. If you present things in the right way, speaking to a person as if helping them is the best part of your day, you can get them to do pretty much anything you want, LOL. It's all in presentation and Disney has learned that if people are barraged by pixie dust and "have a magical day" that they feel good, they want to come back, they want to SPEND.

But the CP isn't for everybody. You just need to take the good and the bad and figure out what your priorities are, what you'd want to get out of a program like this, and if it's worth it to you.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 54,295 times
My sister did the program and she really enjoyed it. I'm about to do the program as well this fall. I guess it all depends on how obsessed with you are with wasting time. I'm looking at it as a break from school, and at least having something to put on a resume. Win win for me.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 PM

95 posts, read 389,991 times
I participated in the Disney CP in the fall of 2007. I really enjoyed it. I was so excited before I started because I am a huge Disney fan. It is a great internship program. I don't know of that many internship programs that offer housing and transportation. I was able to save money by bringing my lunch to work and taking the bus on most days. It is a good experience. I am a seasonal cast member now.

If you want to read more about it, there is a discussion forum I can recommend - PM me if you are interested!

Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 57,359 times
I did the college program, and would reccomend it to anyone. It is always the first thing that interviewers ask about now that I am looking for a career, and the experience can't be beat. What other time in your life are you going to be able to take 5 months to just hang out at Disney World?

As far as pay goes, everyone else is right. They don't pay you a lot, but it is enough to get by. Housing is considerably cheap, and buses are provided to get you to and from work. In your free time, you get discounts all over Orlando for being a Cast Member, and you can go to the parks for free.

And sure, it is a lot of work, but what job isn't? There are definitely times that will you regret working all day during an Orlando summer, but the perks definitely outweigh the work. Disney is a great company to have on a resume, and there are a lot of awesome people there to network with.

If you are offered a position, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. If you go down and work for a few months, and hate it, then you can come home but at least you will have given it a shot.

Also, if you are worried about taking time off from school, you can take classes at Disney University or take online classes from your home school, just to stay on track. Everyone is really flexible and willing to work with you.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 87,429 times
I have a question since you seem to be quite experienced on this issue... Is it valid for Mexico? I mean, if i'm mexican and i want to apply for the CP, can i do that?

(Excuse my english but it's difficult to practice here if no one speaks english, i'll appreciate any grammar or ortographic correction)

Thnx!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,158 times
I know a great many people who are in the college program as i work seasonally for Disney (a couple of times a year for the tickets and discounts....heck i need them with the amount DW and DD go to Disney....lol) and i would agree that its split. Most of the people i know love it. If you get into a position which is to do with your course, such as hospitality, and you suck up to GSM etc then there is no doubt it can be a good networking tool for you. If your intention is just to come down to Fl, bask in the sun and work for Disney for a laugh then realistically you wont get much out of the experience. Disney doesnt pay much, but its more about the experience than the pay. Its the life lessons it will teach you being away from family, fending for yourself in a realistic corporate culture which you cannot learn in the class room.

You need to keep in mind the people in Epcot are in the international program, not earning any creditrs to college and really are doing it as a way to bum around for 1 yr before going to University. For them it is more the experience of being in a foreign country than anything else and they dont earn any college credits as the UK school system is completely different to that here and the 2 dont mesh together.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando