U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,097 times

Advertisements

Hey forum

I am looking to move to the Winter Springs area but had a few questions. I currently don't live in FL so just trying to get a good idea.

I landed on Winter Springs based on some research I did- I was looking for a safe area around Orlando (Disney/Universal). I know this is a little while out but the distance is okay with me if the area is good.

I have read crime is low and it's generally pretty safe. However, upon looking more I found that the county WS is in is high risk for sinkholes, and that there was one a few years back in WS specifically. Again, I am not from FL so I apologize if this sounds dumb but is it dumb to not move to an area because they had a sinkhole or are considered at risk for them? I realize every place has issues (CA earthquakes, Midwest tornadoes, but I'm just trying to get an idea as to HOW big of a concern it is that WS has had a sinkhole recently and if it is dumb to move there based on that info or the fact that it is a high risk county? But then I read that all parts of FL can get sinkholes, but just that WS is a higher risk..? Is that a worry for residents to not want to move to an area based on it happening there before or being as risk?

Again, just trying to get some info on this sinkhole issue in Winter Springs. Just don't want to move there and have my apartment collapse and lose everything so that's just my big concern. Everything else about WS seems to fit with us from what I can tell, just the sinkhole stuff that scares me.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 AM

22,950 posts, read 34,130,530 times
I haven't heard of Winter Springs being a high-risk area for sink holes and can't even point to a specific incident in recent years where one has occurred. I think the odds of becoming a victim of a sinkhole ranks somewhere around being struck by lightning or run over by a car....in others not words not likely.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,097 times
So i found some stuff from 2017 saying there was a sinkhole at an apartment complex in winter springs, and when I looked up maps and just general info on sinkholes, the county winter springs is in keeps being flagged as "high risk" on like every site I look at, so that's why I was concerned. Again, I'm not from FL so I have no idea what to expect, I'm just trying to do some research about them as they are a little terrifying to me, lol.

Since I'm not from there or don't live there I'm just going off of what I see online which is that WS and that county are "sinkhole prone" so it just spazzed me out. I just wasn't sure if they were making it out to be worse then it is? Or if people know that they are an issue but move there anyways?

Thanks for your reply

Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM

2,012 posts, read 3,829,529 times
I’ve lived in Central Florida for most of my life and have never even bothered to look at the sinkhole potential for places I’ve considered renting in. I’d care much more about minimizing my commute on awful roads like I-4 as you are much, much, much more likely to get in a car crash than get swallowed up by a sinkhole. It is such a rare occurrence.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:09 AM

22,950 posts, read 34,130,530 times
It's along the same lines as those who think because "they've heard" that alligators are present in every body of water here in Florida. It's just not the case and we certainly wouldn't be seeing the growth occurring here if the ground was ready to open up at any given moment. You have to remember risk factors vary, and "high risk" no doubt improves the possibility by a few million to one but not to imminent.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 AM

113 posts, read 127,159 times
A sinkhole is basically a limestone cave beneath that caves in. One the east coast of Florida (especially south) the limestone is shallow so there are sinkholes but little and not the dangerous kind. Near Tampa towards Orlando the limestone is deep creating the possibility of a large sink hole to develop ... the kind you hear about on the news. I don't live in FL but have in the past and have relatives that have been life long Central FL residences. My take on the matter is if I bought along the east coast I would ignore sink holes. If I were buying in the "hot spot" area I would see about having a Ground Penetrating Radar test done on the property.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:09 PM

8,253 posts, read 11,783,346 times
I've heard of a bunch of sinkholes in Oviedo and up along I-4 and Deltona, generally Winter Springs is not a common area for them.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM

618 posts, read 610,922 times
We purchased in Winter Springs last year and there were a few homeowners insurance companies that told me they weren't able to insure in that area due to a higher risk for sinkhole activity.

I am not aware of any sinkholes in the area that have occurred, but can't say the risk isn't there either. I wouldn't imagine the risk is any higher here than most other parts of Orlando.

Either way, Winter Springs is still a nice and desirable area and we've been happy living here since our purchase.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:14 PM

3,158 posts, read 881,877 times
I wish there was a HUGE one in Hialeah, and SWALLOWED them all in one hit !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando