Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 8,725 times

Advertisements

I'm debating whether or not to move back to the Orlando area. I'm originally from the Saint Cloud/Kissimmee area, but after reading 100's of theses posts, I'm debating on whether or not I should even move back to Fl. I've had a good job offer, around 80K. I guess what I need to know is if there is a decent area left close to Orlando that has good schools and low crime.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
If you have a job offer, then you may want to consider coming here. I would not suggest coming here wihout a job. The job market here is tough, unless you are in the service industry.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
Default Hi

there are many great neighbourhoods to choose from. I would keep away from Kissimmee / St Cloud just becuae of the tourists, and where there are tourists with cans, there is crime.

I could certainly recommend some areas for you to recommend and if you want a list let me know.

It all depends on where you will be working and the commute time. Do consider, alot of people do paint Orlando negatively on here, and its ashame because it isnt all that bad, and if they lived in good areas themselves, they might not consider that. There is good and bad everywhere, its a fact of life, but if you live in the middle of a gun wielding drug area, you arnt going to be happy

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Default RE:cfIfan

I agree, just reading all these posts about how crime is everywhere and the high cost of living. It seems that people either hate it or love it. I'll be working for Lockheed Martin next to Tangelo Park. I was thinking about the west side, winter garden or clermont areas. I'm worried about the commute and the schools. I have a 9 and a 5 year old. I've also considered the Oviedo area but I'm worried about the commute also. I heard the schools there are pretty decent.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
You do know that Kissimmee St. Cloud area is largely Hispanic now, right? A totally different place than a decade or two ago. Crime is OK, not the highest in the metro area but now really low either. Frankly that whole part of the metro area is unappealing, especially South Orlando. It seems like nobody speaks English in South Orlando, and everything looks very dumpy and low class, even if alot of it is new. Lake Nona is about the only place in South Orlando that looks OK, and how long will that last?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:59 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
What are your boundries of South Orlando? The only dumpy areas I think of are along OBT, Goldenrod, and parts of Kissimmee. There are also very nice parts of Kissimmee, Celebration, Williamsburg, Hunter's Creek, Lake Nona, Vista Lakes and Wyndham Lakes. If your boundries of South Orlando are more generous there is also Belle Isle, Conway, Delaney Park, etc near downtown that is all still pretty nice. The whole SW side of Orlando is pretty nice with the exception of parts of Metrowest/Millenia.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Thanks

I've decided not to accept the job. Thanks for the inputs everyone!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
b1b_gator - I sure hope you haven't based your decision for this job on a bunch of random strangers on this message board. Lockheed Martin is an excellent company to work for and they are worldwide. No one says you'd have to stay in Orlando if you didn't like it down the road. The ironic thing is, most of the people who have turned you off would take that job in a heartbeat!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Default RE: BeenAroundTheBlock

Yep, LM is a great company to work for. I'm currently trying to negotiate with them to try and get a position in Tx instead.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 AM

40 posts, read 247,344 times
We're in Tx trying to get where you are. We should be there in May. My husband will be at the Lockheed Martin in West Sand Lake Blvd. In looking at the house prices, you would do great to come here. We're going there because we're ready for a change. We may eventually come back too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando