U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2006, 05:50 PM

798 posts, read 2,023,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Holy crap, with 80% - 100% humidty HOW CAN YOU HAVE THE A/C OFF??!?! It is soooo muggy, it is very uncomfortable. The A/C is on right now, very wet/muggy, not enjoyable, do not count on having the A/C off unless it's 70 outside, I am serious.

No wonder PianoGirl can afford a home... sheforgoes everything, ever comfort just to pay for the home insurance and mortgage, huh?

Such is the Fl lifestyle!!
It's not 100% humidity. My A/Cs been off for two months. I put it on when the temps are in the 90s. I have ceiling fans in every room. When the A/C is on, it's set to 80. It works just fine for us.

And my water tastes just fine, there is no odor to it at all.

Chris, I really hope you can move soon. You're so unhappy, I really hope you can find a place that suits you better. Life is just too short to be so bitter and unhappy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,686,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2OC View Post
Hello,
I'd like some help in calculating my monthly budget for our home. Not being a Floridian, we need to gauge my expectations on certain things that are particular to the region. Any input will be very helpful!

Before we take a look at your unique needs, please take control of your home. By just doing that you save money. First things first, take control of your home, set some rules and make every help out...

Electricity
Our house is about 3400 SQF AC space. We are not used to the humidity. And having a toddler + infant we expect to keep the AC running 24/7 throughout the house. We'll also work out of the house which will require us to have our computers, servers, printers- all on for a good part of the day. Then add fridge, separate freezer, washer/dryer, this house will demand some juice. If your home is comparable, I'm curious to know what you pay.

DO the basic, set the AC temp to 72 degress that will take care of your AC needs. Change your light bulbs to 13 Watts, you have at least 60 watts, count your light bulbs and multiply to get a wattage requirement. Because your work at home, use a small cooler for your drinks etc, prevents many trips to the kitchen and you are less productive. I do have four computers running with all the applicable equipment and kitchen equipment, spares are located in the garage.Our Electricity bill $160.00

What you do with your kids while you work?

Water
I think there's an ordnance in Winter Garden that you can only water x days per week. I have to look it up again. What is your water bill like? We don't have a pool but we'll be creating our little garden space out back.

Follow the rules (saves money), create your little pond, minimum expense on water. Keep an eye on your laundry routine, consolidate and maximize the washer. Our is $68.00

Gas
We'll probably use gas only for the water heater..

Dont have gas....

Lawn Care
We'll have a standard size front/backyard of a subdivision. What are the going prices for lawn service? Any recommendations? In California, we paid very little ($15) for a weekly service by a local guy.

Because you work at home you need exercise, purchase lawn mover and go down town. No reason to pay some else, pay yourself. Also ask your son to help out. 100 percent profit and you can drink an ALE....

Cable/DSL
I've done some research online about the services offered in the area and we'll probably go with cable for internet. If you have cable, are you happy with it?

Happly with internet service $50 per month, got Sat service $68 for four rooms

Food
In California we're big shoppers of Trader Joe's- a specialty market. We also try to buy organic foods as often as possible. Does the Orlando area have lots of these specialty shops?

Yes, drive and get to know your community, don't depend on us. 100 percent return.

Auto/Gas/Insurance
We sold our car in CA as it doesn't make sense hauling it all the way to FL. We'll be in the market for a mini-van or a SUV. I'm quite happy to say that the prices of cars and gas are cheaper than LA! We need to shop around for a good insurance though.

Be realistic and get what you need not what you dream about. Minivan great, SUV bad deal, anyway you are at home all the time, one vehicle will do.

Entertainment
I think beirs...ng in the Orlando area, this item will increase substantially over the next few yea :)

Buy the season tickets if you plan on attending the amusement park more than once.
Thanks!

OC2OC
Lots of potencial, but our advise is just a perception of our desires. You must evaluate your family needs and use the family members to assist with the decision process. Decisions made by the family will outlast any of our proposal. Take time to meet your next door compadres and talk to them and ask for advise. They feel the same pain/gain that you feel. Best of luck and get away from the computer....

Old 12-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Lots of potencial, but our advise is just a perception of our desires. You must evaluate your family needs and use the family members to assist with the decision process. Decisions made by the family will outlast any of our proposal. Take time to meet your next door compadres and talk to them and ask for advise. They feel the same pain/gain that you feel. Best of luck and get away from the computer....

True and some of the prices provided are for wants, not needs. For example, one can cut their own grass, you don't need both a cell phone and a house phone, you don't need expensive pay channels on TV. One doesn't need the A/C on 70, and if you're in Central Florida, you don't need it all year. However, you might want those things. And you have to pay for your wants.

Try this cost of living comparison calculator. http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/for...lestate/2.html

I compaired Philadelphia moving to Orlando at $50,000 in Philly. It says you'd need to make less than $44,000 in Orlando to have the same quality of life.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM

99 posts, read 369,243 times
Thanks again for the input.

True, evaluating our needs first is of course the most important task. But somehow it still feels that we're moving to another country. Someone joked that we were going to move to the best place in the world: Florida- It's very close to the United States...

Anyway, I've compiled our home budget. One item that really stood out was the property tax. Since our home is brand new, the second year assessment will probably hit us hard. The other high item was insurance (health + auto + home). We'll need to make some concessions like mow the lawn (without the Ale), and save on auto gas, etc. then keep the temperature high, no TV, exercise, sweat it out....

I think I need a beer just about now...

Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 21,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2OC View Post
Hello,
I'd like some help in calculating my monthly budget for our home. Not being a Floridian, we need to gauge my expectations on certain things that are particular to the region. Any input will be very helpful!

Electricity
Our house is about 3400 SQF AC space. We are not used to the humidity. And having a toddler + infant we expect to keep the AC running 24/7 throughout the house. We'll also work out of the house which will require us to have our computers, servers, printers- all on for a good part of the day. Then add fridge, separate freezer, washer/dryer, this house will demand some juice. If your home is comparable, I'm curious to know what you pay.

Water
I think there's an ordnance in Winter Garden that you can only water x days per week. I have to look it up again. What is your water bill like? We don't have a pool but we'll be creating our little garden space out back.

Gas
We'll probably use gas only for the water heater.

Lawn Care
We'll have a standard size front/backyard of a subdivision. What are the going prices for lawn service? Any recommendations? In California, we paid very little ($15) for a weekly service by a local guy.

Cable/DSL
I've done some research online about the services offered in the area and we'll probably go with cable for internet. If you have cable, are you happy with it?

Food
In California we're big shoppers of Trader Joe's- a specialty market. We also try to buy organic foods as often as possible. Does the Orlando area have lots of these specialty shops?

Auto/Gas/Insurance
We sold our car in CA as it doesn't make sense hauling it all the way to FL. We'll be in the market for a mini-van or a SUV. I'm quite happy to say that the prices of cars and gas are cheaper than LA! We need to shop around for a good insurance though.

Entertainment
I think being in the Orlando area, this item will increase substantially over the next few years...

Thanks!

OC2OC
Anyone moving here from California and thinks will be similar are crazy. Our school system is antiquated compared to Calif. Our restaurants and entertainment will never compare in a life time to Calif. As far as the cost of living, Yes it will be cheaper in all areas you ask about. What that means is, if you can afford the luxuries you have in Calif. your ahead of ther game here. One thing to remember about living in Florida, You'll find the old saying of, never do today what you can put off until tomorrow. Florida is a state where they take a siesta every day.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Qualified Voter View Post
....One thing to remember about living in Florida, You'll find the old saying of, never do today what you can put off until tomorrow. Florida is a state where they take a siesta every day.
Not everyone holds that saying near and dear. We all don't just siesta daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando