Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 PM

99 posts, read 553,680 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'd like some help in calculating my monthly budget for our home. Not being a Floridian, we need to gauge my expectations on certain things that are particular to the region. Any input will be very helpful!

Electricity
Our house is about 3400 SQF AC space. We are not used to the humidity. And having a toddler + infant we expect to keep the AC running 24/7 throughout the house. We'll also work out of the house which will require us to have our computers, servers, printers- all on for a good part of the day. Then add fridge, separate freezer, washer/dryer, this house will demand some juice. If your home is comparable, I'm curious to know what you pay.

Water
I think there's an ordnance in Winter Garden that you can only water x days per week. I have to look it up again. What is your water bill like? We don't have a pool but we'll be creating our little garden space out back.

Gas
We'll probably use gas only for the water heater.

Lawn Care
We'll have a standard size front/backyard of a subdivision. What are the going prices for lawn service? Any recommendations? In California, we paid very little ($15) for a weekly service by a local guy.

Cable/DSL
I've done some research online about the services offered in the area and we'll probably go with cable for internet. If you have cable, are you happy with it?

Food
In California we're big shoppers of Trader Joe's- a specialty market. We also try to buy organic foods as often as possible. Does the Orlando area have lots of these specialty shops?

Auto/Gas/Insurance
We sold our car in CA as it doesn't make sense hauling it all the way to FL. We'll be in the market for a mini-van or a SUV. I'm quite happy to say that the prices of cars and gas are cheaper than LA! We need to shop around for a good insurance though.

Entertainment
I think being in the Orlando area, this item will increase substantially over the next few years...

Thanks!

OC2OC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Electricity

Our home is 3200 square feet, we have 3 desktop computers/printers on 24/7 and 2 laptops on alot plus all the wireless networking equipment. My son has a sound system set up that you wouldn't believe that he runs alot, we have 8 televisions 2 of which are 55-60 in. and those 2 and another 27" inch run for several hours most evenings. We have 2 refrigerators, a separate freezer and pool equipment. We try to keep the thermostat set at 76 - 77 in the house during the summer. From November - April, we usually turn the AC up to 78 and it rarely comes on. We also have an electric not gas water heater. Our electric bills run from a low of $200 in the winter to a high of $400 for August/Sept. The average would be around $300.00 a month.
[/color]
Water
In most of this area you can only water 2 days a week. During the rainy season, you can turn the irrigation system off. Our water bill runs from 50.00 a month to 100.00. During dry weather, we have to add water to the pool (due to evaporation) and run the irrigation system thus the $100.00 bill. I would guess the average is around $80.00.

Gas
We don't use gas.

Lawn Care
We pay 65.00 a month - but this is yard care, not cutting the grass. DH likes to do the mowing, edging, weed eating himself. I have a friend that pays about $25 for a very small yard.

Cable/DSL
We have Bright House for internet and cable TV. They have been very dependable and accessible when we've had problems (very few). They also have digital phone, which we tried but hated. They probably have the bugs worked out now, but we tried it when they first introduced it to this area.

Food
We have Chamberlins and Whole Foods Markets.

Auto/Gas/Insurance
People tell me insurance is high in Orlando. I don't know....we pay 250.00 a month with State Farm for 3 drivers, one of them a male underage.

Entertainment
Some of the parks have great deals on Florida resident/season passes. Sea World has a deal going right now if you go and pay for 1 day's admission, it is good for the whole year. Universal has a pass through AAA that was about 99.00 a year for both parks. When our son was small we had Disney passes and it was great. They had 3 season passes back then and they were relatively cheap. Their passes aren't as reasonable now as the other parks. So you may actually spend less than you think.

Congratulations on your move. I hope you enjoy all that Florida has to offer as much as we have raising our son here.

Last edited by pianogal; 12-18-2006 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: change color of font

Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 AM

Hi pianogal. Thanks for your response. We'll take those into consideration.

It seems we have similar households. We're used to paying half of your electric bill even with the equal amount of gear you mentioned. $300/400 month average is pretty high. I can't think of ways to be more energy efficient and still be under air conditioning.

Everything else seems consistent with my forecasts. But having cashed out our entire savings for the downpayment of the home, we're trying to squeeze our costs as much as possible!

We really look forward to enjoying Florida!

Cheers,

OC2OC

Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2OC View Post
Hello,
I'd like some help in calculating my monthly budget for our home. Not being a Floridian, we need to gauge my expectations on certain things that are particular to the region. Any input will be very helpful!

[Water
I think there's an ordnance in Winter Garden that you can only water x days per week. I have to look it up again. What is your water bill like? We don't have a pool but we'll be creating our little garden space out back.

I think all of Central FL (and maybe the state) are allowed to water 2x per week, and that includes those who have their own well. I'm not familiar with the Winter Garden water dept., but if you're on Orange County, you'll pay for sewer based on any water usage, even if it's to water your lawn or wash your car. A lot of people, including us, have a well that we use for irrigation. Still 2x week but we don't have to pay extra for it, except the bit of electricity it uses. Our water company probably isn't available to you since I live in Lake County -- and it's very reasonable!

Gas
We'll probably use gas only for the water heater.

Is it natural or propane? Gas seems rather high to me. We use propane and our last delivery (in Sept.) was $2.70/gal..

[Cable/DSL
I've done some research online about the services offered in the area and we'll probably go with cable for internet. If you have cable, are you happy with it?

OK with Brighthouse Networks...my standard cable is just under $55/mo. (We don't watch enough tv to have the extra channels.) I have DSL thru Sprint/Embarq -- also my phone service. Total is around $85-90/mo. without long distance calls.

Auto/Gas/Insurance
We sold our car in CA as it doesn't make sense hauling it all the way to FL. We'll be in the market for a mini-van or a SUV. I'm quite happy to say that the prices of cars and gas are cheaper than LA! We need to shop around for a good insurance though.

Go with one of the major insurers as long as all of you have good driving records.
.................................................. ..........................

Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks FL_TN_Nana for your input.

I don't think i can dig a well in my subdivision. My HOA will probably throw me in it if they find out. I didn't know this ordnance was so broad. Why is this the case? Lack of water treatment facilities?

Cheers,

OC2OC

Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 PM

didn't know this ordnance was so broad. Why is this the case? Lack of water treatment facilities?

Water Shortage - they are trying to protect the aquifers in Florida so our children and grandchildren will still have fresh water.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:04 PM

It seems we have similar households. We're used to paying half of your electric bill even with the equal amount of gear you mentioned. $300/400 month average is pretty high. I can't think of ways to be more energy efficient and still be under air conditioning.

It is high to me as well. However, our home faces west and in the afternoons during summer the air runs constantly. We are considering putting solar film on our windows before next summer. Neighbors down the street have done that and they say it cut their electric bill significantly.

Also, we have alot of recessed lighting that uses large electric bulbs. In our kitchen alone there are 12 and I seem to use all 12 when I'm in there. In another post in the Florida forum someone posted their electric bill went from 250 to 140 when they changed all their light bulbs from incandescent to the new energy saving types. We are planning to convert over, too. Hopefully with everything combined it will make a difference. Those things I can do painlessly. I have to have the AC! LOL

Old 12-18-2006, 02:37 PM

Hi. We'll have a gourmet kitchen with recessed lights throughout also. I can probably count as many as 15 and a bunch more in the family room. I try to be an advocate of energy savings but our lifestyles controls us so we just try not to waste energy. In our previous home we actually unplugged all devices from the walls, planted bushes near windows and used motion sensors for some parts of the house. I ended up spending more money than saving, but the intention was there...

In this home we plan to change ALL of the light bulbs, treat the windows with film and upgrade the insulation in the attic. But the AC will definitely stay at 65˚!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 PM

But the AC will definitely stay at 65˚!!!

You may be surprised that you may be comfortable with your ac set alot higher. With a new unit that is efficient and will take the humidity out of the air it should feel more comfortable than you may think. I used to keep my air at 72, but I lived in an older house with less insulation and a less efficient unit. Also, someone told me once that the secret to staying cool in Florida is not to keep your house so cold. If you keep your AC on too low, your windows will fog up and then when you step outside the heat and humidity will hit you like a hammer. You'll learn to adjust to all this when you get here - after awhile it's no big deal.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks. We'll have to try it out. Adjusting to the humidity will take time because both of us are spoiled by California's weather.

Is it possible however, to keep the windows open and use the ceiling fans (all rooms have ceiling fan hookups) on? I'm sure the temperature will rise, but if we create enough of an air flow, can it be bearable?

I'm afraid that the constant AC will aggravate our son's dry skin condition in which I'd have to install a humidifier in his room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando