Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:45 PM

116 posts, read 135,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
dunno...but maybe it's time to let go of this black culture descended from slaves thing...and join the rest of us
I just use "Black American" because a lot the black people here are from the West Indies.
They seem have a different view of Florida and are not familiar with the South as a whole. They don't have the same history in the US here as we do.

But anyway that's a whole another conversation and not the purpose of this thread.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtread View Post
you have a lot of stuff to do today yet youve found time to come on a city forum of a city that you no longer live in and complain
Complain? No
Inform a few black Souls, YES!

Old 05-10-2019, 12:52 PM

617 posts, read 824,281 times
That's fine, enjoy your new home. Florida isn't for everybody. 2.5 million people live in Central FL and it's growing rapidly each year so the area must be doing something right to attract all these people. Plenty of people that do like it here that live here.

Good thing you left if you hate it that much, regardless of your factually inaccurate statements. Based on your initial post, it seems that there's a different underlying reason you left and not because of the "race issues," as you seem to point out. Good luck not being a victim in whatever segregated area you moved to to avoid non-blacks, although I'm sure everyone on here feels that won't be the case.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 PM

85 posts, read 97,950 times
1- There are good paying jobs but it is competitive and you need to be qualified. Because of our climate we attract a lot of people and many are willing to take a pay cut because of our lack of income tax.

2- This is America. We have all types of cultures but if you really want African culture get on a plane and go visit there. I have been to Africa twice. How many times have you been?

3- Slavery was over a hundred years ago. There are no living slaves or slave owners. No one is Florida thinks about slavery on a daily basis.

4- There is no blatant measurable racism in East Orlando but I can't speak about the rest.

5- Florida is the third largest state in the country. California and Texas have more lunatics than we do. I have lived in both places; trust me.

7- Schools were better here before we had 23 million people. Parents need to be engaged and ensure that they teach there kids anything that is not covered in school; namely sex ed.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:23 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFL78 View Post

4- There is no blatant measurable racism in East Orlando but I can't speak about the rest.
There isn't any. Anywhere. Unless you go to small rural towns in Sumter county or something.
I'm trying to wrap my head around where in North and South Orange county there would be major racism towards blacks. There isn't any. North Orange is Apopka. South Orange is, what, Dr. Philips and Meadow Woods?

Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 PM

18,206 posts, read 8,027,666 times
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
dunno...but maybe it's time to let go of this black culture descended from slaves thing...and join the rest of us
=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
I just use "Black American" because a lot the black people here are from the West Indies.
They seem have a different view of Florida and are not familiar with the South as a whole. They don't have the same history in the US here as we do.

But anyway that's a whole another conversation and not the purpose of this thread.
=========

well, that was exactly my point....they don't have the "black American culture" thing going on
...might be time to let it go

Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFL78 View Post
1- There are good paying jobs but it is competitive and you need to be qualified. Because of our climate we attract a lot of people and many are willing to take a pay cut because of our lack of income tax.

2- This is America. We have all types of cultures but if you really want African culture get on a plane and go visit there. I have been to Africa twice. How many times have you been?

3- Slavery was over a hundred years ago. There are no living slaves or slave owners. No one is Florida thinks about slavery on a daily basis.

hat the heck are you talkin about? When did I ever say I was a slave from Africa? I said this post is for Black Americans as opposed to other blacks from different countries who might feel differently about Florida. Are you even a black American?

Quote:

5- Florida is the third largest state in the country. California and Texas have more lunatics than we do. I have lived in both places; trust me.

7- Schools were better here before we had 23 million people. Parents need to be engaged and ensure that they teach there kids anything that is not covered in school;

I agree with the part about California Texas but that's about it.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 PM

9,778 posts, read 14,616,562 times
First and foremost, I'm not black American and I haven't lived in Orlando, but I have visited more times than I remember. Some visits have been for a month or two.

Quote:
2- Orlando is relatively devoid of culture. Is mainly a tourist town it's a lot of attractions here that are mostly for the out-of-towners that come to see the mouse and go to the other not so amusing amusement parks. People talk about Eatonville but in reality it isn't much Black Culture here.
That's very obvious after spending a few days in Orlando. For some people this is a good thing, and I'm not talking about the racist folks.

Quote:
6- There is a good amount of tension between the non-white ethnic groups have. By some accounts is not as bad as they say Miami but it is very noticeable. There are many Puerto Ricans here. Some from the lsland of Puerto Rico some from the NY area. The ones that live in Orlando area or unlike some of the ones you will meet up north. They seem to really not like black people. So if your get on the* job with them don't* be surprised if they are scamming to get you fired. And if you go to the register at the gas station to pump gas they may throw your change back in your face. Some of them can pass for Black as well so they're prejudiced might confuse you.
Latinos in general, regardless of race or looks, don't like black Americans. Many will befriend you if you are black from another Latino country, but they themselves will tell you they don't like black Americans. Even black Latinos tend to not like black Americans. Blame it on the media and some bad experience many go through with black Americans. Puerto Ricans are no different from other Latino groups, except many that are from New York are more open to black Americans. They been in the US when Jim Crow laws was in the books, so many Nuyoricans have sympathies with black Americans. Most Latinos came after Jim Crow, so they don't know how bad it was for non-whites.

Quote:
There are also some South Americans here to they're not much different then Puerto Ricans from the islands. You also be surprised who considers themselves white here. It might be somebody that looks just like you but is classified as white. You'll find these Dynamics very peculiar yet interesting
The Spanish thought process is alive and well among Latinos in Orlando. Like I said before, black Americans are at the bottom of the pole. If they have to be with blacks, they prefer black Latino. One of the major reasons is race. Latinos like to not focus so much on race and focus more on social class and how the individual acts, while black Americans focus a lot more on race. Latinos basically see most things as white people do.

Also, no one will confuse a real black with anything else, but mulatto with different looks will be called something else while for most Americans they are simply black. The old Spanish way of identifying is at work here.

Quote:
Some of the West Indies live in in Orlando have a superiority complex or or just generally ignorant about Black American descendants of slaves culture and history. Among the West Indians hear the Haitians are the most look down upon and seem to be treated even worse then black Americans. However there still some division between there too.
You can blame it on the media. It really shapes peoples attitudes.

This is also an arithmetic issue. There are simply too few black Americans descendants of slaves in Orlando. Most have a connection to the Caribbean or straight from Africa. Those from the Spanish islands are more like the Spanish, those from the English islands are more like the English, etc. There's more racial tensions in the English islands than in the French, and more in the French than in the Spanish. There's also different categories for the mixed people. Everyone agrees that a real black is black everywhere, but some of the mixed people are or aren't depending on the type of islands. Either way its different from black Americans.

West Indians are also most of the black people in New York area. Most black Americans descendants of slaves are moving back to the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia…

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-10-2019 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 03:01 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,386,450 times
Quote:
You may come across some Caribbean black people but few American descendants of slaves..
How do you know who is and who isn't?
Do you assume all African Americans are descendants of slaves?

Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM

18,206 posts, read 8,027,666 times
..aren't almost all black Caribbeans descendants of slaves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando