Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 12:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times

Advertisements

Office would be in Celebration I was considering living in Windermere, but I know the best schools are in Seminole county. I was wondering if a commute from Oviedo to Celebration would be too long? I see it's 45 min. Would it be worse then that due to traffic?

We have our youngest in a gifted only school up north where we are from with very small class sizes and he's able to work on things well beyond a normal classroom. He's currently doing 3rd/4th grade work and he's only 5. I can't seem to find any school in the Orange county area that caters to gifted students learning at their own accelerated pace.

I've been told being closer to Seminole county would be better for this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by KH02; 08-23-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 12:39 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I can’t speak regarding special needs children, but generally speaking schools in Windermere are good, there is no reason to commute from Oviedo to Celebration because of schools.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:11 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Yes. Crazy commute

Old 08-23-2019, 02:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
Okay, thanks! Guess I have to concentrate on Windermere and Winter Garden then.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Crazy commute but the schools in Orange County are mediocre at best.

Prepare for an Elementary School with 1000 kids, literally.
Average teachers have very few years of experience.
Special Education (which includes Gifted) mandates are rarely met.

Don't go to your first parent / principal / teacher conference without consulting a specialty lawyer first.
Your child will be under-served without such.

Seminole better, for sure- but the commute is ridiculous.
Florida schools in general are just severely underfunded and thus staffed by scraps.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:44 PM

Ehh I've lived in a few states, went to public schools, private schools... finished my last two years of high school at Dr. Phillips High and honestly there wasn't a big difference when it comes to the actual education. The biggest difference is your classmates and how disruptive they are and how able are teachers and admin allowed to discipline those students. There is no night and day difference between Oviedo schools vs Windermere schools. I'd be happy to compare college placements and bet that there isn't a night and day difference.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:12 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Ehh I've lived in a few states, went to public schools, private schools... finished my last two years of high school at Dr. Phillips High and honestly there wasn't a big difference when it comes t o the actual education. The biggest difference is your classmates and how disruptive they are and how able are teachers and admin allowed to discipline those students. There is no night and day difference between Oviedo schools vs Windermere schools. I'd be happy to compare college placements and bet that there isn't a night and day difference.
Absolute night and day between Oviedo High School and Windermere High School.

Faculty to Student Ratio : Seminole
Amount of graduates who go on to 4 year college : Seminole (This is based of WOHS since Windermere hasn't had a graduating class yet)
Average SAT score : Seminole
Average Teacher Years of Experience : Seminole

Seminole County has 5x as many students accepted into Ivy League Schools as OCPS does- and their district is 1/4th the size.

Windermere High School does win for having the most portables (trailers) for a 2nd year school! Great job with building planning OCPS. Already an overcrowded HS.

If this guy is coming from up North, there's a big adjustment.
Florida schools are downright mediocre. Lots of opportunities for both good and bad.

Here's Application Acceptance rates to Florida's best Public Schools (2017)

From DPHS with a 920 student graduating class.

Applied-Accepted-Percent
UF 99 30 30%
FSU 113 64 56%

So basically 30 out of 920, or 1 in 31 got into UF.

From Oviedo HS with 580 student graduating class.

UF 54 24 44%
FSU 69 40 58%

Here 24 out of 580 or 1 in 24 got into UF.

25% higher college attendance rate is a pretty huge number. Within districts the aim it to gain 1% or so a year.

OCPS boasts 90+ super scholars accepted to top universities in the United States.

That's out of 13,750 annual graduates. Less than 1%!!!

There are small school districts in the Northeast that have 30-50 kids (almost 10-15%) attend Ivy League Schools., Stanford, Northwestern, etc.

If you're complacent with it- that's all well and good.
But statistically, the opportunity exists elsewhere.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:43 AM

You are cherry picking stats... Oviedo High School is 67% White vs Dr Phillips High being 28% White. There are also more low income students. You should look up stats regarding African Americans and college. Also, the student teacher ratio at DPH is 21:1 and OVH is 20:1, not night and day. Anyways we are talking about Windermere here, which has similar demographics to Oviedo. Like I said, I’ve been to Hogwarts style private schools and I attended my last two years at Dr. Phillips. It’s not night and day difference. If you want to use stats, than compare apples to applies, counting race and household incomes of the families. The fact that Dr. Phillips High is mostly minorities yet still has similar placements in UF and FSU is pretty good. Not sure why you didn’t include all colleges instead of cherry picking these two only. If you want to pretend household income makes no difference or minorities especially Black and Hispanic have the same chance on going to college and affording it than I don’t know what else to tell you.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Florida schools in general are just severely underfunded and thus staffed by scraps.
FL is actually middle of the pack in per pupil funding in it country. We do pretty well nationally considering that and there are pockets of good public schools if you know where to look.

Like bmw, I grew up in central FL and attended public school here

Old 08-24-2019, 06:33 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,764 times
Why is it crazy? we have people on here recommending to live in Orlando when they work on the Space Coast, just so they can have access to Shake Shack and Trader Joe on their days off. This commute is no worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando