U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM

874 posts, read 3,327,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
If you go to other city forums you don't see as many people bashing their city, so there's got to be the truth just how bad Orlando is. Sure, some people will like it, especially if they are new, but I lived there for more than a decade, saw the city go down the toilet, and moved. I couldn't wait to get the heck outta there. The jobs are terrible, you get no recognition for excellent work, the traffic is horrible, etc.... I could go on and on. If you enjoy it than that's fine with me, but you should also respect the people who don't like Orlando, i.e: all my friends. Most of the people who criticize Orlando have way more experiences and knowledge of the city than you think.
Wilshire and OP's point to the post is to paint a prettier and more positive picture of Orlando than the negative. Most cities have its pros and cons..naturally..but you get tired of hearing about all the negativity. Some of us folks, would like to hear some positives from time to time..nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 29,029 times
Default Detroit of the South

Surely you jest? I lived in a Detroit suburb for 39 years. Orlando is nothing like Detroit. We lived in S. Florida for 5 years and did not care for it, but love Orlando. Perhaps you should re-visit Detroit before making this comparison.

Jill

Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,164,612 times
Thank you! You know people who say it have never lived in Detroit. They have Youtube videos driving down streets of vacant and burned down homes for miles. Parts of town look like a wasteland in the inner city there. I know Orlando could use some improvement, but the bad parts of town here are nothing like that.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:57 PM

874 posts, read 3,327,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Thank you! You know people who say it have never lived in Detroit. They have Youtube videos driving down streets of vacant and burned down homes for miles. Parts of town look like a wasteland in the inner city there. I know Orlando could use some improvement, but the bad parts of town here are nothing like that.
Very encouraging considering I am a newcomer to your state! Thank you!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM

35 posts, read 152,697 times
If those who still insist on focusing only on the negative still haven't found anything better to do, I'd like you to know that I took my pets out on my back porch, shaded by trees, today at about, oh...six o'clock? The sun was beginning to set and the air outside was almost cool, no humidity whatsoever. All the greenery out behind my house looked so beautiful in the orange glow of the setting sun. I especially like to sit out there in the evenings and watch all the birds fly through the trees, everything from blue jays to cardinals to the occasional hawk. There's also a little gated lake less than a quarter of a mile from behind my house where I can watch ducks and even an alligator that lives in there. The best part about this? I get the opportunity to do this, to sit outside and enjoy all of this nature and great weather almost every day of the year. And, I'll have you know, I do no live in some expensive or fancy suburb backing up to a nature preserve or anything like that. I guess we in Florida are just lucky to have this kind of beautiful nature surrounding us wherever we go.

Ok, I have to admit one downside to my evening-one of my cats brought a lizard into the house and I had to spend 45 minutes getting it back outside.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,162,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliejohns View Post
If those who still insist on focusing only on the negative still haven't found anything better to do, I'd like you to know that I took my pets out on my back porch, shaded by trees, today at about, oh...six o'clock? The sun was beginning to set and the air outside was almost cool, no humidity whatsoever. All the greenery out behind my house looked so beautiful in the orange glow of the setting sun. I especially like to sit out there in the evenings and watch all the birds fly through the trees, everything from blue jays to cardinals to the occasional hawk. There's also a little gated lake less than a quarter of a mile from behind my house where I can watch ducks and even an alligator that lives in there. The best part about this? I get the opportunity to do this, to sit outside and enjoy all of this nature and great weather almost every day of the year. And, I'll have you know, I do no live in some expensive or fancy suburb backing up to a nature preserve or anything like that. I guess we in Florida are just lucky to have this kind of beautiful nature surrounding us wherever we go.

Ok, I have to admit one downside to my evening-one of my cats brought a lizard into the house and I had to spend 45 minutes getting it back outside.

Your fonts are a bit hard on the eyes but I get what you are saying..

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 35,794 times
We recently moved to Orlando (Kissimmee) and have absolutely no complaints so far. I had to stop reading these boards previously because everyone had me very depressed and scared about our upcoming move. We actually relocated because my husband was unemployed and was offered a job here. (I know, unbelievable in Florida's horrible job market, right? ) Anyway, so although we did not choose Orlando, it kind of chose us. I am not complaining though. We moved from Ohio and why my family is back home complaining about snow 2 weekends ago, I was sweating.

I also agree about the foliage here. I took a drive the other day and couldn't believe all the wonderful green everywhere. After living in bare, overbuilt Columbus for 6 years I LOVE seeing green, trees, and flowers everywhere I drive. I think the negative people on here don't realize that the greenery and sun alone are very uplifting and enjoyable to people.
Thanks for the positive thread.
Donita

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 26,488 times
I feel alot of this is bordem.Or people have gotten into trouble in these cities they are bashing.I say its the cup half full/half empty scene all over again.If you are a negative thinker you'll reply negatives.If you are a positive person you'll find some positives in ALL situations. Remember people Life, (in general ) is what you make it.Location means nothing!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 AM

Absolutely!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Can we agree to take a collective stance and ignore a certain unnamed poster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or