Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times

Advertisements

Hurricane Charley's eye went directly over Kissimmee and St. Cloud. My house, built by Tricon, was less than 6 months old. My pool screen went through the back of my house, breaking several windows and causing flood damage. The screen was supposed to handle up to 160 mph winds, but obviously it didn't. And of course no one would take responsibility for the faulty pool screen. I had around 20k in damage to a brand new home. My neighbors house lost their roof. In fact, if you drove around St. Cloud or Kissimmee 3 months after Charley hit you would see roofs covered in blue tarps all over the place.

I didn't read any of the previous replies, but I can tell you that yes, hurricanes can do damage inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam222 View Post
Any thoughts on anticipated damage to a newly constructed home in Kissimmee (Orlando) assuming a category 3, and a category 4 hurricane which makes a direct hit on the east coast? The west coast? In other words, historically, would it be a couple of categories less or would it likely still be pretty strong? I know this leaves the door open to all kinds of variables but this is for anyone in central FL who might have a sense of the past.

Also, when checking out insurance rates, do I need to ask about separate policies for wind, flooding, water damage, etc? Any suggestions for getting the best rates or coverage? I've been a little confused by insurance comments from other posters. What questions should I be asking ins. companies?
New construction is built with the 155mph codes. Kissimmee could have damage but with the 2004 hurricanes, most new homes were just fine. Old homes with new roofs were too. However, in parts of the Kissimmee area, tornadoes went through and those do damage regardless of the age of the home.

Insurance is based on many things, property condition, location and your credit score are the biggest weight on the rates. Trampolines, diving boards, and slides, and big dogs are a problem, however. In Kissimmee, your broad form policy includes wind but not flooding. A separate policy may be needed based on property location.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
New construction is built with the 155mph codes. Kissimmee could have damage but with the 2004 hurricanes, most new homes were just fine. Old homes with new roofs were too. However, in parts of the Kissimmee area, tornadoes went through and those do damage regardless of the age of the home.

Insurance is based on many things, property condition, location and your credit score are the biggest weight on the rates. Trampolines, diving boards, and slides, and big dogs are a problem, however. In Kissimmee, your broad form policy includes wind but not flooding. A separate policy may be needed based on property location.

My house was less than 6 months old and had over 18k in damages....it wasn't a tornado that did it either. Just because they are supposed to be built to code, it doesn't mean they are.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
My house was less than 6 months old and had over 18k in damages....it wasn't a tornado that did it either. Just because they are supposed to be built to code, it doesn't mean they are.

That's a good point. What type of damage did you have? If a large oak tree fell on the house, it's a different story!

By they way, with new homes, you should get a home inspection but a reputable company during various phases of construction to be sure things are done they way they should be. It's well worth the price!

My son closed on his house, two years later, bought a boat that was supposed to fit in the garage according to his plans. He later discovered the garage was nearly 2' short! 2" short is not too bad but to be 2' short is unbelievable. He did not have the house inspected as suggested, by they way. An inspection would have caught that.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM

208 posts, read 507,250 times
Default Moving from Miami

Hello all, we are a family of four and are planning to move from Miami after living here for 38 years to a quieter more family oriented area in Florida. We spent 4 days in Jacksonville/St Augustine area, but I didn't like the wood frame construction of the new homes. Central Florida makes more sense for us since we will be less then 4 hours away from our relatives in Miami. We plan to rent first to get the feel of the new area, plus I prefer to invest most of the $400,000 profit we should make and let my money make money

Can anyone comment on the Clermont and Apopka area? Looks like these areas are good places for outdoor activities, especially nature and bike trails.

Our two sons are 14 and 16 years old and a good high school is a priority.

Any charismatic Catholic Churches in the area?

Thank you all
Frank

Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Cool I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam222 View Post
Any thoughts on anticipated damage to a newly constructed home in Kissimmee (Orlando) assuming a category 3, and a category 4 hurricane which makes a direct hit on the east coast? The west coast? In other words, historically, would it be a couple of categories less or would it likely still be pretty strong? I know this leaves the door open to all kinds of variables but this is for anyone in central FL who might have a sense of the past.

Also, when checking out insurance rates, do I need to ask about separate policies for wind, flooding, water damage, etc? Any suggestions for getting the best rates or coverage? I've been a little confused by insurance comments from other posters. What questions should I be asking ins. companies?
The real issues with Hurricanes will be:

1. Water intrusion, which is one of the #1 reasons why people lose homes to MOLD!!! ANY home, new or old is subject to this. The house might be standing and LOOK fine, but one small hole on the roof will cause mold and your home will be condemned.

2. The 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons were a living hell. They say 2007 is going to be worse due to the hot Atlantic Waters (what fuels hurricane - in 2006 El Nino saved FL big time, but El Nino is gone and 2007 is hot and ready).

3. You need to worry about enough coverage to cover for all your personal property (replacement cost, NOT the one that pays for depreciated property value - if you get the depreciated value, you will get like $100 for your $2,000 couch as it is "old" now). See you need to get "Replacement cost" (that means they will replace your couch - regardless of condition - for a new one in case of an event). The "Depreciated replacement (different companies have different names) will pay you what the item is worth today, factoring in how much value something has lost. One perfect example is a computer you bought for $1,500 last month. 2 months later, hurricane hits and you lose the comp. Under the 'depreciation' one, the insurance co will probably pay you $1,000 for it. Why? Because the item (although still new and useful) is now old and has lost it's value. Be careful!!

You also need ot get a FIXED hurricane deductible, instead of the 2% deductible. Lots of people lost their home and had to move out of state because their deductible was like $12,000 because of the 2% deductible. Pay more and get the fixed $500 deductible. It is FL, hurricanes will likely come!

Another thing: check FloodSmart.gov and see if you are in a flood zone. If you are, get a "Flood policy", as hurricanes dump like 10 - 30 inches of rain and flash floods happen (no New Orleans floods, but still will ruin your stuff.

Oh, get also a "Mold" addendum (rider) as any water intrusion, even if not near your furniture will cause mold (TRUST ME on this, I have first-hand experience on this risk). You also need a "sewer/backed up sweage" addendum, as during hurricanes, if it floods and your house is not flooded, you will still might have the toilets begin to overflow and that nice steak you had for dinner will come back up through the sewer line. Funny to say it, but really real during hurricanes.

If you have jewelery, valuable paintings, a video game collection, guns, expensive computers, office equip at home, etc, you need ADDENDUMS OR RIDERS for everyone of them!!!

Let me know if I can help you any further. I am usually good on the insurance thing, as I help people fight them.

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 04-16-2007 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Almost all damage to homes in Central Florida from Hurricanes is a result of one of the following:

1. Tree falling on house - especially large pine trees;
2. Roofing shingles being blown off.

Very few, if any, homes were blown down or severely damaged as a result of high winds. Outside of trees falling on houses, most damage was water damage from leaky roofs. Hurricanes in non-coastal Central Florida are way overrated as a "disaster".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando