Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 25,843 times

Advertisements

I am from Winter Park, FL, currently living in Charlotte, moving back to Orlando in a month. I, like many people, had my problems with Orlando. I had those problems until I moved to Charlotte. I've been here for 4 years now, and I have not been happy since day one.

The job market here blows, the people around here are not great, and the city is just plain dirty. But what big city isn't? I find it funny reading a lot of these boards with people that have never LIVED outside of the city they are currently residing in. You have a biased outlook on things and most of the time it is negative. I have lived in Los Angeles, Sacramento, Memphis, Orlando, and Charlotte. Out of all of those places, Orlando was the best for me. I was thinking maybe because I was young and in school, but I recently went back for a two week visit and found that there are factors that make the city better than Charlotte that are more than just entertainment and fun.

Crime exist in whatever City you move to, that's the way of the world these days. Sure the housing prices are up in Orlando. But if you're not working in the banking industry or technology here in Charlotte, you're not making the best money so the housing crunch feels the same.

The job market is better in Orlando. I rather work a job that pays 10/ hr and have a life outside of it, than a job that pays 12/ hr and hate my life.

Schools, yes hit and miss like someone said. Fortunately I went to Winter Park High and the school was great.

People spread so much hate on these boards and they don't really have a clue, because they just hate where they are living right now. Spend sometime away from where you're at and live somewhere else and you might appreciate some of the things around you now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM

69 posts, read 82,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfire300 View Post
I am from Winter Park, FL, currently living in Charlotte, moving back to Orlando in a month. I, like many people, had my problems with Orlando. I had those problems until I moved to Charlotte. I've been here for 4 years now, and I have not been happy since day one.

The job market here blows, the people around here are not great, and the city is just plain dirty. But what big city isn't? I find it funny reading a lot of these boards with people that have never LIVED outside of the city they are currently residing in. You have a biased outlook on things and most of the time it is negative. I have lived in Los Angeles, Sacramento, Memphis, Orlando, and Charlotte. Out of all of those places, Orlando was the best for me. I was thinking maybe because I was young and in school, but I recently went back for a two week visit and found that there are factors that make the city better than Charlotte that are more than just entertainment and fun.

Crime exist in whatever City you move to, that's the way of the world these days. Sure the housing prices are up in Orlando. But if you're not working in the banking industry or technology here in Charlotte, you're not making the best money so the housing crunch feels the same.

The job market is better in Orlando. I rather work a job that pays 10/ hr and have a life outside of it, than a job that pays 12/ hr and hate my life.

Schools, yes hit and miss like someone said. Fortunately I went to Winter Park High and the school was great.

People spread so much hate on these boards and they don't really have a clue, because they just hate where they are living right now. Spend sometime away from where you're at and live somewhere else and you might appreciate some of the things around you now.
There's been lots of changes here the last four years and none for the better, they say distance makes the heart grow founder. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,444,834 times
Will you get the chance to visit and spend time in each city?

We spent 2 weeks in NC before moving. Now, mind you, we had *settled* on Raleigh as being a possibility, but not Charlotte. However, the Raleigh office my DH interviewed in offered him a job in their Charlotte office, so it was either that or stay in CA (which I kind of wish we had done, but that is a whole other post and has nothing to do with the quality of Charlotte at all.)

Anyway, if you can visit both places and if your DH can go to both offices, perhaps you and he can get a better picture of what life would be like in each place.

I can't imagine living in Orlando anywhere near busy tourist season! You could never get anywhere!

I personally don't care for Orlando just because of heat, BUGS, flatness (I love mountains!), and humidity. But, for touristy things to do and a beach close enough to drive over for the day, it would be great compared to Charlotte.

Charlotte seems more family oriented. I would say Charlotte is a great place to live but not to visit, if that makes sense....we don't have a lot of touristy things per say, but living here is very comfortable.

And Charlotte is more rural than Orlando????? I don't think so! Drive just outside of Orlando and it is rural! Greater Charlotte has about 1.7M population compared to the greater Orlando area as having just slightly over 2M. Not much of a difference in terms of population, BUT, Orlando is MUCH more crowded during certain times of the year compared to Charlotte.

Please don't get me wrong....I love vacationing in Orlando, esp. during the non-busy seasons!

Dawn

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM

127 posts, read 405,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Will you get the chance to visit and spend time in each city?

We spent 2 weeks in NC before moving. Now, mind you, we had *settled* on Raleigh as being a possibility, but not Charlotte. However, the Raleigh office my DH interviewed in offered him a job in their Charlotte office, so it was either that or stay in CA (which I kind of wish we had done, but that is a whole other post and has nothing to do with the quality of Charlotte at all.)

Anyway, if you can visit both places and if your DH can go to both offices, perhaps you and he can get a better picture of what life would be like in each place.

I can't imagine living in Orlando anywhere near busy tourist season! You could never get anywhere!

I personally don't care for Orlando just because of heat, BUGS, flatness (I love mountains!), and humidity. But, for touristy things to do and a beach close enough to drive over for the day, it would be great compared to Charlotte.

Charlotte seems more family oriented. I would say Charlotte is a great place to live but not to visit, if that makes sense....we don't have a lot of touristy things per say, but living here is very comfortable.

And Charlotte is more rural than Orlando????? I don't think so! Drive just outside of Orlando and it is rural! Greater Charlotte has about 1.7M population compared to the greater Orlando area as having just slightly over 2M. Not much of a difference in terms of population, BUT, Orlando is MUCH more crowded during certain times of the year compared to Charlotte.

Please don't get me wrong....I love vacationing in Orlando, esp. during the non-busy seasons!

Dawn
As far as dealing with tourists, depends where you live. The part of Orlando where I live is far from the tourist area, and most parts of the city never have to really deal with them.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,119,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
As far as dealing with tourists, depends where you live. The part of Orlando where I live is far from the tourist area, and most parts of the city never have to really deal with them.
I agree. I generally think tourists stay south of the 408. Except a few visiting downtown, I think the Millenia mall, Universal, and the north end of I-Drive are some of the northernmost areas that are high in tourist traffic. You can kind of tell by where all the hotels are. The areas of town I am in, I usually see UCF students and families.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 AM

It seemed to me that all the areas around downtown had to deal with tourist traffic but I haven't lived there so I could be way off. My DH always has to work in a downtown building. Where could you live and commute to downtown without having to deal with tourists?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post

Old 05-21-2008, 05:51 AM

Wow, out of all those cities, Los Angeles would win, hands down (lived there for 19 years and want to move back if we can.)

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfire300 View Post

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,119,381 times
I love Los Angeles too.
Areas you could live close to downtown would be Thornton Park, Baldwin Park, Orwin Manor, Delaney Park, Colonialtown, Lake Como, Conway, College Park, Belle Isle.
If you cannot find anything in these areas or you need to look for something cheaper you could look in Dover Shores too. I think most of these areas are free of tourists. Except for how tourists drive, they do not really bother me at all. Sometimes they drive really slow or brake on the freeway though, which is not good LOL!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
It seemed to me that all the areas around downtown had to deal with tourist traffic but I haven't lived there so I could be way off. My DH always has to work in a downtown building. Where could you live and commute to downtown without having to deal with tourists?

Dawn
Anywhere outside of the tourist corridor really, (Kissimmee/192)... I would recommend Seminole County. As you said you haven't lived here...

Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Wow, out of all those cities, Los Angeles would win, hands down (lived there for 19 years and want to move back if we can.)

Dawn
Odd choice for someone who doesn't like traffic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando