U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: Orlando, neighborhood, downtown, traffic, cost of living.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM

986 posts, read 3,136,900 times

Advertisements

As has been well documented on these threads, there are alot of positive and negative views of Orlando and the surrounding areas, with a handful of people offering the same negative remarks over and over again. As a realtor and resident who loves the Central Florida area, i would be very interested in hearing from people who are not from the area and have come in to look at homes to buy or rent and what their views are of the area. The reason i ask that from these people is because people here on vacation wont have the same perceptions as they generally stay in the tourist areas and we all know vacationing somewhere and living somewhere are 2 completely different experiences. I would also like to hear from people who have already relocated to the area.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 AM

40 posts, read 229,082 times
Default Not Even Worried/ Fort Worth "Cops"

We read alot of the negative but we arent worried because being a prior military family, we have moved alot. And everywhere we go there are good and bad neighborhoods and people. We live in Fort Worth Texas and will be relocated to Lockheed in Orlando and we are trying to look at neighborhoods with low crime rates. We aint stupid, we know that there is crime everywhere so we just try to stay away from the high crime areas. Its worked so far.

You people have watched that old TV show called "Cops" right. Well the majority of times they are "Cops in Fort Worth" and everytime it comes on television, my Little brother calls me up and says "Guess where Cops is at tonight" I always answer him by saying "yes, yes, I know, they are in Fort Worth again. And the 5 almost 6 years that we have lived here we have not had any crime near us until this past December. A woman opened her door and was shot and killed in our neighborhood. Well this is a very isolated incident and shocked everyone because we live in such a low crime area but what it was is that a man put a hit out on his wife, which was the second house from the corner on the right hand side. Well the hitman went to the second house from the corner on the right but it was the wrong street. It was my street instead of the next street over where the hit was supposed to take place. So my innocent neighbor was killed by accident.

So you see folks crime is everywhere, you just have to do your own research and try to find the safest areas for your family and still be vigilant no matter where you live. Dont worry...we're still coming to live in Orlando no matter what we read here on this site.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,015,113 times
To be honest, driving around Orlando, my main impression was that the area's sprawl was absolutely berserk. For a metro area of Orlando's size, the physical footprint is massive. You have to drive to get from place to place, and drive quite a while.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 PM

765 posts, read 2,329,138 times
Why has there never been an episode of Cops filmed in Orlando? I bet Disney has something to do with it.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 AM

541 posts, read 1,778,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Why has there never been an episode of Cops filmed in Orlando? I bet Disney has something to do with it.
My cop friend told me about this clip (warning rude):

YouTube - Home Suite Home Dickie Bird Hotel

They make calls there all the time.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM

that was very funny. But lets be honest, it doesnt offer a terriably representive view of Orlando as a whole

Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM

541 posts, read 1,778,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
that was very funny. But lets be honest, it doesnt offer a terriably representive view of Orlando as a whole
No just certain areas like 192

Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM

I cant disagree with that, i do recommend to customers to keep clear of Kissimmee because there is alot of crime there. But that is also because it is a tourist area.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 46,256 times
Hi

I havent posted on here for a while because, to be honest, all the negativity was starting to annoy me. My husband, daughter (2yr old) and I have just bought a business in the Clermont area and are awaiting our visas to move over. We absolutely love Orlando (and for all you smart a**** out there - no not just the Disney area!). We have travelled all over Orlando looking at places to live before deciding on making the move. Yes we do know there is areas of Orlando we need to stay clear of, but for all of those who say Orlando is a terrible place to live, I ask - have you ever lived in the u.k? I'm guessing probably not. We have exactly the same problems over here, add to that ridiculously high cost of living, rude/ignorant people (before everyone jumps at me, Im not saying all Brits are rude or ignorant but Im sure you'll agree that some are), crappy weather, rubbish government (see todays local elections for confirmation of what we think about our government!) and I could go on but Im sure this post would be removed!! LOL!!
The ONLY thing we will miss form this country is the family that we're leaving behind. To sum it up (getting slightly off thread here) , we think Orlando is a great place, and we cant wait to get there.......

Disgruntled Brit!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:59 PM

40 posts, read 229,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
My cop friend told me about this clip (warning rude):

YouTube - Home Suite Home Dickie Bird Hotel

They make calls there all the time.
Thats website was hilarious. Needless to say I wont be staying there, but I know there are much nicer places to stay like the Marriot Residence in or somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or