Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,132,182 times

Advertisements

Any commute going North South where you have to use I-4 is killer during rush hours. East to West has gotten pretty bad, but hopefully will get better once they finish expansion of the 408 on that side of town. For now West to East isn't that bad of a drive at all.

Independence is a great area, very nicely planned, looks great, with great schools. But, like most communities that had their peak building during the peak of the real estate market, there are going to be quite a bit of foreclosures. I just did a quick search in that general area and found 25-30% of the homes for sale are being advertised as short sales or bank owned. Don't get those numbers scare you off though, see how the community looks, check out the amenities and judge for yourself the location.

In my opinion high foreclosure rates do raise a flag, but if the community still looks great, I can see myself living there, and can see the potential once the whole foreclosure mess passes in a year or two, I see the high foreclosure rate as a plus. I mean it's the foreclosures that are dropping values every where now, so I know if I buy in a community that has been hit with foreclosures I know I"ll be able to get a great deal and will most likely see a higher appreciation rate down the road. Just my opinion though...and you always have to see the community yourself to judge if the community will rebound when foreclosures are purged from the market, or if it will stay a bad area.

If you want area's close to downtown and with low foreclosure rates, check into Dr. Phillips or Winter Park. Both area's didn't see as many transactions during the boom. Dr. Phillips having large homes that don't cost an arm and a leg with less than 10% of properties listed advertised as Short sales or Foreclosures. And the great area of Winter Park actually has closer to 2% of properties on the market advertised as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM

71 posts, read 402,334 times
So is there more 'prestige' being able to say you live in Windermere rather than Winter Garden? And if so, why? Just curious.

Thank you, GregTraub, your reply is very informative.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM

'Prestige' that really is the only difference. Winter Garden I guess has gotten a certain reputation as it's been a nice quiet working class town for so long. While Windermere is newer and known for Isleworth and the ultra affluent.

I never buy into the whole prestige crud. If it's a nice neighborhood, you get to go to the schools you want, an address is just an address. Would a rose called by any other name not smell as sweetly?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:02 PM

71 posts, read 402,334 times
Thanks. I really was curious. We live in a town where if you mention it by name people usually (not always) presume that we are "wealthy". Makes me crazy to have that sort of label put upon us, but it is what it is, silly as it may be. Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM

46 posts, read 244,924 times
thanks Greg, that is a very helpful answer. Our agent had painted the foreclosure issue in a different way, its good to have another perspective. We'll definitely have a look at the community- like you say, the upside should be better. The 'prestige factor' only interests me and probably most buyers from the viewpoint of resale value. When buying in the boston area, we passed on the super pricey prestige areas to find a really nice area with good schools/community and more reasonable prices but a longer commute
BTO

Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM

986 posts, read 3,536,479 times
Indepndence is unique in terms of it is actually in Windermere, although for some reason it was given a Winter Garden Address. I prefer it that way, we get the great schools with a slightly lower tax bill

Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
Indepndence is unique in terms of it is actually in Windermere, although for some reason it was given a Winter Garden Address. I prefer it that way, we get the great schools with a slightly lower tax bill
Good Point on the tax bill.

There will always be a market for prestige that's for sure. That's why we have Audi, Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc, it's the same car (more or less) just give it a different name and all of a sudden people are willing to pay more for it. (Ok I guess I do buy the prestige stuff, I drive a Nissa....I mean Infiniti )
As far as prestige in the re-sale market for homes, everything is relative. In a few years a home in Windermere will be worth more than the same home in Winter Garden. But then again you would also have to spend more today to buy that Windermere home as well.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM

46 posts, read 244,924 times
Default Viewed Independence today

Well, thanks for the info on Independence. I finally had a chance to visit mysel today- to Avenue of the Rushes. Visited 2 of the lakefront homes. The houses themselves were quite nice. Having visited a number of other subdivisions today, I can see that it does offer an opportunity for budget (relatively) lakefront living, but for 2 million list price, that area of the development did not impress. Quite an ambitious project overall and I can see how it would be a nice neigbhorhood in other areas.
thanks
BTO

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,150 times
Default Thoughts on Independence

My wife and I visited Independence in Winter Garden this week and really enjoyed it. It is a great area of town and we like the houses.
We did notice that there seemed to be a lot of abandoned/possible foreclosed houses in the neighborhood.....which may not be a good thing.
Engle is the builder, which worries me because they are in financial trouble and if they go under.....what will happen to the houses they are building and to the rest of the neighborhood which has not been completed yet?

If anyone has any thoughts or info on this neighborhood, Id love to here it.

Thanks, Eric

Old 06-10-2008, 03:43 PM

91 posts, read 333,203 times
This subdivision was discussed a few weeks ago...

I hope this helps.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...community.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando