Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:15 AM

207 posts, read 748,726 times

Advertisements

The unwritten rule of thump where I'm from up North is 10% for lunch and 15% for dinner. I'm here right now in Orlando on Vacation and wondering what is the
% here in Orlando?
IN case you wondering why am I up so late (4:00 Am) here in Orlando, well my
$69 dinner for two ($60+$9 tips) kept me from sleeping due to constant running to the John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
P+N

19 posts, read 53,157 times
I think the new understanding in general, regardless of location is 15% for lunch and 20% for dinner. We tend to do 20% at any meal. The wait staff work hard and get paid very little!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P+N View Post
I think the new understanding in general, regardless of location is 15% for lunch and 20% for dinner. We tend to do 20% at any meal. The wait staff work hard and get paid very little!
20% Wow! i guess i haven't been eating out much lately
I remember a long long time ago working in 4 season hotel the wait staff don't really care much about the actual hourly wages, they only care about the tips, some night they bring home $400-$600 a night Tax free.
BTW: the hardest working guy/girl in the restaurant is not the wait staff, it's the busboy, they also get paid very little and no direct tips from the customer.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:15 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan85 View Post
20% Wow! i guess i haven't been eating out much lately
I remember a long long time ago working in 4 season hotel the wait staff don't really care much about the actual hourly wages, they only care about the tips, some night they bring home $400-$600 a night Tax free.
BTW: the hardest working guy/girl in the restaurant is not the wait staff, it's the busboy, they also get paid very little and no direct tips from the customer.
Inocorrect,busboys at most major restaurants are paid the same $3 an hour as waiters and they get tipped a percentage of the waiters sales.Waiters also have to tip other staff members for example if I worked a shift from 11 am to 5 pm and made $100 in tips from my sales I wouldn't be leaving with $100.Let's say my tables total checks were about $700 and I made about $100 so I made about 15% average in tips.Now I have to go tip the bussers about $18-$20,the food runners about $10 and the bartenders also about $10.So instead of leaving with $100 I'm leaving with about $60,less than 10%.This is exactly why tips should be between 18-20% for lunch or dinner.And as you can see busboys do make their money from tips left by the customers.As a server depending on how much you make in tips your paychecks from the $3 you make an hour could have you getting paychecks for $0 if you made a lot in tips in comparison of the hours that you worked.So it's possible and likely all the money you're making is from tips.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM

87 posts, read 292,182 times
tips are not tax free. they are taxable income and the government assumes you get tipped at least 10% and taxes you for that as a minimum if you don't declare more.

at least that is my vague recollection of my waiting days from long ago. but at the very least, it IS taxable income by the feds. most states also tax it, so i am confused as to where anyone is earning $400 a night "tax free."

Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Inocorrect,busboys at most major restaurants are paid the same $3 an hour as waiters and they get tipped a percentage of the waiters sales.Waiters also have to tip other staff members for example if I worked a shift from 11 am to 5 pm and made $100 in tips from my sales I wouldn't be leaving with $100.Let's say my tables total checks were about $700 and I made about $100 so I made about 15% average in tips.Now I have to go tip the bussers about $18-$20,the food runners about $10 and the bartenders also about $10.So instead of leaving with $100 I'm leaving with about $60,less than 10%.This is exactly why tips should be between 18-20% for lunch or dinner.And as you can see busboys do make their money from tips left by the customers.As a server depending on how much you make in tips your paychecks from the $3 you make an hour could have you getting paychecks for $0 if you made a lot in tips in comparison of the hours that you worked.So it's possible and likely all the money you're making is from tips.
Thanks for the info. i did not know that you have to share your tips with the
the rest of the staffs. I guess from now on, whenever i'm in orlando i have to make sure i give at least 20% tips.

Last edited by LeafsFan85; 05-06-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
tips are not tax free. they are taxable income and the government assumes you get tipped at least 10% and taxes you for that as a minimum if you don't declare more.

at least that is my vague recollection of my waiting days from long ago. but at the very least, it IS taxable income by the feds. most states also tax it, so i am confused as to where anyone is earning $400 a night "tax free."
what i'm trying to say is that the gov't can't not find out exactly how much you make from tips in a year. for example if you make 60k this year from tips alone and if you declare 10k,20k, or a full amount 60k, how will the gov't know the exact amount you make this year?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 PM

87 posts, read 292,182 times
there is a big difference between something being tax free and something being easier to hide if you are the sort of person that cheats on your taxes. tax free means LEGALLY tax free.

and i do think the government assumes for the purposes of withholding that you get tipped 10%, so they tax you accordingly. i am not sure about that though. that's just my vague recollection. still, if they see that you work full time as a waitress and don't declare any tips or very few, i am sure that's an audit flag!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,644 times
I do at least 15%, many times 20%+. One time my waitress sucked, and I tipped 10%, and she ran out screaming at us. Ever since then, even if the service is horrible, I give at least 15%. I would rather not get yelled at when I pay good money for a meal.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I tend to agree with the 20% folks, regardless of the meal. I have not seen any place in the country that is still at 10%... Mind you I have seen many people that are l;iving like they are still in the 60's ... when that was the standard. I think the current hourly is about $3.25 here for servers.
Oh and if you occupy a table and drink only coffee... you should tip way above what the standard is. You have taken away their opportu ity to make money by sitting there. so the >25 cent tip for your coffee doesnt cut it. make it $2-5 or just stay at home.
Remember if there is a problem with the food... the waiter did not cook it, take it up with a manager or the cook. If the server was friendly, prompt, attentive, and aware of your dining experience then tip them. I have no qualms telling people that can't tip to eat at home you are not wanted in public dining situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando