Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 09:51 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times

Advertisements

I have some friends who would be moving to Orlando in the coming up months. They have a job that is located just north of the airport, but they don’t know the city at all (and neither do I - hence why I’m asking you guys).

What areas/neighborhoods would you suggest if they have children (so good schools) and have a budget max of around $700k? A yard would be nice. Walkability would be nice, but not necessary. I think they mentioned Baldwin Park? What other areas should they look at?

Also - can you tell me how the school system works? It seems like there are a lot of charter schools there. We have some, but where they are, you typically go to the school you are zoned to. So if you don’t like the school you are zoned to, you move or you go to private. Also - how do schools deal with 504plans?

I just don’t know anything about Orlando to help point them in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ advice!

Last edited by lhafer; 11-16-2020 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 12:28 PM

747 posts, read 497,895 times
At $700k and near the airport, I'd strongly recommend Lake Nona. It's not walkable, like at all, but it's very safe with very good schools. There are a ton of other nice places at that price point, but they might be aways from the airport. Dr. Phillips, Oviedo, Baldwin Park, Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes, Winter Springs, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Windermere are all really nice but there's going to be a commute. I'd suggest living in close proximity to where you work, because traffic can be bad here (although far less so with the pandemic).

Another area that's relatively close by to the airport and is pretty nice is Meadow Woods.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:40 PM

17,179 posts, read 15,382,471 times
I also suggest looking at Lake Nona.
Not “walkable” by any measure, but very nice.

Anything within the core is walkable: Baldwin Park, Delaney, Audubon, Eola Heights, Thornton Park, Azalea Park, etc.
But not as close to “just north of the airport” as Lake Nona, and traffic can be a pain.

I recently moved to Baldwin Park, and I absolutely love everything about it — but I work downtown, so commute to me is a non-issue. I can ride a scooter to the office. Or, on a nice cooler day, walk there.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
For $700k you could get a beautiful place in one of the walkable areas downtown. What age are the kids? For Elementary, Hillcrest is great but you’d have to live in Lake Eola Heights as they only let a certain amount of neighborhood kids in (it’s a magnet school). LEH is a super walkable neighborhood and you can get pretty much anywhere around downtown by foot or bike/scooter. Audubon Park and Winter Park are both lovely and walkable and have great schools. Delaney Park is gorgeous but a little further from stuff to be truly walkable, but has fantastic schools as well.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:34 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Kids in elem, middle and high school.

Commute really isn’t a concern I don’t think. Coming from Houston - normal (precovid) commute was 45-60 minutes one way. Not that they want to be that far again, but Houston traffic is some of the worst in the nation. Not sure they are that worried about commuting. They would rather really like the area they live in. Walkability would be a nice change.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:46 PM

54 posts, read 55,504 times
Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Dr Phillips — they all have excellent schools on all levels. I am in Dr Phillips, and my kids went through Elementary, Middle, and High. The youngest will be going to high next year, and probably we will be refined for new school. By the way, commute from Dr Phillips to the airport is a breeze, if they don’t mind to pay tolls.
25 mins is what it takes me from my home to the terminal on a not so good traffic day.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Obviously walkable is important so not sure why the heavy pitches for places where you can't even walk to a store for the most part. At the 700K price point with good schools at all levels Winter Park/Baldwin Park is the best option in my opinion given it's at least walk-friendly with sidewalks to parks if not commercial areas.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:48 AM

747 posts, read 497,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Obviously walkable is important so not sure why the heavy pitches for places where you can't even walk to a store for the most part. At the 700K price point with good schools at all levels Winter Park/Baldwin Park is the best option in my opinion given it's at least walk-friendly with sidewalks to parks if not commercial areas.
The OP very obviously and plainly says “walkability would be nice but not necessary.” The very first things mentioned were schools, budget, and a yard.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:51 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I have some friends who would be moving to Orlando in the coming up months. They have a job that is located just north of the airport, but they don’t know the city at all (and neither do I - hence why I’m asking you guys).

What areas/neighborhoods would you suggest if they have children (so good schools) and have a budget max of around $700k? A yard would be nice. Walkability would be nice, but not necessary. I think they mentioned Baldwin Park? What other areas should they look at?

Also - can you tell me how the school system works? It seems like there are a lot of charter schools there. We have some, but where they are, you typically go to the school you are zoned to. So if you don’t like the school you are zoned to, you move or you go to private. Also - how do schools deal with 504plans?

I just don’t know anything about Orlando to help point them in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ advice!

Baldwin Park
Lake Nona (Laureate Park)
Dr. Phillips
Lake Eola Heights / Thornton Park

These areas are all commuting distance to the airport and are nice areas $700k can get you into. If they choose Lake Eola Heights / Thornton Park, they will likely want to use private schools, my recommendation would be Lake Highland Prep, which super close from there. This will give them various examples of what Orlando has to offer. Lake Eola Heights / Thornton Park, historic charm, walkable to downtown. Baldwin Park, urban walkable master planned community, full of life. Dr. Phillips, upscale suburb community close to all the action with all the fixings like whole foods, trader joes, restaurants, theme parks, etc. Lake Nona, huge upscale development near the airport, modern walkable town center/downtown, Laureate Park is full of trails, walkways, walkable to the town center, high speed rail from MCO to Miami coming soon.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:03 PM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
The OP very obviously and plainly says “walkability would be nice but not necessary.” The very first things mentioned were schools, budget, and a yard.
So if walkability isn't necessary and schools are, why in the world hasn't Oviedo entered the conversation? It's the best family suburb in the metro area with the highest ranked public schools, in particular the Hagerty HS zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando