Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 02:54 PM

14 posts, read 13,529 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I have thought about moving to Orlando. Currently, we live in Lower Manhattan but since I'm working from home we've spent the last 1.5 months at a friend's in Winter Garden and a couple of weeks in Fort Lauderdale. We have looked around previously but decided we would likely rent an apt for a year to get a better feel for where we want to be. Our children are older so they'll likely stay in NYC at the apt and occasionally visit, so a 2 bedroom would make the most sense.

This weekend we're going to walk around downtown Orlando to check out locations of apts and see which area we like the most. We previously looked at apts that were for sale at the Vue and The Sanctuary. We're basically looking for a full-service upscale building with nice amenities and we'd love to hear people's opinions on which buildings are nice and which locations in downtown they'd recommend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 05:26 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Is being downtown a requirement? If you’re amenable to being slightly outside of downtown, take a look at The Princeton in College Park. CP is a nice neighborhood, pretty walkable, easy access to grocery, drugstores, restaurants, etc, and just a few minutes drive from downtown, Winter Park, other nice areas.

https://www.theprincetonatcollegepark.com/

Old 02-04-2021, 05:30 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Is being downtown a requirement? If you’re amenable to being slightly outside of downtown, take a look at The Princeton in College Park. CP is a nice neighborhood, pretty walkable, easy access to grocery, drugstores, restaurants, etc, and just a few minutes drive from downtown, Winter Park, other nice areas.
I agree.
Add Baldwin Park to the mix, same reasons listed above.

If you MUST be downtown, I believe Sanctuary is considered to be the top. I myself like The Jackson quite a bit.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
I agree and feel you might prefer the College Park neighborhood as well, which doesn't have the homeless/loitering issues found around Lake Eola either.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:55 AM

491 posts, read 518,516 times
The Vue and Sanctuary are the best and largest. Waverly is nice too and has Publix across the street. Sanctuary is my favorite.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:42 AM

210 posts, read 271,207 times
I would give the Vue a hard no. The Sanctuary or the Star Tower would have the nicest amenities. I have a number of friends in the sanctuary. It's an older and more professional crowd.

Every time I've been in the Vue it reminds me of a W hotel in a city. Young and loud semi-professionals. And their elevator is always broken. And the front desk staff isn't friendly.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:

https://www.theprincetonatcollegepark.com/
Thanks for the suggestion, we actually went to check it out today. It was nice but not what we're looking for.

I picked Downtown since it's not Manhattan but a little similar, so it would likely provide some of the amenities and feel we're used to. I would not expect to have 4 supermarkets, including a Trader Joe, 25+ restaurants (5 Chinese), etc all within a block or two like we currently do in Manhattan. But I do want walkable choices and I either like the Urban feel or will go full Suburbia, ie Windermere, etc.

We did check out Camden and CITI Tower today, We liked the location, a little quieter for downtown and prefer CITI (which was more expensive.) However, we thought CITI was a little overpriced (relatively) for the type of fixtures they used in their apts.

Bummed to hear the critique of the VUE. We looked at it a couple of years ago and liked it, especially the gym. We'll check out some of the other suggestions, really appreciate them all! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycupstate View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, we actually went to check it out today. It was nice but not what we're looking for.

I picked Downtown since it's not Manhattan but a little similar, so it would likely provide some of the amenities and feel we're used to. I would not expect to have 4 supermarkets, including a Trader Joe, 25+ restaurants (5 Chinese), etc all within a block or two like we currently do in Manhattan. But I do want walkable choices and I either like the Urban feel or will go full Suburbia, ie Windermere, etc.

We did check out Camden and CITI Tower today, We liked the location, a little quieter for downtown and prefer CITI (which was more expensive.) However, we thought CITI was a little overpriced (relatively) for the type of fixtures they used in their apts.

Bummed to hear the critique of the VUE. We looked at it a couple of years ago and liked it, especially the gym. We'll check out some of the other suggestions, really appreciate them all! Thanks!
In that case, no reason NOT to go to Sanctuary unless priced out.
I’ll also repeat The Jackson as a good choice. Beautiful place. It’s right next to Star Tower (which is also a good choice)
Just FYI, I’d stick with that side of downtown if I were you (South Eola/Thornton.) The main strip along Orange and Rosalind will have lots of the young riffraff mentioned above, which is why I would also skip out on The Vue.

Also, be prepared to spend LOTS of money on HOA. A friend of mine who owns in Sanctuary pays $800/month.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
In that case, no reason NOT to go to Sanctuary unless priced out.
I’ll also repeat The Jackson as a good choice. Beautiful place. It’s right next to Star Tower (which is also a good choice)
Just FYI, I’d stick with that side of downtown if I were you (South Eola/Thornton.) The main strip along Orange and Rosalind will have lots of the young riffraff mentioned above, which is why I would also skip out on The Vue.

Also, be prepared to spend LOTS of money on HOA. A friend of mine who owns in Sanctuary pays $800/month.
So that is the area where CITI is? between S. Rosaland and Summerlin?

Also, it seems like the Sanctuary is Condo only, with no rentals. Is that the case? I so it would be individual owners who decide to rent their place out?

BTW, my HOA in NYC is $2600 a month. But that includes a parking spot and taxes...

Last edited by nycupstate; 02-04-2021 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-05-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycupstate View Post
So that is the area where CITI is? between S. Rosaland and Summerlin?

Also, it seems like the Sanctuary is Condo only, with no rentals. Is that the case? I so it would be individual owners who decide to rent their place out?

BTW, my HOA in NYC is $2600 a month. But that includes a parking spot and taxes...
To my knowledge, yes, they are all privately owned condos. Same with most other higher end residences in that area.

LOL at your HOA. My goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando