Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 AM

17 posts, read 65,311 times

Advertisements

I am currently stationed at Bolling AFB in D.C. and I have to agree with you totally. I-4 at its worst can't shake a stick at I-295 and I-495 on a typical day. If your husband is able to work "flex hours" you can usually get on I-4 before 6 without problems.
The nice thing about the Sable area is how close everything is to you. Cranes Roost Park and the Altamonte Mall are just a 5-10 minute drive, yet your in the natural habitat of Florida woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 12:58 AM

64 posts, read 202,274 times
HB, I teach & coach basketball at Seminole High School. I also taught & coached at Winter Springs High School. Many families from the upscale gated communities send their children to Seminole even though they can afford to send their children to private schools - so they must be happy with some of the things we are doing. All of Seminole County Public Schools are very good. Seminole is no exception. The Health Magnet & the IB program are well known at Seminole. However, many people over look all the other great things happening. Seminole's Advanced Placement courses continue to grow; the Dazzlers (our dance team) continue to win title after title; the chorus & band continue to win competitions; and much more. My son loves the school. When deciding on a school, I would concentrate more on matching your children's interests with the high school - because all the schools are good. Seminole is known for the Health academy, the IB program, and for its success in the performing arts; Crooms is known for Technolgy; etc. I would certainly not rule out a home because its zoned for Seminole. My family bleeds orange & black. Send me a private message if you have specific questions about the schools. My wife substitute teaches at many of them. She gets a real good idea of each school from a substitute teacher's point of view.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:04 AM

64 posts, read 202,274 times
As far as the rankings posted on a previous page, which FCAT scores are those? Are they the math scores, the writing scores, the reading scores, the science scores, or some combination. The best thing to do is visit the Florida Department of Education's web site, then you can choose the statistics you want to compare.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:35 AM

17 posts, read 65,311 times
Smile Seminole Schools Are way better for education

Kris Cole,
I will have to agree with you entirely. A few years ago, I worked for Orange County Public Schools. In my civilian job, I now work at Lowe's in Altamonte Springs although currently deployed with the military. I also grew up in and went to OCPS growing up. The education my daughter is getting in Seminole County (Sabal Point Elementary) far surpasses what she would have received in Orange County.
Seminole County approved an extra half cent sales tax years ago that went to their education program. This has proved wonderous for the ENTIRE county. The other thing that makes these schools successful is the PARENTAL involvement. Children are more motivated to want to succeed when parents LEAD FROM THE FRONT by being involved in their education. If more parents did this throughout Florida, we would see our State lead in every aspect of education throughout the Nation.
Bryan

Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8rfan View Post
I am currently stationed at Bolling AFB in D.C. and I have to agree with you totally. I-4 at its worst can't shake a stick at I-295 and I-495 on a typical day. If your husband is able to work "flex hours" you can usually get on I-4 before 6 without problems.
The nice thing about the Sable area is how close everything is to you. Cranes Roost Park and the Altamonte Mall are just a 5-10 minute drive, yet your in the natural habitat of Florida woods.

I say that about DC traffic all the time. It's good to know I'm not the only one who remembers that DC commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando