Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's not true at all. It just shows the glaring difference between wages in FL and most of the country.

School teachers and nurses in FL are also among the lowest paid in the nation.

Someone making $20 an hour in CA is living better(even with the higher cost of living) than someone making $9 or 10 in FL.

The cost of living isn't 50% higher in CA.
I disagree. Someone making 20 an hour in Cali is certainly no better off than someone in Fl. making 10 an hour. They may be much worse off in fact.

And YES, housing in California is 50% higher than in Florida (or more).
And call center employment works for some people. It's not for me but some people make it work. Flexible hours and being able to sit helps many people incapable of manual labor.
Many years ago I worked in a call center for $24.00 an hour. Great schedule, flexibily, benefits etc. Rare to find but they are out there. Disney unfortunately isn't one of them.

Last edited by Booya; 09-25-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I disagree. Someone making 20 an hour in Cali is certainly no better off than someone in Fl. making 10 an hour. They may be much worse off in fact.

And YES, housing in California is 50% higher than in Florida (or more).
And call center employment works for some people. It's not for me but some people make it work. Flexible hours and being able to sit helps many people incapable of manual labor.
Many years ago I worked in a call center for $24.00 an hour. Great schedule, flexibily, benefits etc. Rare to find but they are out there. Disney unfortunately isn't one of them.
I have lived in both states.

I'm not talking about buying a house, houses do cost more in CA.

But someone making $8 or $10 an hour shouldn't be buying a house anyway.

For someone who is renting an apt they would have a higher standard of living in Southern CA on $20 an hour vs. getting by on say $9 or $10 in Orlando.

Car insurance, groceries, utilities cost more in FL(you're not running the A/C in CA for 9 months out of the year nor do you need the heat on too often)

The problem with FL is the COL has gotten very expensive while the wages remain low.

It does not cost twice as much to live in CA as it does here.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
I have lived in both states.

I'm not talking about buying a house, houses do cost more in CA.

But someone making $8 or $10 an hour shouldn't be buying a house anyway.
Oh, Ok. so says you lol.
And people in California who make $20 an hour could not purchase a house.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 25,900 times
I have first hand experience working at the DRC having worked there for almost 2 years. It is very hard work, ie sometimes over 200 calls in queue. A lot of pressure from management, SELL SELL SELL!!! Very long hours....but flip side is that you can work as many hours as you choose over what you are scheduled. Seniority changes rapidly and that is good and bad, schedule wise. The system is not hard to understand once you learn it.You can earn a decent salary but it is based on how many hours you are willing to work. They have very good incentives/contests. Disney is a wonderful company to work for as long as you keep it into perspective....IT IS A JOB. Pay is fair and if you want to make a good paycheck...OT is a must!! Hope this helps!! Good luck!!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Oh, Ok. so says you lol.
And people in California who make $20 an hour could not purchase a house.
I lived in Southern CA for 20 yrs, I have a good idea about the COL.

Again, not talking about buying a house.

A single person in Southern CA making $20 an hour can live better than someone making $10 an hour here.

FL is by no means cheap other than buying a house.

The salaries here are a joke compared to most of the country.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 2 TN View Post
I have first hand experience working at the DRC having worked there for almost 2 years. It is very hard work, ie sometimes over 200 calls in queue. A lot of pressure from management, SELL SELL SELL!!! Very long hours....but flip side is that you can work as many hours as you choose over what you are scheduled. Seniority changes rapidly and that is good and bad, schedule wise. The system is not hard to understand once you learn it.You can earn a decent salary but it is based on how many hours you are willing to work. They have very good incentives/contests. Disney is a wonderful company to work for as long as you keep it into perspective....IT IS A JOB. Pay is fair and if you want to make a good paycheck...OT is a must!! Hope this helps!! Good luck!!!!
How is it a good job if you have to work overtime just to get a decent paycheck?

Sounds like modern day sweatshop.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
I lived in Southern CA for 20 yrs, I have a good idea about the COL.

Again, not talking about buying a house.

A single person in Southern CA making $20 an hour can live better than someone making $10 an hour here.

FL is by no means cheap other than buying a house.

The salaries here are a joke compared to most of the country.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree (although this is a super old thread ). I've lived in both FL and Southern CA.

Other than housing cost and taxes, pretty much everything else in CA costs the same as in FL (our energy bills here are way less). In my field at least, I make significantly more here than in FL. I know that CA gets a lot of negativity, but I definitely feel "better off" here then when I lived in FL.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree (although this is a super old thread ). I've lived in both FL and Southern CA.

Other than housing cost and taxes, pretty much everything else in CA costs the same as in FL (our energy bills here are way less). In my field at least, I make significantly more here than in FL. I know that CA gets a lot of negativity, but I definitely feel "better off" here then when I lived in FL.
Even going back 5 years or so gas used to be so much more in California than Florida,now it's just a little more.It seems like aside from housing everything else in Florida has caught up to the higher prices in California.And even though housing is still pretty high in California the prices have also dropped off so I have to agree that someone making $20 an hour in California is much better off than $10 in Florida.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:51 AM

28 posts, read 165,015 times
Default drc orlando .. location ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 2 TN View Post
NEW, can you pls assist ? WHERE is the actual call center located in orlando ? my classmate who just relocated has experience with a call center for a major cruiseline. she just needed to know WHERE the center is before she pursues applying thru the casting center, etc. ( she just relocated and is in temporary housing ). THX YOU SO MUCH !!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 25,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrychef View Post
NEW, can you pls assist ? WHERE is the actual call center located in orlando ? my classmate who just relocated has experience with a call center for a major cruiseline. she just needed to know WHERE the center is before she pursues applying thru the casting center, etc. ( she just relocated and is in temporary housing ). THX YOU SO MUCH !!
The Disney Cruise Call center is located in Celebration just off Disney property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando