Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times

Advertisements

florida, generally speaking, is NO place for a person with a great education from a great school or with graduate degrees unless its in the medical or rehab field. there is NO corporate culture in florida. some companies set up back office operations down here and take advantage of cheap labor. the state is built on tourism, retirement and some agriculture. u dont go to an ivy league school then move to florida. most kids that graduate UF, a good school, move to cities in the northeast for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
^^^^

As I always say, come to Florida WITH a job, not FOR a job. Start out in a big city, or at least in a growing city like Atlanta or Houston. In many ways, Florida is a borderline corporate backwater although it has a lot of perks for small business owners (some unfortunately like the ones you listed).

Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Sometimes I think it was smart of me to stop my college studies 1/2 way to catch the computer wave of the early 90s. I started out at a call center making $8 per hour helping people with day to day computer issues on the phone. What I got from that job as a base or fundamentals to further my career. What people should realize is that you have to start somewhere to get anywhere and it usually means somewhere low first. The cream always rises to the top and nobody owes you anything because you achieved something elsewhere. Your degree could probably get you into somewhere, but the rest is up to you. My wife is a director and she learned from her internship days at UCF that her boss never hired anyone with a 4.0 gpa. She said they come with an attitude that they know everything and everything should be easy for them. She like the people that are always working hard to prove themselves constantly to themself. I've done quite well since my $8 per hour days and struggles and I think I could probalby make it any other profession I attack next. It's a mindset. You must submit first and then find a way to beat it and get ahead. My father was a janitor and raised a family with 6 kids and we owned our house in the 80s. I don't see why nobody can't do the same and be successful.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM

22 posts, read 82,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
Sometimes I think it was smart of me to stop my college studies 1/2 way to catch the computer wave of the early 90s. I started out at a call center making $8 per hour helping people with day to day computer issues on the phone. What I got from that job as a base or fundamentals to further my career. What people should realize is that you have to start somewhere to get anywhere and it usually means somewhere low first. The cream always rises to the top and nobody owes you anything because you achieved something elsewhere. Your degree could probably get you into somewhere, but the rest is up to you. My wife is a director and she learned from her internship days at UCF that her boss never hired anyone with a 4.0 gpa. She said they come with an attitude that they know everything and everything should be easy for them. She like the people that are always working hard to prove themselves constantly to themself. I've done quite well since my $8 per hour days and struggles and I think I could probalby make it any other profession I attack next. It's a mindset. You must submit first and then find a way to beat it and get ahead. My father was a janitor and raised a family with 6 kids and we owned our house in the 80s. I don't see why nobody can't do the same and be successful.

I totally agree with you on that. My mom owns a business, and she hates hiring people right out of college because they think they should automatically be managers, and they have major attitudes, but they don't actually want to do any work. I had two years of college, I dropped out and got job as an assistant, and two years later, due to my being so efficient at work, I'm the Manager of Ops. It's all about how much you want it, and how much you're willing to work instead of thinking that well I have a degree so I'm too good to make $10 an hour.

If you have a job making $10 an hour here in Orlando, you should be glad you even have a job because there are thousands of people who can't find jobs, or are getting layed off.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintlover313 View Post
I totally agree with you on that. My mom owns a business, and she hates hiring people right out of college because they think they should automatically be managers, and they have major attitudes, but they don't actually want to do any work. I had two years of college, I dropped out and got job as an assistant, and two years later, due to my being so efficient at work, I'm the Manager of Ops. It's all about how much you want it, and how much you're willing to work instead of thinking that well I have a degree so I'm too good to make $10 an hour.

If you have a job making $10 an hour here in Orlando, you should be glad you even have a job because there are thousands of people who can't find jobs, or are getting layed off.
Spoken like a true Floridian, proud of making $10 an hour,lol.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Spoken like a true Floridian, proud of making $10 an hour,lol.
How do you pay off thousands of dollars of student loans on $10/hr? Why bother even going to college?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
How do you pay off thousands of dollars of student loans on $10/hr? Why bother even going to college?
Exactly!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:37 PM

If you have a college degree avoid Florida like the plague! This is no place to start a career, the salaries are a joke!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
I just moved to Orlando..three months now..and just started looking for employment as well. I knew there'd be a major pay cut..but now I'm seeing for what it truly is..its killing me. I made 15 dollars an hour at age 19..not 33!! This is ridiculous!

Florida is not like it use to be..cost of living, with the exception of homes, is equivalent to the cost of living up North. This is nuts!! No matter what..just because homes are cheaper..i really dont see how it compensates, when companies arent willing to pay what homes are worth today..the maintenance..not to mention GAS, FOOD, JUST LIFE..LIVING!! How are we to cope?!! Survive?!! My goodness!!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
$15 an hour in Florida is alot. I guess %60 of Floridians make under $9
Holy CRAP!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando