Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM

67 posts, read 266,790 times

Advertisements

We would like to spend the day at a beach on Saturday (May 31) and then stay to watch the 5:00 PM (?) launch.

We are coming from Winter Garden. I need specific suggestions/directions as to where to set up "camp" for the day. We will have two families / two vehicles. Kids are ages 6-16. We'll only be able to take so much sun/surf, but will want to have a spot to hang out. Looking also for somewhere that is close to a McDonalds / Subway type place.

Any suggestions? And what time do we need to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:39 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
I would suggest Jetty Park. Its right on the beach and has an amazing view of the launch. However, it can get extremely crowded a few hours before the launch (but almost any viewing area that is good gets crowded). I suggest making a day of it and get there early. Enjoy the beach and bring a picnic and there would be no reason to leave. However, they do have refreshment stands. Admission to Jetty Park is $5.00 per car or $7.00 per RV. If you decide to camp then I think you have to get a reservation as soon as possible.

To get there from Winter Garden. Take the turnpike south to the Beachline (Rt. 582). Take the 528 east towards Cape Canaveral. When you get to the Port take the Terminal B exit. When you get off just take that road and it dead ends into Jetty Park.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM

126 posts, read 570,912 times
I'll be at OIA meeting family around that time. Do you think we'll see anything from there?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
You can see the launch from many places in Orlando. It looks like a shooting star though from the city, whereas up close it is much cooler. Kind of a cool thing to show your family when they get here if they are not from the area.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
You can see the vapor trail when it isn't cloudy even on the west coast of FL. You can also see the booster rockets if you watch it long enough.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:51 PM

126 posts, read 570,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
I would suggest Jetty Park. Its right on the beach and has an amazing view of the launch. However, it can get extremely crowded a few hours before the launch (but almost any viewing area that is good gets crowded). I suggest making a day of it and get there early. Enjoy the beach and bring a picnic and there would be no reason to leave. However, they do have refreshment stands. Admission to Jetty Park is $5.00 per car or $7.00 per RV. If you decide to camp then I think you have to get a reservation as soon as possible.

To get there from Winter Garden. Take the turnpike south to the Beachline (Rt. 582). Take the 528 east towards Cape Canaveral. When you get to the Port take the Terminal B exit. When you get off just take that road and it dead ends into Jetty Park.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, very helpful info. My visitors are due to arrive at OIA at 2pm, so if they clear immigration fairly quickly, we are going to head over that way. Or do you think we'd be crazy to drive over there so soon before the launch is scheduled?

What happens if the roads/highways get gridlocked? Are there plenty of police to organise the traffic? And if traffic is at a standstill, are you allowed to get out of your vehicle and watch the launch from wherever you happen to be stuck?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
Thanks, very helpful info. My visitors are due to arrive at OIA at 2pm, so if they clear immigration fairly quickly, we are going to head over that way. Or do you think we'd be crazy to drive over there so soon before the launch is scheduled?

What happens if the roads/highways get gridlocked? Are there plenty of police to organise the traffic? And if traffic is at a standstill, are you allowed to get out of your vehicle and watch the launch from wherever you happen to be stuck?
Why not give it a shot? The worst that could happen is that you get stuck on 528 and then I would suggest pulling over and finding a spot to view from there. If you can get to the portions of the Beach Line crossing over the Indian River (the Bennett Causeway) and the Banana River then you will get a pretty great view. Have fun!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 PM

73 posts, read 345,364 times
If you are traveling when the launch is actually happening there will be a bunch of people pulled over on the side of the road. The roads aren't normally gridlocked except maybe on the way home. Listen to the radio AM and you will hear all the broadcast

Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM

67 posts, read 266,790 times
Thanks for your suggestion. We will try Jetty Beach. Do you think 11:00 AM is early enough to arrive on Saturday? Do they rent umbrellas? Cost?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Here is a link to Jetty Park's website: Jetty Park, Cape Canaveral Florida with Campground, Pier, Beach and Fishing

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando