Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,504 times

Advertisements

Racism is everywhere, like bad drivers, ignorant people, just like any other trash. I live in East Orlando, 6 years now, is a redneck area, a lot of racism, conf flags and such. Downtown and the north areas are ok, people is accepting and really relate to each other, but you will see a lot of racism in the rural areas, people is not friendly and very territorial.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 AM

43 posts, read 180,518 times
Unhappy Oh yeah I have...

Me, my grandmother, and my two cousins were driving to my father's house to visit over in Altamonte Springs. We we're about to get onto I-4 from Lee Road goes eastbound and as we waited at the light we were approached by a van full of white suburban teens. We didn't pay them much attention as we were engaged in our own conversation.

Then all of a sudden, one of them shouted out the N-word and sped off (of course), leaving my grandmom and my cousins absolutely livid. It was awkward for me because my wife is white and I didn't know how to damage control that situation.

I've seen and experienced quite a lot of racism throughout my time in Orlando and I'd have to say it's pretty much on a steady rise but it's much to be expected in such a well diverse area.

I'm currently in Vermont now and I don't experience half the BS I did when I was in Orlando which is why I'm hesitant on moving back home. There's a lot of ignorant people all over the world but I can only hope that an understanding of myself and my family will help eliminate this stupidity.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Racism exist, you just have to deal with it. Please dont forget we will never heal the division in this country if one side gets all the blame for being racist when the other side is just as much if not more racist.

As a white woman with 2 kids we stopped to get gas, my husband started getting the gas and my kids and I walked next door to pick up some chicken to eat for the long drive from North Miama to Key West, with my kids in hand I walked into the chicken place and walked up to the counter to only see that everyone was starring us us laughin their butts off, I asked what is so funny, I thought one of my kids was doing something silly.

This young black girl said to me, do you think this is KFC and turned around and the whole group of them were rolling on the floor with laughter. I said what is so funny?

She said why would you white folk come in here for chicken? I said why not, she is KFC is the next exit down. I told her we was traveling and wanted some chicken, they began laughing again even louder.

When I asked what I thought would be the mature older black lady what is the problem she said that we havent saw a white person come in here for a long time, they just know better. When I said what? know better? She said yes, we dont welcome whites here.

I about died. Told her that is ridiculous to even think that and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I had to explain this to my young kids all the way to the keys.

See racism is both ways, I didnt even realize what they were laughing at, but they sure did. They didnt want whites in their little chicken house.

It woke me up to realize that racism is whites is getting worse everyday.

So with your case it not Orlandos fault, it not your fault, its not there fault, its ALL of our fault that we tolerate this racism crap on BOTH sides.
It wont ever heal is you cannot see that racism is many ways, not just one.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
Wow, I have certainly felt unwelcome in areas, but never been told like that so aggressively.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM

41 posts, read 219,545 times
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. My husband and I came down there last week and we loved it. We are very pleased with how we were treated. Everyone was very respectful, professional, and overall great (IMO).My husband and I are in an interracial relationship and we didn't feel uncomfortable at all. We are going to sell our house and move down there soon. I thought Orlando was a very tolerant city?! I saw soooo many different cultures and I'm shocked to hear this. When we came down to Orlando, it was the first time we(my husband and I) ever really showed affection in public and people didn't really notice us at all. The few people that did notice us smiled. I think Orlando is a nice place. From what I saw, people seemed to be more into what they were doing than what everyone else was doing, If that makes sense to you all. If you've lived in Orlando for years and this was the first time you've experienced something like that, then you are very fortunate. I hear racist **** here probably more often than you do in Orlando. That's why I can't wait to get down there.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,418 times
I was visiting my tenants in Orlando a few months ago at a condo I own and rent out when a Hispanic male drove by in his pickup truck and yelled *****! at me and put his hands to his eyes to mimic the stereotype. I just flipped him the bird and thought that he'll be renting from me soon so he'll be kissing my butt eventually. See, when you're the OTHER race, you get it from every side. I've learned to deal with it just fine and teach my kids to value people for their merits in life and not what they look like.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 PM

41 posts, read 219,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Racism exist, you just have to deal with it. Please dont forget we will never heal the division in this country if one side gets all the blame for being racist when the other side is just as much if not more racist.

As a white woman with 2 kids we stopped to get gas, my husband started getting the gas and my kids and I walked next door to pick up some chicken to eat for the long drive from North Miama to Key West, with my kids in hand I walked into the chicken place and walked up to the counter to only see that everyone was starring us us laughin their butts off, I asked what is so funny, I thought one of my kids was doing something silly.

This young black girl said to me, do you think this is KFC and turned around and the whole group of them were rolling on the floor with laughter. I said what is so funny?

She said why would you white folk come in here for chicken? I said why not, she is KFC is the next exit down. I told her we was traveling and wanted some chicken, they began laughing again even louder.

When I asked what I thought would be the mature older black lady what is the problem she said that we havent saw a white person come in here for a long time, they just know better. When I said what? know better? She said yes, we dont welcome whites here.

I about died. Told her that is ridiculous to even think that and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I had to explain this to my young kids all the way to the keys.

See racism is both ways, I didnt even realize what they were laughing at, but they sure did. They didnt want whites in their little chicken house.

It woke me up to realize that racism is whites is getting worse everyday.

So with your case it not Orlandos fault, it not your fault, its not there fault, its ALL of our fault that we tolerate this racism crap on BOTH sides.
It wont ever heal is you cannot see that racism is many ways, not just one.
Are you sure they weren't joking?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 63,982 times
No racism in Orlando it is a complete melting pot

Old 06-06-2008, 07:01 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
While I'm sorry these events happened but I'm sorrier that you feel that an entire population needs to be painted with such a broad brush because of it.

Racism is a fact of life where ever you go with every single race at fault.
Accept it and deal with it....or do your part to end it.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooch View Post
No racism in Orlando it is a complete melting pot
Yeah, and Orlando will be beachfront property soon with all this "climate change" right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando