Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 AM

216 posts, read 913,359 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Does anyone know what the commute would be like from Winter Park to the Lockheed on Sand Lake Road? Would I have to use I4, or could I take another route? About how long would it take? Thanks so much!

Also-will I be able to find a nice 3 bedroom, around 2000+ sq ft with a screened pool in Winter park for $350 - 400,000? I've looked online and it looks like that amount of money doesn't buy very much.....and lots of the houses look really dated.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
You could take Lee to John Young Parkway or make your way to Orange Blossom Trail. They are surface streets with several major intersections and long lights. They are usually moving during rush hour unless there is an accident which I am sure occurs often. Another option may be Mills to 527/Orange Ave. That may be your best bet since there are alternate routes. I-4 does get very congested in the morning around the Par Ave exit to downtown and can take the normally 10-15 minute drive to upwards of an hour.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:53 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,081 times
Wilshire really summed up the commute.

As far as finding a home in that area in your price range, you can definitely find a few homes that will match your criteria. Winter Park as a whole was built out quite a while ago so most of the homes will have a dated look on the outside, but many have been kept up to date on the insides and are very modern. You may be able to find a few newly built homes in area's builders have knocked down older homes and built new ones...however you'd be hard pressed to find them in your price range.

If you were looking for newer homes in a great area with great schools, like winter park, you should check out Dr. Phillips.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Thank you both so much. We were looking at Dr. Phillips, but read so many positive posts about Winter Park that we decided to also look there. Commute time is so important, I don't want my husband to be stuck in gridlock for hours.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Winter Park has a lot of charm and is the "old money" part of town. Dr Phillips/Windermere is like the "New Money" part of town (along with some others like Heathrow and Lake Nona) with a much more Floridian feel to Winter Park's more southern feel with the large shadowy trees. They are both very nice, but just have a very different feel to them. Parts of Winter Park remind me more of nice parts of Atlanta while nice areas of Dr. Phillips remind me of nice areas of South Florida.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Thank you Wilshire, that is really helpful. We are moving from NH and it is so hard to determine where to live.

Are there more families/kids in any of those areas? We have 2 little kids so we'd really like to be around lots of families.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM

I know the schools are great in both of those areas (many private schools too) and families live in both areas, but I would assume the demographic to be younger in Dr Phillips than Winter Park. I think the most family oriented areas in the area are Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Garden, Avalon/Waterford actually. I think a lot of families may not have the extra money to afford a home in the Winter Park or Dr Phillips areas since they are two of the most expensive areas in town.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM

73 posts, read 345,364 times
Working at Lockheed I would definitely choose Dr. Phillips over Winter Park

Old 06-18-2008, 05:13 AM

Thanks so much to everyone! I think we will stick to the original plan which was Dr. Phillips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando