Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 AM

14 posts, read 87,101 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am possibly moving to Orlando from Colorado. (I really don't want to move, but my sisters are my best friends and they live in Orlando and I want to be near them). Anyways, what is the single life like in Orlando? Where are the best bars? How easy is it to meet new friends/boyfriends? What is the male:female ratio? I am a 26-year old young professional, are there a lot of comparable single men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_001166 View Post
Hello! I am possibly moving to Orlando from Colorado. (I really don't want to move, but my sisters are my best friends and they live in Orlando and I want to be near them). Anyways, what is the single life like in Orlando? Where are the best bars? How easy is it to meet new friends/boyfriends? What is the male:female ratio? I am a 26-year old young professional, are there a lot of comparable single men?

Weekends in downtown orlando has lots of singles don`t know the ratio. Metting new friends and boyfriends should be easy.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Orlando is fairly young and has a small but active young professional community. Downtown is always full of young people, the ratio is probably about even as far as male to female (although to me it always seems like there are never enough women). The key, like any other situation, is you have to make it what you want it to be. There are many organizations to join to meet other young people...Orlando Young Professionals, Guys with Ties, Orlando Sports Social, and many ethnic groups. Alot of the arts and cultural events are a good place to meet people. First Thursdays at the Art Musuem, Wine down Wednesdays. My personal recommendation......join a gym or a sports league, you'll have no problem meeting people there. Welcome to Orlando.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Just like most other cities, women outnumber men. But it's not about the ratio, it's about the right chemistry meeting with another right chemistry. Call me old fashioned, but bars are not a good place to meet a forever friend. That's why there are so many parks, public lakes and plenty of churches for every faith or belief. Try those places first.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 29,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_001166 View Post

Where in CO are you coming from Katie?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM

732 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Colorado to Orlando. Thats like going from a Mercedes to a Kia.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

80 posts, read 295,220 times
If you think moving from Colorado to Orlando is a step down, I'm curious on what your thoughts are moving from St. Louis to Orlando? I can tell you this much, if you're 30 or older and living in St. Louis, life is, what is the word I am looking for... ah yes, BORING. Hoping downtown or near downtown living will be good for my dating life.

Everything that I have read concerning the single scene in Orlando is good. Just don't live out in the boonies where it will be hard to meet ANYONE single.

Having myself considering a move to Tampa and being single, I am excited!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:24 PM

14 posts, read 87,101 times
Thanks for all the advice! I had had a job lined up in Denver, but I'm moving here just for family. Thats my big fear, from the guy in St. Louis. I want to be 30 and single and still have a good time. I want to know there are lots of other young professionals.

What are some good clubs/organizations to join that have young professionals who like to have a good time? I like dogs, outdoor activities and sports. Any suggestions?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 61,354 times
Fleet People's dog park is always a really busy place. Young professionals usually get out there around 6pm and hang out until sunset. They bring their dogs and it is just a bunch of fun chaos, a great place to meet people. There are also great downtown events happening all summer long if you can stand the heat, just make sure you bring someone with you as the crime here sucks. I would stay out of Winter Park because it seems the only people there are either older, snooty, or spoiled Rollins college kids--unless that is a turn-on for you!
I always meet friends through work and friends of friends. I used to work for Florida Hospital and they have their own coed sports teams and groups who really stick together.
I really agree about the downgrade though. Orlando is not that nice of a town and with the transient population, you really have to make your own niche here. I disagree about the "meet them at church comment" all the people at church are little old ladies and families. Go to the clubs!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 AM

13 posts, read 38,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromMissouri View Post
If you think moving from Colorado to Orlando is a step down, I'm curious on what your thoughts are moving from St. Louis to Orlando? I can tell you this much, if you're 30 or older and living in St. Louis, life is, what is the word I am looking for... ah yes, BORING. Hoping downtown or near downtown living will be good for my dating life.

Everything that I have read concerning the single scene in Orlando is good. Just don't live out in the boonies where it will be hard to meet ANYONE single.

Having myself considering a move to Tampa and being single, I am excited!
I'm from St. Louis. I just moved to Orlando in October. There are some things that I miss that there really isn't anything comparable in Orlando, like Forest Park. You won't find the same kind of restaurants you'd come across in the CWE, the hill, etc- the I haven't found too many non-chain restaurants here with the same quality. Downtown St. Louis is bigger and has a lot more personality than downtown Orlando, IMO. I miss going to cardinals games.

One thing you will hate coming down here are the drivers. I don't know what it is with Florida drivers, but 9 out of 10 people are selfish maniacs on the road. I have to wait 2-3 seconds when the light turns green before I go because there's usually some jackass flying through the red light. The cops don't seem to care. People here always whine about traffic, but they actually have it pretty well compared to St. Louis (highway 40 construction made my 45min work commute turn into 2 hours of stop and go, and I only lived 26 miles from work).

Single scene is good. I've dated quite a few women since moving to Orlando, but I don't know if I could ever settle down here. I don't mean to generalize, but I've noticed a difference in character between many of the women here vs the women in the midwest. I can't really describe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando