Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 28,197 times

Advertisements

I was the original poster of "Orlando, what is wrong with this place" in November of last year. I simply wanted to air a question and my opinion, not initiate so much anger and animosity. I think I may have proved my opinion by virtue that the thread had to actually be shut down due to, what I pointed out in my original post, AGGRESSION! Please, everyone remain civil and cordial and voice your opinions in a passive and polite manner, whether you're Mickey-Mad or a Florida-Fan.

I just returned from Christmas vacation in South Africa and viewed the remainer of the previously posted thread. It's hard getting back into the swing of things in the "so-called" city beautiful. I wish those staying the best of luck and hope people can find happiness in the Metro a la Mouse. I however will be moving westward, where there is no humidity, there are crashing oceans on rocky coasts, mountains, more distinct seasons, laid-back people that can actually drive (maybe locals, maybe too many tourists, jury's still out on that one).

God speed... Those who want to stay... please do and try positively improve Orlando, those who want to leave, make yourselves happy and take the plunge!

Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
I forget the publication, but I got a kick out of the survey of "America's most Angry Cities".....

Guess who was #1 ???!!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:27 PM

26 posts, read 95,096 times
"Surveys" are generally meaningless, and I too would encourage the extremely vocally and aggressively unhappy amongst us to try their luck in some other part of the world rather than simply complain ad infinitum and blame their outlook upon geography or their neighbors.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 AM

It wasn't a "survey" based on asking people.... It was based on various criteria they laid out... Traffic, violent crime as well as health issues, etc... (of course my first thought was that health concerns wasn't fair based on the # of elderly in Florida, but hey...)

And don't worry.... This disgruntled Orlandoian IS planning on getting out of here.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
It wasn't a "survey" based on asking people.... It was based on various criteria they laid out... Traffic, violent crime as well as health issues, etc...
I can juggle the "criteria" in a similarly arbitrary manner give you a result that names any city in the USA as the happiest, angriest, fattest, fittest, etc. Its an academic point and has no real correlation to how people see their own lives and treat their fellow man in their communities ... but its a great "talking point" for the persistently pessimistic.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
How many other city boards have you all seen where there's a constant battle between residents over whether the place s*cks or not???
From what I've seen, just about every city-data board and every Craigslist rant and rave board, for every city in the USA has a substantial portion of its posts on the topic of "sucks vs. doesn't suck."

This is the internet. Everyone hates everything here. You seem to be one of the vocal detractors using "data" and opinion to bolster your personal position as if it were incontrovertible fact.

It's not.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

Yes you are. I'm calling you on this one.

"I just can't stand the weather"

"the area is a historical dead zone (I'm a history buff)"

"I didn't move here expecting to stay, but circumstances kept me here much longer than I wanted"

"[i] am disgusted by the over-development occurring here"

"I'm just a four seasons kinda guy"

"Enjoy the eternal inferno here"

You hate Orlando, and everything in your post reflects this. Please, get out now and spare your self and us any more grief with your dissatisfaction for this place. Why wait - it's winter in Denver right now!
LOL!!!! Ladies and gentlemen!!! "Love it or leave it". You heard it here first!!!

The negatives outweigh the positives for me, that's all.... If it helps you to label me as "just another hater", then more power to you....

Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbank View Post
From what I've seen, just about every city-data board and every Craigslist rant and rave board, for every city in the USA has a substantial portion of its posts on the topic of "sucks vs. doesn't suck."

This is the internet. Everyone hates everything here. You seem to be one of the vocal detractors using "data" and opinion to bolster your personal position as if it were incontrovertible fact.

It's not.
No, you'd be trying to suggest that I'm trying to convince others to hate the place. I'm not. It just isn't for me which is why I've qualified EVERY reason that I dislike the place.

-"I'm a history buff", which is why I care that Orlando is dead with regards to interesting history. Some wouldn't care.

-"I'm a four seasons kind of guy", meant to explain that I would dislike the climate in San Diego equally as much. I even further explained that circumstances have forced me to remain here (so as to explain why I'm still here to the "love it or leave it" response, but I got that anyway... ).

-"overdevelopment", please.... I'd love to see someone attempt to refute this fact. Winter Springs is being strip-mined all along 434.

Check Men's Health Magazine. They're the one's that rated Orlando the "Angriest City in the U.S."..... Came as a surprise to me too.

But if it helps you all to shoot the messenger go ahead. BTW, do you think the 270% year over year increase in violent crime is some sort of made up "data" ??? It is an incontrovertible fact. I even gave my reasoning for why I think it's so out of whack with the rest of the country, but I guess you just glossed over that as inconsistent of your proof that I'm "just a hater".....

Old 01-16-2007, 02:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
When they named Orlando the "angriest city" I don't believe they were implying that residents were walking around angry with chips on their shoulders etc. But if road rage is one of the criteria well I believe Orlando was rightfully selected. The roads are too full and people take out there frustrations behind the wheel. Just last week there were two articles in the local paper the (Sentinel) regarding the deaths of teens and young adults on these sports bikes and they do not stop when the police officer attempts to pull them over. Also there has been several officers killed by motorist that refuse to stop. The opressive humidity also adds fuel to the fire and I personally believe Orlando is an angry city. And that is what I believe the rating meant-not that your friends and neighbors walk around grumpy!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
When they named Orlando the "angriest city" I don't believe they were implying that residents were walking around angry with chips on their shoulders etc. But if road rage is one of the criteria well I believe Orlando was rightfully selected. The roads are too full and people take out there frustrations behind the wheel. Just last week there were two articles in the local paper the (Sentinel) regarding the deaths of teens and young adults on these sports bikes and they do not stop when the police officer attempts to pull them over. Also there has been several officers killed by motorist that refuse to stop. The opressive humidity also adds fuel to the fire and I personally believe Orlando is an angry city. And that is what I believe the rating meant-not that your friends and neighbors walk around grumpy!
True, I believe rates of hypertension was one of the criteria..... One would note in the survey that at least 4 Florida cities made the top 10....

Hmmmmm, now what about Florida could explain why hypertension is so prevelent??? Bet there's a hint in the census data that has nothing to do with "anger"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando