U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:36 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,712,408 times

Advertisements

When its in the 70s we don't have the AC on and I do have the windows open at night. BUT at that time of the year it gets even cooler at night.

When we were less concerned about someone breaking in I had the sliders open to the screened in lanai at times at night.

I just couldn't survive here without AC in the summer. Its 90 degrees outside as I type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,809,343 times
From about november to early april you are able to open your windows and air out the house during the day sometimes the nights are a bit cool to leave them open but you don`t have to run the heat often.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 PM

13,569 posts, read 23,130,984 times
You know it is amazing isn't it, if you think about how A/C hasn't been around all that long. Ppl used fans to keep cool but then they didn't work in a/c buildings or drive around in a/c cars. Of course you opened your windows at night and during the day even if you weren't home. Can't do that now a days.

InternDoc.. check back with us next year and let us know if you can still sleep with no A/C. After the first year, ppl usually feel the heat more than they did the first year.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM

765 posts, read 1,763,498 times
Florida did not really begin to grow until after air conditioning came along.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 AM

11 posts, read 23,618 times
Default no a/c when I was a kid

When I grew up in Orlando, we didn't have a/c . . . I don't remember giving it a second thought . . . we had fans in the windows (old wooden house w/big enough windows & sills to place the fans in the windows), blowing in or out (depending on the particular family members theory--I preferred blowing in). I was always comfortable at night. We also lived in a house surrounded by oak (shade) trees, so even the daytime wasn't that bad, especially b/c it used to rain every afternoon like clockwork in the summer.

*But* I would never dream of not having the a/c now. I suppose the nights are a tad bit warmer, the daily rains are not as reliable, and (biggest factor for me now) I wouldn't feel comfortable with the possibility of crime. But that's probably just paranoia b/c crime isn't a big deal, at least not where I live.

So, bottom line, I think you could survive w/fans.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:34 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,828,170 times
I think everyone pretty much said it all. However, your question about if you become accustomed to the heat... I would have to say yes you do. Today I went to Sea World and it was a hot one but I was handling it a lot better than the people who were not from this area. The same goes for living without or with limited air conditioning. My in-laws rarely use AC. They use ceiling fans and keep it very dark inside their house. I couldn't live that way but that is what they are accustomed to and they have no problems with the house in the upper 80's.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:40 PM

16 posts, read 38,097 times
I may have inadvertly given people the impression that I am suggesting NEVER using AC, but more I was curious if you weaned yourself off of using it constantly would you adjust. I read a post on another thread and the poster said he ran AC and I'm quoting......"24/7 and it's 80 out and I am running it now". It just seems to me that the purpose of living in the tropics is to enjoy fresh air and sunshine and not sit in the house all day with the windows closed up. I know the people that are heat sensitive are very vocal and think I'm whacked, but just wanted some people who are heat tolarant as I am to chime in (and thanks to the few other "whackos" here who seem to think moderate AC use is reasonable.)

I am more suprised by the number of people who would not consider leaving their windows open for safety/crime reasons.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,574,060 times
My concern would be more about burglars than bugs. And no if you are moving to Seminole County or Winter Park I would not worry about burglars unless you live on 13th St. in Sanford or around Aloma.

But yes, people on CD are very sensitive to humidity and crime that they see on the news. However burglary is a very real risk when you are just leaving your windows wide open. If it's the first floor it really is asking for trouble to leave your windows open, "good" neighborhood or bad neighborhood, Florida or the promised land. Most burglars specifically target easy homes like that.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM

359 posts, read 804,816 times
I almost never open my house up. Now that I think of it, this is a little strange, because when I lived in the Mid Atlantic states, we used to use the AC only on the hottest days. We would only open the upstairs windows and close the downstairs windows, in case of thieves. Of course, summer in the Mid Atlantic is not the same as summer in Florida.

I think most Florida homes these days are simply not designed to be opened up. They are designed to be air conditioned, and need to be protected from the humidity. My AC once went out for a few days, and by the time it was finally fixed, the ceiling was starting to sag! If I lived in an older house, with high ceilings, plaster or wooden walls, and big windows, then I could probably get away with opening the house up.

One thing I will never adjust to, however, is the intensity of the sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando