Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,186 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We'll be in Orlando for 2 weeks after Thanksgiving, visiting family but will be spending a good amount of time doing WDW. So, my question is, what kinds of fun things are there to do besides theme parks. We'll do WdW for about 3-5 days depending on how our 2 yr old does. But we were thinking about going to the coast or is there a zoo or museum in town? We'll have a rental car and wouldn't mind driving 1-2 hours to go someplace really cool. DH does not want to go to Kennedy space center so that's out. I need some fun family activities that are not Disney related.

Thanks so much!!
Angela
In Phoenix, AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
Over in Tampa is (MOSI) Museum of science which i hear is interesting. You can google that for more info. Daytona can be fun too. If your interested in NASCAR, Daytona USA is a family fun spot. I wasn't really into NASCAR myself but i still enjoyed myself there. You can have a guided tour around the race track, there's an arcade room inside with a variety of different games to play. across the street from the speedway is a go cart place, arcades and a place where you can actually drive a dragster (on a track of course) all under one building. Further up along the Daytona strip you'll find mini golf and shopping for souveniers.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Orlando science center and Gator land are some other things lake eola park and some nice shops and restaurants in Thornton park in downtown and Park ave in winter park is really nice also.

There is also a bunch to do around International Drive and you can also goto Old town off 192 alot of nice shops and places to eat plus rides for kids and adults. I think Saturday nights has a old car show, it`s really fun.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Thinking of things a 2 year old would enjoy....there is the Sanford ZOO....of course the beach.

Is the 2 year old a boy or girl? If a girl, she may enjoy one of Florida's oldest attractions...Weeki Wachee Springs and the mermaids. They have beautiful springs, a great mermaid show, animal shows and a riverboat cruise. It's in Spring Hill - about 1 1/2 hours from Orlando, I think.

Are you doing Sea World? Most young children enjoy Sea World because of the animals and there's a great Luau. Be sure to take in a character breakfast while you're at Disney. You definitely want to do Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. I doubt a 2 year old would get anything out of Epcot or probably even MGM.

Have fun!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
There is also a zoo in Melborne and Cocoa Beach pier.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Orlando science center and Gator land are some other things lake eola park and some nice shops and restaurants in Thornton park in downtown and Park ave in winter park is really nice also.

There is also a bunch to do around International Drive and you can also goto Old town off 192 alot of nice shops and places to eat plus rides for kids and adults. I think Saturday nights has a old car show, it`s really fun.
Yeah...the car show is great fun! Also...you can try either Fun Place location, Wet 'n Wild and let's not forget Universal and Sea World!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:04 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
On your way to Tampa via I-4 you could stop off at the Fantasy of Flight in Polk City:

Fantasy of Flight, World's Greatest Aircraft Collection <-- They have a decent retro diner there as well (awesome milk shakes).

Also in the area in Winter Haven is Cypress Gardens:

Cypress Gardens "Florida's First Theme Park"

In Lake Wales is Bok Towers:

Historic Bok Sanctuary

In Tampa I would check out the Florida Aquarium:

The Florida Aquarium - Tampa Bay

Also the Lowry Park Zoo:

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo

Also Bush Gardens:

Welcome to Busch Gardens <-- maybe you could get a dual park pass for Sea World and Bush Gardens (I think they also offer free bus service between the 2).

You should also take a drive down Bayshore Blvd:

Bayshore Boulevard

I hear Ybor Village is a nice place to check out also during the daytime:

Ybor City, Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would NOT go to MOSI. Everyone I talk to say it's not worth it. Dirty, run down, broken displays, etc...

Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Agree with Markhunt about MOSI. It was really nice in it's time.....not so much anymore. I think a science center wouldn't be appropriate for most 2 year olds - but OSC - Orlando Science Center is much better than MOSI these days. It's beautiful. If you're going to a Science Center - it's the one to choose.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
If you have time you might want to check out Blue Springs State Park...this is where the Manatee's "winter"
You also might want to check out the petting zoo out in Kissimmee. Green Meadows Petting Farm in Kissimmee Florida is the farm animal educational adventure kids love!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM

216 posts, read 913,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Agree with Markhunt about MOSI. It was really nice in it's time.....not so much anymore. I think a science center wouldn't be appropriate for most 2 year olds - but OSC - Orlando Science Center is much better than MOSI these days. It's beautiful. If you're going to a Science Center - it's the one to choose.

We went to the OSC for the first time today. If you have a 2 year old, you may want to try the lower level first (one level down from the main entrance).

We stayed about 2 hours just in that area. My kids are 2 and 4.5. They loved it! They have an area with baby alligators, turtles, fish, snakes etc.

There are a few large water tables with boats and stuff to play with (so the kids do get wet). They have story time, a little play kitchen area, a tree house, an auto-mechanic area and a few other things.

There's probably much more on the other floors for older kids, but the little kids area was good enough for a few hours.

It was very cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando