Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,168 times

Advertisements

http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlando/227188-anyone-work-disney-2.html#post7935453"]Working @ Disney[/URL]

Does anyone know what a girl would make as a general secretary
or one who would handle the show they put on in one of the parks like Animal Kingdom's the Lion King, (only one I could think of its been a long time since I was there)... I have exp as a sec and a bit of exp in local shows thinking about moving there but have to be able to afford the rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 AM

76 posts, read 664,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerwant2b View Post
Working @ Disney

Does anyone know what a girl would make as a general secretary
or one who would handle the show they put on in one of the parks like Animal Kingdom's the Lion King, (only one I could think of its been a long time since I was there)... I have exp as a sec and a bit of exp in local shows thinking about moving there but have to be able to afford the rent
You can usually afford rent working at Disney. Working in most starting positions will qualify you to rent in government assisted low income housing and you can get some pretty good deals. There are quite a few apartments around the Disney area that participate in the program that aren't too bad. The only catch is you are required to give them pay stubs any time the government decides to check up on them you have to make over a certain amount and under a certain amount, most Disney job start in this range. Cagan Crossings near 192 & 27 is a good one their studio is usually around $400 a month. Also another good option is renting a garage apartment in Celebration they usually go from $600 - $900 a month and include utilities.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Disney isn't hiring right now, and I've heard from a neighbor who is a seasonal that he was told they will not be using most of their seasonals this summer.

As far as secretarial jobs, they are very, very competitive and generally require a four year degree and at least 3-5 years of experience.

The people that actually "run" the shows are in technical services and have worked their way up--you don't just get hired off the street for that position. If you have a background in sound, lighting, or stage management you can put in your application, but I'll tell you that since Pleasure Island shut down, they have had a lot of extra bodies, so don't expect anything more than casual p/t to start. Having a valid FL pyro license will be helpful and get your more hours much quicker.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:25 PM

13 posts, read 27,807 times
I worked at disney for a few years, mostly seasonal/pt during school and 1.5 years afterwards. I grew to hate the place. After a good year after I left I got an annual pass. Some observations

*Retail sucks.
*Most Disney jobs are standing room only (don't expect to sit)
*They have a very big, very lathargic bureaucracy.
*From the parking lot commutes (I planned 1/2 hour from arriving at the Magic Kingdom cast parking lot to find a space, ride the bus, and finally walk to my work area) Working in the hotels was a lot better. I still love the contemporary. Downtown disney cast parking is across the street behind the hess station in comparason
*Retail sucks.
*Polyester pirate suits outside in the middle of summer is terrible too. Working squeezebreeze carts was worse. (Plus is that I got acclimated to florida quick)
*You get to see it all. From the pregnant women passing out from the heat or seeing a kid try and run in front of a moving coaster car to making someone's vacation special or hitting on tinkerbell.
*Did i mention retail sucks? Quick service foods too.

So what do you need to do to get a pyro license?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds View Post
So what do you need to do to get a pyro license?
Great post, I feel your pain!

No idea on the pyro license, but that's one groups of workers that Disney seems to always have availability for. Anytime they light off fireworks--even the small gerbs at some of the shows--they need a licensed pyro technician to set it up and launch it.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,558 times
im lookin for a job at disney

Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,558 times
Post job

any job at disney

Old 05-18-2009, 02:21 PM

www.disneycareers.com

Apply there, we can't help you here.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
anneerk.....LOL... Don't you love people who come on here and ask questions they can easily find the answer to at their fingertips?

I doubt Disney is hiring, but they want go getters.

Maybe Alex would like someone to fill out the application for him, do the job, and drop the paycheck off at his house....LOL.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM

79 posts, read 214,587 times
When I lived in Florida 2006-2008, I worked for Disney, @ EPCOT, I was what they call a Presenter....basically doing shows at Innoventions. I was paid 8.00 an hour and allowed to bring my family in 12 times per year and they also gave me 4 passes for friends to come 1X per year. There were blackout dates as well for employees. I really loved it, BUT...it was an EXTRA job for me.......I am lucky to have a spouse who supports the family and this was basically to get out of the house, so the low pay wasn't an issue. I don't know how anyone could survive on that pay.
When we return to Florida in June to move, I will reapply, even if they are not hiring right now. It was a fun job...many of the posts here are right on though.......make sure you add half an hour to your commute time just to park and get into where you work, the clothes are scary looking and uncomfortable and they made me wear 2 sizes larger than what I normally wear to fit Disney standards. I loved the people I worked with and have heard that EPCOT has the "happiest" Disney employes with less turnover. Most of my co workers were retired couples, which I thought was a wonderful idea that they could commute together, have lunch together and so on. Know what your getting into beore you go and you won't be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando