U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,708,955 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on jobs that older people get at Disney World? Do many retirees work there for extra money.

I know that wages are low. I know there are people who cannot stand DW. But, I compare things to my tour in Vietnam. I don't look down on working and have done some crappy jobs in my time.

I just am trying to get some idea of DW hiring practices for older folks; in my case 62 and healthy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,794,048 times
A lot of retirees work as bus drivers at Disney and in the retail areas of the parks. However, you can not expect big buck working there for these types of jobs but they do offer good benefits. They look for people with good work history and big personalities. Here is a link to their job line and some pointers on what Disney looks for in an employee: Walt Disney World Resort Career Opportunities

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,708,955 times
Default Thank You

Thank you. I still hope someone out there who has personal experience either working at Disney or has worked there will chime in. I read some posts from college students who worked there under the college program. Some liked it, others did not. No surprise.

But thanks again for your reply.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,794,048 times
I worked for Disney for almost 5 years and enjoyed it a lot.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 34,308 times
Hi,
I though I would like to drive one of those boat taxi's, one of the cast members told me Disney will train anyone to drive a boat taxi. A lot of the boat captains looked well over 60. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,342,606 times
I worked seasonally for WDW in the parking area for MGM Studio's. It was great. Driving the tram was fun. The only down side was all the time you'd spend in the SUN and of course lots of walking. I needed plenty of water. Good luck w/your WDW career!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,552,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I worked seasonally for WDW in the parking area for MGM Studio's. It was great. Driving the tram was fun. The only down side was all the time you'd spend in the SUN and of course lots of walking. I needed plenty of water. Good luck w/your WDW career!
"Please wait for the tram to come to a full and complete stop." I always wondered what other kind of stop there is other than a full and complete stop? Is there a rolling stop? No...that's called slowing down. What other kind of stop is there?

Sorry...just kidding but that drives me NUTS!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

5,826 posts, read 6,144,037 times
I worked at WDW for 24 years and only left because I moved out of the state. If there were a Disney park where I am now, I would be the first in line at the casting center.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
"Please wait for the tram to come to a full and complete stop." I always wondered what other kind of stop there is other than a full and complete stop? Is there a rolling stop? No...that's called slowing down. What other kind of stop is there?

Sorry...just kidding but that drives me NUTS!
Yeah I remember being required to say that. WDW was all over that stuff. Full and complete stop.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM

78 posts, read 264,413 times
I am not in my 60s, but I am a seasonal cast member. I really enjoying working at WDW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando