U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,847 times

Advertisements

Have a possible opportunity to accept a position in Orlando but need some help in deciding what to do. I would have a salary of 57K and would be working near all the theme parks. Universal, Sea World ect. I was looking at the Sand Lake area which is close by and seems to have some newer townhomes to rent for arround 1400/mo. Is this a good area? I would have roughly $2200 monthly expenses (after rent) for utilities, food, ect for a family of 4. How much are average utilites/expenses out there? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,447,434 times
HI. If you look in the general part of this forum, Pianogal gave a very good budget for someone moving to Orlando. It was put there before the four sub-forums were created. I bumped it to near the top of the forum. It should give you just the info you're looking for.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:07 PM

93 posts, read 299,110 times
Sand Lake is not the nicest neighborhood. What are the ages of your kids? You can get something comparable in the Lake Nona area.

Last edited by Jammie; 04-28-2007 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: link removed

Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 46,237 times
Default Don't go!

If you are concerned about your personal safety and you have children-this is not the place for you! You can't even walk any of the streets anymore!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM

So what are the best areas within 15 min of Universal, SeaWorld? I have a Range of $300K-325K? Thanks for your help everyone!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsty333 View Post
Sand Lake is not the nicest neighborhood. What are the ages of your kids? You can get something comparable in the Lake Nona area. Check out www.investinlakenona.com great site with lots of info. It will give you an idea of what is available, rents, etc.
Thanks for the tip. I'm checking it out.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltyemi View Post
If you are concerned about your personal safety and you have children-this is not the place for you! You can't even walk any of the streets anymore!
What happened? I had a friend who lived in that area say it was real nice? Did this happen recently?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 72,981 times
I also agree - Lake Nona is very nice. However, the Sand Lake area is nothing to scoff at either. Plus, they have some of the best restaurants in all of Orlando. I like it very much over there.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 23,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykmaster View Post
So what are the best areas within 15 min of Universal, SeaWorld? I have a Range of $300K-325K? Thanks for your help everyone!
Strykmaster: I moved to Orlando from the Chicago suburbs last October. I don't know if you're from a larger metro area or not, but here's my take on Orlando: All areas are crime-ridden! I mean no offense to anyone, but I call it like I see it. Home invasions are the soup du jour for this part of the country. A recent feature on highest crime areas were streets called "Parramore" and "Anderson -- out of the first 7 homocides for 2007, 6 came out of that area. There is crime in Bay Hill, Dr. Phillips, trailer parks, etc. I've never seen anything like it - and I've lived in Chicago for the past 25 years. I've personally witnessed people break traffic laws right in front of Orlando cops, and they did nothing. Where I'm from, it would have been an instant ticket! To me, the worse part of this is that no area is safe -- you can get robbed at the ritzies malls, the best neighborhoods, the worse neighborhoods. The only thing that you can do is to be aware of your surroundings and alert at all times. Don't get me wrong -- not many sections of the country are free from the escalating madness going on, but I was so surprised at the level of crime here that I put my home up for sale so that I can move to another state. I'm researching crime statistics now, and I haven't been encouraged thus far. I do know, however, that for a relatively small town, Orlando's crime rate, property taxes, homeowners' insurance is off the charts!

Also, everything in this town is only 20 minutes away from everything else -- depending on the traffic. In that regard, I wouldn't even think about living right next to Disney or Universal Studios, unless you live close enough to walk to work.

I hope I haven't offended anyone -- but, oh well.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 PM

1,682 posts, read 5,912,126 times
[quote=PamT726;395752]Strykmaster: I moved to Orlando from the Chicago suburbs last October. I don't know if you're from a larger metro area or not, but here's my take on Orlando: All areas are crime-ridden! I mean no offense to anyone, but I call it like I see it. Home invasions are the soup du jour for this part of the country.

If you're interested in seeing the real figures for crime in Central Florida or just your neigborhood, you can easily do so by visiting www dot ocso dot com. Once there click on Crime Prevention then Property Crimes and Robberies. This will direct you to a site in which you can enter your address and find your zone. Once you have the zone in which you reside, you are able to pull your statistical information. This information goes back 90 days. Or you can just look at the stats for the whole area. After all I have read on this board, I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the entire Central Florida area. In my zone there was only 1 incident in the past 3 months. In the zone where I loved previously, there was only 3 in the past 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando